The online racing simulator
George: He meant the "small economical low power cars"...
Wait Wait Wait Just look at this

Quote :Jertje
Since when do you require special skills to make an overpowered RWD car spin out, really... isn't it's supposed to be exactly the other way around?

Quote :Ball Bearing Turbo
Any RWD production car will understeer unless you (pretty much intentionally) induce oversteer anyway. The average dolt comming into a corner too hot will understeer in any normal RWD regardless. Manufacturers intentionally build understeer into production vehicles for - (dramatic pause) Safety Reasons(TM).

Conflict of intrust(sp)???

e: huh?
Quote from lalathegreat :
Considering the the hardware Gt4 is on, its a Excelent job of a sim.[Remember ps2 was designed in late 90es]

A certain piece of software codenamed "RBR" ran fine on that hardware..?
Quote from Jeff_117 :Wait Wait Wait Just look at this
Conflict of intrust(sp)???

So, in your mind production car = overpowered?
AHH, that's what he was talking about.

Well, he missed the context. How many people out there would instinctively mash the throttle to induce oversteer & save a car plowing through (away from) a bend?
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :AHH, that's what he was talking about.

Well, he missed the context. How many people out there would instinctively mash the throttle to induce oversteer & save a car plowing through (away from) a bend?

Most people I see are still on the brakes hard until they stop =P
And it isn't usually the brakes that stop them
Yeah, RWD cars understeer into a corner when speeding, as was intended when they are manufactured for safety reasons, but if you're in a RWD car with and you mash the throttle in the middle of a corner, what's it honestly going to do? Understeer more? Brake? Or maybe create a rainbow and automatically drive to the moon, where it has tea with deceased racing drivers?

It'll oversteer, it's simply physics. When regular people experience understeer or oversteer, they will brake like hell, it's natural.
Cars are manufactured to understeer because (amongst other factors) because of that. I'd rather be sitting next to someone braking under understeer, than braking under oversteer.

Conclusion:

You're taking the wrong arguments into the wrong context Jeff. Any decently built car will understeer naturally for safety reasons, but as was said: if you intentionally want to make a car oversteer, it won't be too difficult in a powerful RWD car. It's practically impossible to do in GT4 though, unless you use a crapload of momentum to swing the ass of the car around, don't you agree?
You could also say that you can make a FWD oversteer intentionally, which I have done on many occasions.

ehh whats the argument about again?

ohh I know, it's about GT4 "simulating" racecars.

I definatly agree that in GT4 the cars are glued to the track for the most part and the lower powered vehicles don't spin easy. But if they did behave like real cars why would people play? Especally with joysticks... I mean jeez I know many peopel that play gt4 with the arrow pad and the buttons! crazy thing is they are almost as fast as me =P
Quote from Jertje :extensive text

I was just about to defend myself when I realized you were not talking to me... Apparantly the concept of context is lost on me also; must be the name

Quote from Viper93 :You could also say that you can make a FWD oversteer intentionally, which I have done on many occasions.

Especially with your nifty pseudo-locking differential
If you die can I have your car? Your wife has her own right?

Quote :
ohh I know, it's about GT4 "simulating" racecars.

I still find it humourous but very frustrating that any human with some sort of information processing ability has the nerve to call certain titles "sim". If it has it on the box, people assume it must be true and can't find blatantly obvious problems with the vehicular dynamics. That always amazes me. illepall
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :

Especially with your nifty pseudo-locking differential
If you die can I have your car? Your wife has her own right?

LOL Sure if you plan on shipping it back fron England

Hehe yeah this diff they have in the car is very nice, the 250 pounds of toque helps a bit too =) Powerslide here I come =) and people say FWD's understeer *pffft* =) "Look Ma I can see where I am going while looking out the drivers side window" =)
Just got Enthusia - and its physics are by far better than GT4's. You have the ultimate FWD-full-throttle-understeer, nicely perdictable power-oversteer and you can even catch a slide. But the car-upgrading system and the setup is utterly crap... I'd love to see GT4 with enthusia physics. Maybe it'll work if I insert both DVDs at once. Which should be on top, that I don't get the opposite?
Good one, if there's any racing game on console (PS2) that has physics close enough to real life, that'd be Enthusia, it just feels right the first time I played it, with a wheel of course.
Enthusia gotta be the most under rated sim ever.
To be honest, this thread has made me a bit curious about the next installment of GT. It will be released for the most powerful console out there, which ''has the processing power of a supercomputer'' (Sony ;D)
If the PS2 posed certain limitations on a physical level, they should be no problem for the PS3, right?
Quote from Jertje :To be honest, this thread has made me a bit curious about the next installment of GT. It will be released for the most powerful console out there, which ''has the processing power of a supercomputer'' (Sony ;D)
If the PS2 posed certain limitations on a physical level, they should be no problem for the PS3, right?

IMO PD is definitely capable of creating an extremely good SIM racing game, but that's rarely the case for the console market due to many aspects.

Just imagine if PD has the mentality just like Scavier... I mean, seriously... They could really come up with something out of this world... it'll be like...WHOA!!
Live For Speed ( :bowdown: ) makes GT4 feel/look like an arcade game, that's how big the difference is!
Jertje Yeah, RWD cars understeer into a corner when speeding, as was intended when they are manufactured for safety reasons, but if you're in a RWD car with and you mash the throttle in the middle of a corner, what's it honestly going to do? Understeer more? Brake? Or maybe create a rainbow and automatically drive to the moon, where it has tea with deceased racing drivers?

It'll oversteer, it's simply physics. When regular people experience understeer or oversteer, they will brake like hell, it's natural.
Cars are manufactured to understeer because (amongst other factors) because of that. I'd rather be sitting next to someone braking under understeer, than braking under oversteer.

Conclusion:

You're taking the wrong arguments into the wrong context Jeff. Any decently built car will understeer naturally for safety reasons, but as was said: if you intentionally want to make a car oversteer, it won't be too difficult in a powerful RWD car. It's practically impossible to do in GT4 though, unless you use a crapload of momentum to swing the ass of the car around, don't you agree?

I totaly agree with you there.

and look at this page i stumbled upon while looking for info on GT4 mobile

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/index.html

Not as many employes as we all thought (approx )
btw for those who own the PS3, GTHD is available for download on 24th of dec.
On the off topic of Enthusia, definately the most underrated PS2 game ever. The racing is much closer to the likes of LFS than it is GT4, you can drift in it, and it feels natural like LFS does, obviously not the case in GT4. Pfft. FF ain't half bad either. Has the 'ring as well, although GT4's version is much better.

Shame everything else about Enthusia was rubbish, from the menus, the music to the silly scoring system. Never could make sense of the intro vid either
w00t, 200th post is mine! :banana:

I only have to say that I'm frankly amazed that a GT4/LFS comparison thread has lasted for 7 pages! I would've thought the subject was a no-brainer, but then again I thought invading Iraq (or, rather, NOT invading it) was a no-brainer. Goes to show I suppose

Sounds like I'd like Enthusia - the driving bits anyway. I just borrowed GT4 from a friend to get reacquainted with it. First thing I did was try and get my 300+hp RX7 sideways into the tunnel at Special Stage R5. What did I get? A big ol' bunch of understeer! Felt like driving a bloody XF GTi. Took me about ten minutes until I shut the PS2 off in disgust without saving the game - plus I'd forgotten how bloody annoying the menus are! Bah humbug!
Quote from Hankstar :
I only have to say that I'm frankly amazed that a GT4/LFS comparison thread has lasted for 7 pages! I would've thought the subject was a no-brainer, but then again I thought invading Iraq (or, rather, NOT invading it) was a no-brainer. Goes to show I suppose

Actually, the topic is all about GT4, not really a comparison with LFS, and it has meandered off into a discussion about other games. The topic doesn't really belong in the LFS discussion section, so I've moved it to off topic.
Guess I'm the no-brainer then *sigh*
That'll teach me to not read something I'm no longer interested in

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG