The online racing simulator

Poll : Your wheel turn compensation value

I use 0.01 and my G25 is set at 540 degrees.
With any setting, if the turns on your actual wheel are the same as the ingame wheel, then it will do nothing. It is a more intelligent solution than the non-linearity setting (SCR) that mouse drivers have.

At a setting of 0.0, your wheel always translates linearly to the ingame wheel, but the rotation of your wheel could be completely different to the ingame wheel (i.e. turns lock-to-lock).

At a setting of 1.0, if you have more lock on your actual wheel, the response will stay linear but speed up so that when you have turned as far as the ingame wheel can go, the extra turn on your actual wheel does nothing. If you have less lock than what the ingame wheel has, then at the centre position, the sensitivity will be reduced so that it appears that you really had enough lock, but as you apply lock, the steering works in a non-linear fashion so that both wheels reach maximum lock at the same time.

Clear? :S
errr........yeah, clear as muddy water mate
Uhhh no
Quote from Bob Smith :With any setting, if the turns on your actual wheel are the same as the ingame wheel, then it will do nothing. It is a more intelligent solution than the non-linearity setting (SCR) that mouse drivers have.

At a setting of 0.0, your wheel always translates linearly to the ingame wheel, but the rotation of your wheel could be completely different to the ingame wheel (i.e. turns lock-to-lock).

At a setting of 1.0, if you have more lock on your actual wheel, the response will stay linear but speed up so that when you have turned as far as the ingame wheel can go, the extra turn on your actual wheel does nothing. If you have less lock than what the ingame wheel has, then at the centre position, the sensitivity will be reduced so that it appears that you really had enough lock, but as you apply lock, the steering works in a non-linear fashion so that both wheels reach maximum lock at the same time.

Clear? :S

Sorry no it isn't clear. Can you dumb it down anymore?
#31 - arco
DFP, set at 0.15 compensation and 180 degrees (Yes I'm lazy )
Quote from Bob Smith :Clear? :S

I know what wheel turn compensation does, but this still confused me
-
(EiE_Painkiller) DELETED by EiE_Painkiller : inaccurate
With compensation, it's less sensitive around centre, but more sensitive as you apply lock in either direction. (hence non linear)

I used to use 1 when I had a 270 wheel because then around the centre, it was more like having a 720 wheel. Close to centre (which is where you are most of the time) the wheel rotation matches the virtual wheel rotation, but as you move away from centre the virtual wheel "speeds up" so that when your real 270 wheel is at full lock, so is the virtual 720 wheel.

With 0.0, the sensitivity is the same all the time and x deg of real wheel = y degrees of ingame wheel. Both methods have max virtual lock and max real lock obtained at the same time. Hence one is linear (the latter), and one is non-linear and superior (the former)
Thanks Ball Bearing Turbo
Now I think I get it.
when i was driving with mouse, i was using 0.6 but after i bought my DFP, i switched it to 0.0 (360/540/720 or 900 degrees sometimes)
Just set it to 1.0 and then set your DFP/G25 to 900 degrees and forget about them.
I really never messed with the Wheel Turn Compensation in LFS, but now that it has been explained in this thread I am going to be setting it to 0.0 and changing the G25 Rotation Degrees in the Control Panel to match each car I drive in.

I will also be setting Maximum Steering Lock in the Garage to be fairly low, close to what the tightest corner on whatever track I am driving is.

So, who wants to explain the Parallel Steer setting in the Garage?

Thanks for the explanations everyone.
Quote from MRSisson :So, who wants to explain the Parallel Steer setting in the Garage?

I set at maximum, that's all I know Something about live camber increasing or decreasing or something when you turn the steering All I know is, any set I try that has parallel steer turned down I don't like.
The parallel steer setting controls the Ackerman effect. 100% parallel steering means no Ackerman, while 0% is full Ackerman steering.

http://www.rctek.com/handling/ ... n_steering_principle.html
Quote from mrodgers :I set at maximum, that's all I know Something about live camber increasing or decreasing or something when you turn the steering All I know is, any set I try that has parallel steer turned down I don't like.

The camber dynamically increasing during turn is affected by the caster setting. The higher the caster angle, the more the tyre will "lean" into the corner when steering.
thankyou androidXP for finding an article I truly understand that explains ackerman steering.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :With compensation, it's less sensitive around centre, but more sensitive as you apply lock in either direction. (hence non linear)

I used to use 1 when I had a 270 wheel because then around the centre, it was more like having a 720 wheel. Close to centre (which is where you are most of the time) the wheel rotation matches the virtual wheel rotation, but as you move away from centre the virtual wheel "speeds up" so that when your real 270 wheel is at full lock, so is the virtual 720 wheel.

With 0.0, the sensitivity is the same all the time and x deg of real wheel = y degrees of ingame wheel. Both methods have max virtual lock and max real lock obtained at the same time. Hence one is linear (the latter), and one is non-linear and superior (the former)

Exactly
My problem if I use 0.0 in compentsation, is that it gets too sensitive. Even on little wheel turn, and little wheel lock on setup it`s gets way to sensitive for me
Quote from MRSisson :I really never messed with the Wheel Turn Compensation in LFS, but now that it has been explained in this thread I am going to be setting it to 0.0 and changing the G25 Rotation Degrees in the Control Panel to match each car I drive in.

Why do that when WTC does all this for you so you never need worry about it:
Quote from geeman1 :Just set it to 1.0 and then set your DFP/G25 to 900 degrees and forget about them.

?

The only downside is you lose the FFB soft-stops.
Quote from AndroidXP :The parallel steer setting controls the Ackerman effect. 100% parallel steering means no Ackerman, while 0% is full Ackerman steering.

http://www.rctek.com/handling/ ... n_steering_principle.html

Staying little bit off the topic. Comparing LFS into above article i have one doubt.
Is LFS 0% parallel adequate to true Ackerman angle, or maybe more.
Maybe this setup option in LFS should be changed to mark the point of true ackerman:
Parallel <-- Less Ackerman -- True Ackerman --> More Ackerman
Currently in LFS:
100% parallel = no Ackerman
0% parallel = true Ackerman
#45 - Nobo
i am using 0,3 but cant vot for it, maybe i should go for 0,0 or 1,0 to get faster because the majority uses this ...still havent 100% understand that setting
Quote from Bob Smith :The only downside is you lose the FFB soft-stops.

Yeah, but it doesn't really matter. The FFB is usually pushing pretty hard already when you reach the end of rotation, so it's hard to even notice the soft stops if you have them on. Also you really shouldn't be hitting the end of rotation in normal situations anyway.
Quote from Bob Smith :0.00 with both my momo and G25.

G25 set to 540 degrees for all cars.

Same here on my G25.

Quote :So, who wants to explain the Parallel Steer setting in the Garage?

Put simply, Parallel steer controls the dynamic toe out on the front wheels when steering. At 100%, you don't get any dynamic toe out. At 0%, you get a lot of dynamic toe out. Using a setting other than 100% can greatly increase front-end grip in low speed corners, such as the hairpins at Aston.
Quote from Forbin :Same here on my G25.

Old post of mine - I've now switched to 900 degrees and 1.0 WTC. Livens the MRT5 up and really makes high lock cars a challenge. I think the previous settings worked well for me as a transition phase though (coming from the momo).
So, all cars you drive are now forced into 900° rotation mode?
Typo.

Now fixed.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG