The online racing simulator
#26 - Davo
If you get a TFT that uses DVI you can use your video card to adjust the ratio automatically so the monitor doesn't have to do it. I wouldn't even bother with an analog screen really.
I have a Sammy 226BW and ATI X800, using Omega drivers, 'Scale Image to Panle Size' unticked.

These appear proper size with black borders...

1440x900
1360x1024
1360x850
1360x768
1280x800
1280x768
1280x720
1024x640

These get stretched to fullscreen...

1400x1050
1360x1020
1280x1024
1280x960
1200x900
1152x864
1024x768
960x720
800x600
#28 - J.B.
Quote from Davo :If you get a TFT that uses DVI you can use your video card to adjust the ratio automatically so the monitor doesn't have to do it. I wouldn't even bother with an analog screen really.

But what about connecting a Blu-Ray player or a PS3 or a HDTV decoder box? For me it's the monitors job to deal with the AR not the GPU's.
Quote from Bean0 :I have a Sammy 226BW and ATI X800,

How do you like that monitor? I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow.

Also: I was going to get a fancy desk mount for it so I can turn it to portrait mode - do you happen to know if all current video cards support this or are there models to avoid?
Quote from thisnameistaken :How do you like that monitor? I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow.

Also: I was going to get a fancy desk mount for it so I can turn it to portrait mode - do you happen to know if all current video cards support this or are there models to avoid?

Love the monitor, it's my first LCD and I really can't fault it.

Just looked in my options and rotate 90 degrees is there, my card is pretty old, and I'm sure I saw the same options when I was using an even older 9600Pro.

Some nVidia ppl seem to have problems getting the native res, seems like it only shows up in some of the driver versions but easily solved by creating a custom res as far as I have read.

Plenty reading here if you can be arsed
Cool. Now I just have to find somewhere that has any in stock, or can delivery earlier than 14 days...
Quote from thisnameistaken :Cool. Now I just have to find somewhere that has any in stock, or can delivery earlier than 14 days...

OcUK are getting stock on the 4th apparently, may well be cheaper elsewhere though.
Quote from Bean0 :OcUK are getting stock on the 4th apparently, may well be cheaper elsewhere though.

They don't offer a dead pixel check by any chance, do they?

I am chock full o' questions today!
#35 - Davo
Quote from J.B. :But what about connecting a Blu-Ray player or a PS3 or a HDTV decoder box? For me it's the monitors job to deal with the AR not the GPU's.

ALl those have built in AR adjustment so the monitor doesn't need to do it. Hell I don't even use the AR adjustment on my tv because all the other boxes have automatic AR adjustment and provide a fully digital signal.
#36 - J.B.
Quote from Davo :ALl those have built in AR adjustment so the monitor doesn't need to do it. Hell I don't even use the AR adjustment on my tv because all the other boxes have automatic AR adjustment and provide a fully digital signal.

Can you explain this in detail? Say my screen has 1680x1050 pixels (16:10) and I connect a HDTV decoder box that outputs a 1920x1080 (16:9) signal. Now the screen with no aspect ratio options will take the 1920x1080 signal and resize it to 1680x1050 thus distorting the AR.

What the HDTV box needs to do to prevent this is add extra black pixels to the top and bottom of the image for which it also needs to know the AR of my screen.

Is this what these kind of devices typically do?
Quote from thisnameistaken :They don't offer a dead pixel check by any chance, do they?

I am chock full o' questions today!

They don't, but the distance selling regs give you a 7 day cooling off period should you choose to send it back and hopefully get a better one later.
#38 - Davo
Quote from J.B. :Can you explain this in detail? Say my screen has 1680x1050 pixels (16:10) and I connect a HDTV decoder box that outputs a 1920x1080 (16:9) signal. Now the screen with no aspect ratio options will take the 1920x1080 signal and resize it to 1680x1050 thus distorting the AR.

What the HDTV box needs to do to prevent this is add extra black pixels to the top and bottom of the image for which it also needs to know the AR of my screen.

Is this what these kind of devices typically do?

That's a good question and one I can't answer as I've never tried that. I only use my monitor for my pc but I'd say that hooking up to something would probably stretch it since the AR of monitors and tvs is different. Maybe if the set top box is smart it'll detect a plug n play monitor and scale accordingly. I know that I don't have switch the AR from 16:9 to 4:3 on my tv, it's done automaticaly and my graphics card adds black bars to the top and bottom and to the sides if necessary when watching movies or tv shows.
Small update
LFS works in Widescreen (1680x1050x32) mode perfectly

Wolfenstein 3D: Enemy Territory has pretty awful flickering in widescreen resolutions in some maps. They go away when I switch to 1024x768 or 1280x1024.

Sometimes while browsing the Interwebs, the screen goes black just like it would go to in "the blank screensaver" for a second or two. (I haven't reinstalled Windows in 18 Months. But still., I'm not a computer-dimwit, that's the only prob in my computer ATM. I just haven't found the cause of it yet...) Somehow I think it's related to Macromedia Flash.

I've also brielfly used the Samsung 226BW, it's pretty much the same as 225BW except it has screen tilt feature and the screen bevels are bit more "Vista-looking" (i.e., flashy and shiny). Other than that, it seems to be the same as the 225BW. Frankly speaking, if you have the cash... get the 226BW
LFS looks great on Acer X191W 1440x900...
Update..

So I have been having issues lately with my 225BW, sometime after booting the pc it often started to make sort of buzz/humming noise. First I thought it was a fan with worn bearings. Because I soon found out I could make the humm go away momentarily by pressing the frame near the menu button.

Tonight had enough when the pressing trick didn't work nor manhandling the monitor.

Well Google helped in one search...

Increase the brightness and the humming is gone

Anyway, I was dumbfounded by the fix and thought to share thinking this isn't some common knowledge....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG