The online racing simulator
linux server
(29 posts, started )
linux server
can i be anoying and ask for an invisible linux dedicated server

*runs away from scawen*
Quote from dUmAsS :can i be anoying and ask for an invisible linux dedicated server

*runs away from scawen*

Im running the dedicated lfs s2 server on our linux dedicated server. All you need to do is take 10 mins and follow this page step by step and it works perfect.

www.powie.de/part/artikel.php?id=41
my current servers are running in wine, but ive been told there not so stable :/

ill have to try a different way
Quote from dUmAsS :my current servers are running in wine, but ive been told there not so stable :/

ill have to try a different way

Mines been up 3 days without issue....and its been raced on alot with friends (its not public right now) without any kind of issues. Server runs nice. I do agree a linux server would be nice, but this solution isnt to bad.
Quote from nike23 :Mines been up 3 days without issue....and its been raced on alot with friends (its not public right now) without any kind of issues. Server runs nice. I do agree a linux server would be nice, but this solution isnt to bad.

can i ask

what linux distro
what wine version
are you launching from php or shell?

im launching from php, so i guess ive got an added layer for it to get killed
Quote from dUmAsS :can i ask

what linux distro
what wine version
are you launching from php or shell?

im launching from php, so i guess ive got an added layer for it to get killed

Linux RHE3
The Latest Wine Distro from their site (i386)
We own the dedicated server so we have root...but im running it off one of my webserver cpanel accounts that allready had been created, and im useing ssh.
thats possibly where im going wrong then. ive got a script that controls the servers.

back to the drawing board i go!
doesnt require x-windows. uses a different driver.

do you have a better option?
Its been a while since I've configured a *nix server to run lfs dedicated, but I'm 95% sure that you dont need X.
I'm running a dedicated server under Wine (20050628), on Debian Sarge (2.6.8-2-386). Seems pretty stable, haven't noticed any problems, but it's not used very much I must admit.
Quote from larppaxyz :Not very good solution, it's unstable and requires x-windows running. Bad solution for long time/commercial hosting.

No x-windows just wine. Its not running off of root and is VERY stable. While it would be easier if there were linux .sh files this solution is NOT bad at all. Then again ive been running linux dedi servers for games for about 2 years now so im pretty comfortable doing what i need to do to get games working.
Quote from nike23 :Its not running off of root and is VERY stable.

so your launching it with php commands?

im just trying to figure out the best way to launch the servers. (at the moment launching with php but if php or apache goes down, so do all the servers)
Quote from dUmAsS :so your launching it with php commands?

im just trying to figure out the best way to launch the servers. (at the moment launching with php but if php or apache goes down, so do all the servers)

Im running it thru SSH (Shell Prompt)
#14 - Orac
For reference you can use the ttydrv driver in wine to run it completely without Xwindows.
I think a nix-based server would be better than running a doze-based server via wine. Wine has a long history of being unreliable and unpredictable. Common knowledge to those who operate linux often - Wine Is Not an Emulator. It's a nightmare in many cases.
hey ho..

i managed gettin Wine an LFS runnin.. so far so good..
but something istn right, the deb.log says:

LFS DEDICATED HOST : 0.5P
timerresolution 1 ms
read config
get command line

think there is somethin wrong/missin, cause i cant connect
to the Srv and I cant see it in the serverlisting

thnx 4 help

AlexX!!
check the port your using. i found using higher number ports work best. i did have this problem before but cant remember how i fixed it
.. tried serveral Port Settings, also read about a Problem that LFS.exe cant read the cfg files edited in linux(vi)
For this reason is uploaded an all new dedi serv dir.. but problem is the same... the Server stops with the "get command line" output.

still trying.. hope to get in run soon

AlexX!!
all i can think of right now is make sure the user executing has write permisions on the folder.

*pokes scawen and asks nicely to print all error dialogs to log file also*
#20 - vtx
Im running some LFS on linux servers for a long time now. But they all have the same problem. Some people get disconnected every 1 or 2 mins, while others can just play. The people that get disconnected can play fine on other servers.

Also the server 'crashes' once in a while. The server is still running then, but nobody can connect and the lfs server has to be restarted.

This same situation occurs on all linux versions I tried (Gentoo, RH), triend several wine versions, binary's as well as different source versions.

I am still praying for a native linux dedi server
Quote from vtx :
I am still praying for a native linux dedi server

letz pray together.... a linux dedi srv would cause multiple orgasms to all server admins.. me too

AlexX!!
Quote from BLACKPLAGE :a linux dedi srv would cause multiple orgasms to all server admins..

if i was drinking while reading that, it would be all over my monitor!
Quote from vtx :Also the server 'crashes' once in a while. The server is still running then, but nobody can connect and the lfs server has to be restarted.

has anyone found a fix for that? it seems to happen mabey once a week here. not good

im soon going to be putting my servers on cedega (in a few weeks) so i will see how that goes
it would be nice if one of the programmers can give an official statement about this, if we can expect a linux server version, or if they could look into the trouble like that the server crashes after a day or two (server is seen but no one can connect)
Scawen has said that he doesnt know linux systems particularly well, thus he cannot give a full solution - and although he knows that a linux server is desired, he doesnt know when, or if it will happen.

linux server
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG