The online racing simulator
+1000000000000000000, but I would buy S3 anyway.
#2 - amp88
There's enough problem getting people through turn one on most tracks without a big incident. How much chance do you think there is of getting a full grid to do a lap before the race without passing or running into each other? In theory it's a good idea, but in practice I can't see it going very well.
yes it would be nice but very true what AMP88 said there would be skipping of grid positions also it would be also crazy people crashing and stuff would be nice its in gtr2
Quote from amp88 :There's enough problem getting people through turn one on most tracks without a big incident. How much chance do you think there is of getting a full grid to do a lap before the race without passing or running into each other? In theory it's a good idea, but in practice I can't see it going very well.

Possibly going to be less people hitting race pace off the grid, only to realise they've got tires that are about as effective as an ashtray on a motorbike, lock up at 88 miles an hour, leave 2 trails of flames and go back to 1964 at T1? Well, you get the idea.

So, +1.
On public servers it would be a nightmare, but having the option for league races would be nice.
Quote from Becky Rose :On public servers it would be a nightmare, but having the option for league races would be nice.

I agree 100% It would be a nightmare and useless on the public servers but with leagues it would be a good idea cause they arn't noob crashes and want to rcae properly
Also how long would the warmup lap take with a UF1000 at AS grand prix?? :sleep2:
+2^999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Server side choosable
#9 - Gunn
+ ten gazillion

Driving around slowly is way easier than racing at high speed door-to-door. If you can't manage a slow lap then perhaps you aren't ready to race?

It would be nice to be able to get some heat into the tyres before the flag drops.
Or perhaps a Speed limit on the warm up lap, if you go over that speed, youll have a penalty in the pits or something
#11 - Gunn
Quote from djgizmo68 :Or perhaps a Speed limit on the warm up lap, if you go over that speed, youll have a penalty in the pits or something

Or people could just learn to drive.
Quote from djgizmo68 :Or perhaps a Speed limit on the warm up lap, if you go over that speed, youll have a penalty in the pits or something

You can't do a speed limit on a warmup lap. If someone lets some space come up between them and the car in front, then everyone is stuck if a speed limit holds you back. Only the front car must abide by a speed limit and all other cars must line up behind them. No passing allowed, and you would have to have a way of penalizing someone who would hang back to get a run near the green flag.
#13 - Gunn
Quote from mrodgers :...and you would have to have a way of penalizing someone who would hang back to get a run near the green flag.

I thought the suggestion was for a warmup lap, not a rolling start. The cars warm up their tyres, line up in their grid boxes and start via lights as normal.
Quote from Gunn :I thought the suggestion was for a warmup lap, not a rolling start. The cars warm up their tyres, line up in their grid boxes and start via lights as normal.

That's as I understand it too, but you've just brought up another good point. How difficult would it be for a full field to form up on the grid hatchings in the right positions? Or what about the scenario of someone pitting at the end of the warmup/formation lap? They could leave the pit and start racing before the lights go out, in theory.
i also cant imagine for what races it should be used.
5 lappers? 1 round warmup for a 5 lap race? lol
long races like 20-30 laps? no....ppl are happy when they can drive one lap more before they have to pit.
IMO with current physics simulation the tires heat up a lil too fast (it feels like that) so id say thats an S3 thing
Quote from amp88 :That's as I understand it too, but you've just brought up another good point. How difficult would it be for a full field to form up on the grid hatchings in the right positions? Or what about the scenario of someone pitting at the end of the warmup/formation lap? They could leave the pit and start racing before the lights go out, in theory.

Ever seen an f1 race when a car pitted after warm up lap?

They can start from pit, after green light.

However the suggestion about rolling start is right too (on kyoto oval)

Quote from [RCG]Boosted :i also cant imagine for what races it should be used.
5 lappers? 1 round warmup for a 5 lap race? lol
long races like 20-30 laps? no....ppl are happy when they can drive one lap more before they have to pit.
IMO with current physics simulation the tires heat up a lil too fast (it feels like that) so id say thats an S3 thing

That's a server admin's problem imho
Quote from DaveWS :Also how long would the warmup lap take with a UF1000 at AS grand prix?? :sleep2:

How often do you race UF1 on AS GP?

Option for leagues, +1 (million)
Quote from Hyperactive :Option for leagues, +1 (million)

Same from me, I foresee mayhem on public servers, but for leagues this would rock.

So +1 for the server side option warmup lap
Quote from LFSn00b :If hit somebody, 15sec penalty

The ancient who-hit-who? question arises...
It's a good idea, might be nice to iplement when we do "real" racing starts.

Dan
Yep, +1 from me. Warmup laps, rolling starts, false starts all that stuff. Just might need some kind of aid to assist with positioning the car correctly in the correct box and/or being correctly positioned for a rolling start procedure.
#22 - aoun
Love the idea, always wanted it.. but you should know how bad the servers can be.. the pack going at 60kph into a turn still a massive pile up.. but.... great stuff for leagues and championships
+1 because this could lead to rolling starts
#24 - aoun
+1 to rolling starts
Ok, I'll say +1 to rolling starts.

Quote :I thought the suggestion was for a warmup lap, not a rolling start. The cars warm up their tyres, line up in their grid boxes and start via lights as normal.

Yes, I was under the impression that by warmup lap, it was meaning a pace lap and a rolling start. Tires are already preheated, what would a warmup lap do for heating the tires more to get to optimum temps? It takes me well more than 1 lap at race pace to get my tires heated up . A lap at 50 mph or something then lining back up on the grid wouldn't do anything to my tire temps, other than maybe cooling them down further I think. Again, .

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG