The online racing simulator
Gauging interest in a "rally" (Note: Not rallycross) championship.
I'm thinking about organizing a rally (not rallycross) championship, and I'm wondering who would be interested in participating.

Here is the basic idea:

You take a bunch of different courses (both pure tarmac and tarmac/dirt), run one lap around each, one competitor at a time.

Each of these laps is a 'stage', and your times for each 'stage' will be added to determine an overall time. Lowest overall time wins!

Cars would be limited to hard-top 'production' models (XF, XR, FXO, FZ, UF). I'd consider splitting competition into different classes if we have enough people (and if a specific car has a distinct advantage).

Would anyone be seriously interested in running rallies this way? I think it would be fun as hell honestly... and would be much more challenging and competitve than just running around in circles as it would test each driver on multiple courses instead of just their 'favorites'.
#2 - Calum
With 28 veiws and no replies , I am gonna add me thoughts

I think the idea sounds quite interesting , going round the course one at a time may be what is putting off a few people , but dont change that as if enough people did show interest , my team would be interested in running in the Championship , if drivers wanted to drive for us.

Thanks

Calum
I prefer races with opponents, would be more interesting if there were rally courses though.
Quote from AndroidXP :My FE Rally Stage comes to mind

Wow, that's awesome! I haven't thought of using alternative layouts like that... hmm. I imagine I'd have a ton of DNF's though if I used unfamiliar courses however.
The CRC had an idea like this in pre-production earlier this year, several tracks where made in consept, but the track designer was never totally happy with them and the idea was scrapped. However, id be interested in joining such a league..

Good Luck!
Hi
not many words, but i would be in.
greetz noGrip
#8 - dev
I would definitly like to drive such a race
oh yeah, i'll join up if the time is right =)
Cool, glad to see that there's some interest. I'll set up some rules this week and might have an exibition event next weekend to get things running smoothly.

Feel free to comment on any ideas/rules you'd like to see.

So far, I had in mind:

Pre-Event

- The event organizer determines a SECRET stage line-up. The stages used must be kept a secret to prevent competitors from obtaining a competitve advantage by practicing the stages prior to the event.
- For the same reason, event organizers are not permitted to participate in their own events (unless, of course, the event is just for fun..).
- Event organizer starts a game with these parameters: No Qualifying, 1 Lap Race, Auto Park (or other suitable place for a 'parc expose').

Event Start

- All drivers/cars meet @ Car Park (or other suitable location) for the 'parc expose'.
- The event organizer 'seeds' each competitor (determines their starting order). Event rules are also explained to new competitors.
- Competitors are given time to select their cars, change setup parameters, and make any other preparations.

First Stage

- The event organizer begins the event by changing the track to the first competitive stage.
- ALL COMPETITORS MUST SPECTATE! No competitors will be allowed to 'practice' or be on the track at the same time as other competitors.
- The first competitor joins the race.
- The event organizer resets the race, and the competitor runs his stage.
- The event organizer records the competitors' stage time, asks the competitor to spectate, and authorizes the next competitor to join.
- Repeat until all competitors have run the stage.

Between Stages

- After all competitors have run a stage, the event organizer will change the track to the next competitive stage.
- Competitors will be given time to tweak any setup they're using, change tires, etc between stages.
- The next stages operate in the same manner as the first. Remember that ALL DRIVERS MUST SPECTATE UNTIL THEY'RE AUTHORIZED TO JOIN BY THE EVENT ORGANIZER!

After Event

- Any penalties are announced by the event organizer, and competitors are given the opportunity to challenge any penalties assessed.
- All stage times (and penalties) are added up and the winner is formally announced.
- Celebrate, complain, make excuses for poor performance, etc!

Penalties

- Joining the track during another competitors' run.
- Not spectating in a timely manner at the stage start, or after completing a stage run.

DNFs

- If your car becomes immobile at any point in your stage run (flipped over, sand trapped, hit a barrier and went into orbit, etc) you will be listed as a DNF.
- You may participate in later stages, but will be listed as 'DNF' in the final standings.

I'd like to see comments for or against some of the rules listed... let me know what you think!
Sounds like a blast! Id love to do something like this, seems right up my alley. It would be fun to have a exibition race next weekend, and im sure i may be able to round up some guys to come race it.
I've been meaning to find time to write a rally championship for ages now, if it was computer controlled there is no reason why you cannot have 1000 people in the same league, just doing a new stage every week and 1 rally a month. I wish you the best of luck, and one day when I have time, I may nick your best ideas .
I'm currently working on a website to detail the various aspects of the series. I'm going to most likely work on running a few 'sanctioned' events, and getting some fellow organizers before beginning a championship.
This sounds brilliant i would definitelly be up for it!

One suggestion on the rules though:

If you crash out and have a DNF on a stage, you could recieve a 'default time' which say would be equal to the slowest competitors time + an appropriate amount of seconds as a penalty. That way if you crash all is not completely lost.
Quote from andy_bonjon :This sounds brilliant i would definitelly be up for it!

One suggestion on the rules though:

If you crash out and have a DNF on a stage, you could recieve a 'default time' which say would be equal to the slowest competitors time + an appropriate amount of seconds as a penalty. That way if you crash all is not completely lost.

I've considered that too, but I honestly don't like that rule (called 'SupeRally') in real world rallying so I've yet to decide for or against it.
i dont particularly like it either in real life but provided the penalty is big enough i think it would be better suited to sim rallying
We've got some progress. I bought an 11-slot server (from 500Servers.com) and it'll be where a majority of the initial events will be held I imagine.

SimRS is the name of the server (and is also the name of my newly formed sanctioning body).
Hi..

Support Email answered, changes made to your server config, and the server is now Confirmed as Running.

Personally very interested in entering this series should it take off.

500servers Support.
Quote from mkinnov8 :Hi..

Support Email answered, changes made to your server config, and the server is now Confirmed as Running.

Personally very interested in entering this series should it take off.

500servers Support.

Thank you!

This is my first time running a LFS server, so bear with me.
Weeee! Count me in, hope to have time for that, at least for some events!
And now i need a brand new rally skin...
Sounds like a good idea, I think I'm interested
Well, the tentative schedule for the first event will be Saturday (11/18) at 9pm EST (GMT-5). If we have time I might do more than one rally, I'll be using this to gauge the competitiveness of each car and if everything 'flows' properly.

Hopefully I'll have the rulebook and server setup completely by tommorrow afternoon. Keep an eye on this thread for any updates.
Wich means, 17:00 in Italy timezone? (Italy timezone +1 GMT)
Sorry but i'm always confused!
judgin by the fact he is in america i assume it should be GMT - 5 but correct me if im wrong! lol that would mean it would be 2 am GMT and 3 am for Italy

if thats the case then that a big shame cos my housemates would not be too pleased if i started playing LFS at that time
Oops! My bad, it is GMT-5!

I wish I could make it sooner, but my personal schedule is just too hectic right now. I might be able to do an earlier event on Sunday, I'll let you know.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG