The online racing simulator

Poll : Is your G25 more noisier in other direction?

Yes
No
Is your G25 more noisier in other direction?
I wanted to know how many people exactly have this problem with their G25 wheels. I've already counted well over 10 cases on IRC, so please vote yes if your G25 makes a noise like this: http://nismo.1g.fi/g25/g25kaput.avi

(Your noise might be louder or quieter)
When turning to left it makes that kind of noise for me too, just much more quiet. Can even be felt thrue the wheel when turning it that theres something wrong.
Think I noticed that theres a slight noise on the day1 I got this piece, and ever since it has gotten worse day by day.
Eugh, that sounds broken. Well, I'm going to find out soon if mine does the same...

Don't worry mate, just contact Logi and get the wheel replaced.

Attached images
i see a trend here.jpg
I will, just curious how many of these problematic wheels are really out there.
as i already said mines a lot louder when turning left
When I turn left fast (I have profiler FF at 50%) it sounds like the gears are going backwards, going right it sounds smoother. Could just be the gearset or motors used. But I only hear it when I have low FF and can turn the wheel fast enough, at 100% it sounds fine both ways.

Link. The wheel works fine, just it is louder to the left, but I can live with it, if it starts to play up then I'd have to get it changed, but a little bit of audio never hurt anyone. I mean, my MS wheel used to do the exact same thing.
Mines been louder to the left from day 1 pretty much. It being louder doesn't bother me too much - I put it down to the spring loaded gear, or the 5 pole motors going backwards, but it vibrates a lot more which means if I have keys or my watch etc on the desk they make a hell of a rattle too.

Contemplating having it apart and tightening everything up a bit - but don't want to risk voiding the Logi warranty on the wheel just yet.
Quote from Rtsbasic :I put it down to the 5 pole motors going backwards

electric motors dont go backwards ... they dont have any anisotropy that could cause a directional preference
They do..the face of the brushes in the motor can have a higher resistance turning one way than the other, if they were seated primarily turning one way or if they had serrations for breaking in that were directional. Which can cause a rough feeling when turning the other way. I've seen this effect in many RC motors which are very similar (except for 2 pole vs 5 pole). Why do you think an electric motor arc's more when spinning "backwards"? The brush doesn't make as good contact with the comm. Using a brushless motor they have no directional preference but that would increase the cost, and the complexity of the wheel software.
Clamping the wheel to a big wooden desk will amplify the noise of the vibrations (making it sound like it cutting through the desk!). Try placing some of those anti-slip rubber mats underneath the wheel to absorb some of the noise.
Quote from Rtsbasic :They do..the face of the brushes in the motor can have a higher resistance turning one way than the other, if they were seated primarily turning one way or if they had serrations for breaking in that were directional. Which can cause a rough feeling when turning the other way. I've seen this effect in many RC motors which are very similar (except for 2 pole vs 5 pole). Why do you think an electric motor arc's more when spinning "backwards"? The brush doesn't make as good contact with the comm. Using a brushless motor they have no directional preference but that would increase the cost, and the complexity of the wheel software.

by designe even rc motors arent directional ... as youve said its an effect of breaking the brushes and the comm in and theres no reason why logitech should break the motors in at all or why they shouldnt break them in in both directions

besides those motors dont run at some 30k+ rmps so comm and brush wear istn anywhere near as bad as on a rc motor
True enough - in addition to turning much lower rpm's the motors no doubt use much harder brushes than a typical RC motor as well, but I don't think the motor can be ruled out as the cause of the problem until someone has theirs apart and tries to figure out what causes it.

Why wouldn't the motors be broken in? Very doubtful from the factory but the brushes will wear slightly when first used and this is when they "break in" so to speak.
mine is slightly noisier turning left, but my wheel seems to have gotten quite a bit noisier overall since i got it. Anyone else found this?
Quote from Rtsbasic :the brushes will wear slightly when first used and this is when they "break in" so to speak.

sure but unless youre with fm you will break them in for both directions
Indeed, which is why its unlikely the motors are the cause of the problem. But its still possible.

Who knows, maybe its just caused by a loose motor or a bad gear mesh on one of them.
directed at sam bob al or any other moderator
could you do me a favour and edit the vote so theres one more for yes ? i just got the replacement unit and its even louder than the old one
Time for DIY fixing, I guess?
Quote from AndroidXP :Time for DIY fixing, I guess?

time for getting a refund and to never bother with logitech again

the only flawless logitech product i ever had is a pilot mouse (the old 3 button wheelless one) which imho is the best mouse design iver ever seen but other than that every logitech product ive owned or heard about was rubbish in some way or another

mind you that im a teeny bit pissed off right now so i might be overly critical but the g25 is a joke ... and a bad one at that
I would like to see Mcman post in this thread. He clearly is verry close to the designteam and posts in just about every G25 thread. He must have read this one too.
I'm really curious to know what he thinks is the cause and if there is a possible fix for it..or if Logi are planning a improved rev.B
Quote from Shotglass :directed at sam bob al or any other moderator
could you do me a favour and edit the vote so theres one more for yes ? i just got the replacement unit and its even louder than the old one

wow... that is seriously Fxcked up.
Mine just did that when returning the last 50* to center in either direction. Then the sucker just plain smoked. Waiting for the replacement to arrive
Quote from skstibi :Mine just did that when returning the last 50* to center in either direction. Then the sucker just plain smoked. Waiting for the replacement to arrive

I am interested, what strenth FF were you using? and what lock setting?

Same question to all G25 users what FF strenth in profiler or windows setting and in game?

Dont get me started about DC motors I have built many including RC motors and they will happly run both ways, its only when running only 1 way for long periods of time that you get uneven cathode brush wear or comm stepping as mentioned by someone above

SD.
Hello guys, i had a different problem.
My G25 sings the titanic song by the awesome celine dion when steering to the right, and the greatest by cat power when steering to the left.
I have now joined RIW league in order to solve this problem.
Quote from SparkyDave :I am interested, what strenth FF were you using? and what lock setting?

Same question to all G25 users what FF strenth in profiler or windows setting and in game?

Dont get me started about DC motors I have built many including RC motors and they will happly run both ways, its only when running only 1 way for long periods of time that you get uneven cathode brush wear or comm stepping as mentioned by someone above

SD.

I was running 100% force with 900 degree lock.
I am still amazed at the fact that these brushless FF motors go through the abuse without really being damaged. I Don't think it was a motor that fried because the other motor would have worked and I would still have power lights on.
What happened was I was doing some racing I noticed some wierd feelings and sounds coming from the wheel on return to center. A few races later when I slid around a corner the thing died, I got smoke and everything went dead.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG