The online racing simulator
So how many people are racers in real life, and whats your history?
Curious about this becuase I'm on a steep learning curve in LFS even though I've raced in real life and had plenty of seat time on UK tracks - I've only had LFS less than a week.

So, I'm in the UK and have a NationalB class licence. I've done bags & bags of track time in cars from an EVO TME to a Caterham Superlight. I've only done 2 official races (both the 24hr Citroen at Snetterton) but that has equated to 12 hours seat time in all weather conditions and also at night.

Nothing like going flat out down Revett straight at Snetterton, in the rain, at night, with someone in front, rear and both sides, all going for the same corner. And nobody touching

Had two VERY scary moments last race, first was a complete brake failure going into the first left hander of The Esses at the end of Revett straight - got to the braking point in a line of traffic and the pedal went to the floor. I jinked to the left up the inside of everyone and aimed for a gap between two cars. I made it through but was at full chat on the grass. I managed to rejoin safely but my heart was definately in my mouth that time. The second scare was flat into Riches where the driver in front of me spun but couldn't decide which way to go I opted for the outside of the track and missed them by a very small margin just managing to hang onto the track but getting very sideways in the process

Oh, I'm also an accredited photographer and have worked for Caterham and one of the Caterham race series all over the UK, Scotland, and been to France (Croix) and Belgium (Spa).

Dave
That sounded great!

I'm too poor to even afford a car.
Me 2 - have not got the cash to live the dream.
But them ther IS LFS
Quote :Nothing like going flat out down Revett straight at Snetterton, in the rain, at night, with someone in front, rear and both sides, all going for the same corner. And nobody touching

I love Snetterton, Russel Bend in particular. I've done a fair bit of racing up to F/First and saloon, but mostly i've done karts. Everyone here is already sick to death of me reflecting on it though, so I wont go too much further.

There's a fair number of real racers in LFS, mostly karts but a few touring car drivers, atleast 1 single seat racer and one nutter who even did dragsters - although I dont know if that was turn up in a saloon or a proper top fuel jobbie.
Done a wee bit of saloons, been sprinting an F3 car this year, and will (with luck) be racing it next year.

Still never driven around Snett, even though it's my local track, but I've heard good things about Riches, Russells and the Bombhole. I should be testing there early next year.

Edit: Dan, can I come and poke you on Saturday? I feel like having a Snetty Sausage (from the burger van, you filthy people!), and watching you fall off under braki... erm... watching you break the lap record would be nice too.
Depends what you mean by "racers", I have dabbled in mini racing many moons ago, I raced a turbo engine 1300cc mini in the early ninties.

Done karting, and the plan is to do a trackday at Snettie on my bike this saturday, as long as it don't piss down with rain

Dan,
#7 - ZORER
God knows how much i would love to be a real life racer.But i'm living in wrong country for motorsports.There're very few tracks and you gotta be very rich to participate in any of the recent cups being organised.And i'm not rich.

Here comes Lfs.People tell me i must be rich because i got S2 and Momo...Oh really? ..i'll get S3, S4 S5 S6 or S20.Let them ..ck off if they dont understand.
as said above what counts as being a 'racer'?

i've done autotests organised by my local club for the past couple of seasons and done reasonably well in them!

I am currently looking into building a rally car out of my '84 VW Polo and (money permitting) aim to be ready in two years.... although this will all be dependant on the state of the chassis and body which i will be looking at at xmas when im home from uni. if its not in good condition all around then i wont be able to afford to buy another car in its place! fingers crossed!!
I've done a bit of motorsport.
Raced various junior karts for 7 years, won a few national championships. More recently raced a Formula A and a Rotax Max.
Raced Formuld Ford Zetec, won Irish Junior FF Championship
Did a few races in Ireland in a FIAT Punto Abarth , didn't finish any races
Raced an Alfa 147 GTA in European and Dutch Championships (got to race at Spa, Monza, Zandvoort, Zolder) - Won a few privateer races.
Along the way i also got to drive some other nice cars, Formula Renault, Old '78 Croslie Formula Ford, Global Light, Formula Vauxhall, Formula Vee.
Motorsport is too bloody expensive Thats why i dont race anymore.
In my experience you can't beat karting for good value for money racing. I love it!
Nikimere, do you remember, how it was to drive with Global Light?
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :Nikimere, do you remember, how it was to drive with Global Light?

great fun!! it used to rev it's nuts off!! 6 speed sequential geat box. iirc there is a 1.3 yamaha engine in it??
it was like driving a little go-kart! i really enjoyed that one.
i race karts
I guess it all depends on what you mean by racing.

I've driven back from mid-austria via Amsterdam in 22 hours,
I've done a bit of rental karting,
I've done some autotesting,
I've got the basic MSA license,
I've navigated one or two UK rallies,

A good percentage of my 25,000 miles a year is on racing on UK roads. Even if it's just getting from one side of crawley to another as fast as possible. A lot of the time it's 4am in the morning and I'm hurtling about backroads, there's some awesome hill climbs near where I live, the reduced braking distances of up hill driving, and the view and hot chocolate at the top makes it really worth while.

I would love to consider myself a race driver, I spend so long pouring over the theory, and then tuning the techniques in practice, and I've never been to an event where I havn't been competative.... but as a dictionary definition, I'm not a race driver, but it isn't for lack of trying.

Looking at the future : I've got a few grand sitting on my desk right now, awaiting the perfect car to come up, anything RWD and more than 160hp. That's as soon as I get my second years no claims, and my drivers license back, thank you very much UK police and the DVLA.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Ive been racing karts since i was 3 of Age .
driving in ICA JUNIOR this year .. Next year i look out for a Formula Ford/ formula 1800 . So im On the WWAAAY
take Care
Dennis
Quote from z3r0c00l :... A lot of the time it's 4am in the morning and I'm hurtling about backroads...

... I would love to consider myself a race driver, ...

... I've got a few grand sitting on my desk right now, awaiting the perfect car to come up...

Get off the public streets before you kill someone (I used to backroad sprint
too back when I was 17, and in retrospect it was one of the more stupid things
I've done).

Karting is the most performance you'll get until you get to really high end cars (GP2,
Nippon, Atlantics, etc). Even F1 drivers usually practice with karts, not lower car
formulas (except when the FIA/CIK prevents them like Speed and Liuzzi in the SuperNats).

With that money I think it would be best to get a used Rotax kart and 'Live' for speed
off the public roads and on purpose built tracks.

'Kart' is a bad name for what they have become. They really are just small open
wheel formula cars now, where you treat axle flex as your replacement for a diff.
Rotax Max is probably the best kart formula for budget performance due to the
sealed motor (although in the U.S. there is also Spec/Stock Moto as an economical
choice; there may be alternatives in your country as well).
i Dont like ur opinion Bout karting ..
Really Those things are fast .. and i drove a Rotax .. its pretty dead if u compare it to a ICA JUNIOR ..
IMO
Karter here, in junior max.
Quote from Dennis93 :i Dont like ur opinion Bout karting ..
Really Those things are fast .. and i drove a Rotax .. its pretty dead if u compare it to a ICA JUNIOR ..
IMO

I don't quite understand what you don't like about my opinion.
That is what I was saying...karting is high performance. I said
the name 'kart' was bad becuase it implies 'toy' or 'slow' to
most people who do not know better. It is the name
I said is poor, not the sport. The sport is the raw essence of racing.

I have driven ICA, TaG, ICC, 4 stroke 250cc kart, and Rotax Max,
and yes the ICA (and maybe even JICA) kicks the Rotax off the
bottom, but the ICA can go maybe 60 minutes before a rebuild
where the Rotax can go 50 hours.
Quote from orangutan :Get off the public streets before you kill someone (I used to backroad sprint
too back when I was 17, and in retrospect it was one of the more stupid things
I've done).

It's not like anyone else is using them, these roads are utterly dead, I've never even caused a road kill (as in, animals, rabbits birds), and I've only ever seen another car once, needless to say when I saw the lights coming round the bend I brought the car down to slower than safe velocity.

Admittedly some of the city stuff is far more dangerous, but I commute on a motorbike, and the whole point is to be able to go between traffic, you have to pay a lot of attention and recognise the risks involved, but it's not like its illegal, and far more people cut me up than consider themselves cut up by me. Just because they can't hold their line between two lanes of slower moving traffic round a rounderbout, doesn't mean it's "impossible".

The last guy I got hassle from soon backed off when I got out a disposable camera and got him and his car, having just cut me up (and me make my views on not seeing other drivers known), on film, if he was so sure he was in the right, he'd have nothing to fear....

I'd feel bad for hijacking this thread but, to be honest, anyone who's really into racing, is busy either working on their car, working to afford their racing, or doing something other than posting on a forum, probably playing LFS for example, like I'll be doing the moment I get out of this stupid hotel.
I raced karts in 3 years, but it got killed a bit by the fact that im almost 2 meters now, so i cant really fit any kart
And i dont got enough cash, so now im only cheering on my ex-enemy's
Well, as some of you have seen in one of my threads, I hope to do some professional kart racing, maybe race in the national Rotax championships but I need a lot of money and I'm not pleased with the idea of askin my dad for 10k Euros but I may one day. I really really want to get into motorsport and hopefully, one day become an F1 driver
I'm 14, just finished my third year of racing karts.

I started out in "arrive and drive" 5.5hp hondas, Biesse Cadet Chassis. I did that for two years, won the championship both years.

Last year we ran our own kart, World Formula Jr. 15HP, Briggs 4 Stroke. Finished Third in the Points.

Next year I might be driving an F1-K Junior. An F1-K is a new class in Ontario, 125cc Maxter engine, CRG Chassis, and it's a spec class. Bit higher top speed then Rotax Junior.

So far my racing "career" is going great.
i race go karts too.

started workin at a kart place, then got my own kart. (TKM) then just more recently testing 100 nat, FA. then driving wankel occasionally (46hp) which made the FA feel leisurly (spelling?!) next year im doin the super 1 in TKM and hopefully a bit of FA

good fun
ok, i have to confess something..i'm michael schumacher =)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG