The online racing simulator
Realistic mirrors
(22 posts, started )
Realistic mirrors
Hi! I think that it whould be more realistic if there was one more mirrors mode, the "hardcore" one. Something like showed on the picture.Mirrors.jpg
Agree with this?
Attached images
Mirrors.jpg
yes.

Although I think it isn't the first topic about it, but it also isn't the 32879 thread.
I agree, it would be very nice, but with the current method of generating the mirror graphics it's impossible - short of simply faking the car model in there. The reason is that we currently have only ONE image that is generated for the mirror, and the side mirrors do nothing else but show a different part of it.

The "correct" way would be to have three seperate viewpoints for each mirror. These could then also contain the car model, but the problem is that it's very performance hungry for such a little effect. It would be nice to have as an option for monster-systems, though.
+1 from me, as an option for the lower machines
Would be nice to have, also I would very much like the mirror resolution to be increased. When making the ghostcar mod I made a simple test thing that increases the mirror resolution to 512x512 and there was zero measurable performance impact from it...

Maybe a 'high quality mirror' option could be added that would both increase the resolution and render them properly from correct positions with the car visible.
+1 from me, with an option for slower machine, but FORCED for hardcore mode.
Quote from Kegetys :Would be nice to have, also I would very much like the mirror resolution to be increased. When making the ghostcar mod I made a simple test thing that increases the mirror resolution to 512x512 and there was zero measurable performance impact from it...

That brain of yours... I hope you're still around here when LFS gets green lights for the modders EDIT: (If it does)
Quote from Kegetys :I made a simple test thing that increases the mirror resolution to 512x512 and there was zero measurable performance impact from it...

any chance that youll ever release this ?
#9 - Woz
Not hard and cheap on demands
Actually this can be implemented now and can be very cheap on CPU & GFX load.

While there is only one Mirror image all that is required is to pre render the car body area for each view and put that 2D image over the mirror bitmap. As long as the 2D image is generated by the LFS GFX engine then it will not look out of place and you will never see the difference.

Lets face it, its not like you can move your head up/down/left/right in a way that wiill effect your perspective in the mirror so why render the car inside 3 times in realtime when the alternative will give exactly the same result?

If done this way I think it should be forced, hardcore mode or not, as it will not effect slow machines.
What about moving your head with the steering? This would greatly affect the angle you can watch in your mirror... A simple bitmap overlay (which I thought of too, at first) would look out of place as soon as the head starts turning...
#11 - Woz
Quote from bbman :What about moving your head with the steering? This would greatly affect the angle you can watch in your mirror... A simple bitmap overlay (which I thought of too, at first) would look out of place as soon as the head starts turning...

Yep and no. It does nothing at the moment to the view in the mirror and you only normally do quick looks in the mirror anyway so would prob not nitice.
I like this idea :up:
it'd look very out of place once the G movements ingame move the view around and the mirrors stay the same .. lol

plus, it wouldn't match the skin you are using then
Quote :Would be nice to have, also I would very much like the mirror resolution to be increased. When making the ghostcar mod I made a simple test thing that increases the mirror resolution to 512x512 and there was zero measurable performance impact from it...

Maybe a 'high quality mirror' option could be added that would both increase the resolution and render them properly from correct positions with the car visible.

+1

It would be cool to be able to adjust your side mirrors as well with an up/down/left/right button(s) in the options/view menu, as one does in real life.
#15 - Jakg
Kegety - can you please release it?
NIce thing, not realy good for use but it looks gooooood,

can we have it, plizzzz
-
(N I K I) DELETED by N I K I
Quote from Kegetys :Would be nice to have, also I would very much like the mirror resolution to be increased. When making the ghostcar mod I made a simple test thing that increases the mirror resolution to 512x512 and there was zero measurable performance impact from it...

+1111111111
+1
Yea I'd like heated, power-adjustable, and turn-signal-integrated side mirrors as well

This suggestion has been around for a long time, and I'm surprised it still hasn't been started on yet, but once again, +1 from me.
I have been wanting this for a very long time. But it should be made as an option like the skidmarks, wheels, and other stuff in the mirror. Just add "car model reflection" in the section with the rest of the +mirror, main, OFF Section.
Ahum...we have updated hi-res mirrors since patch W or X. Why bump this?
If my own car was in the view of my mirror in real life, I would adjust the mirror so that it wasn't. As for the side mirror, if you can see your own car, then it is adjusted wrong as well. It needs to be adjusted to remove blind spots, not as a rear view.

Realistic mirrors
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG