(75 posts, started )
#1 - Antsa
SimBin Race
Already downloading. Hope it's any good
#3 - Antsa
I have my prejudices but I hope...
Another expensive gMotor mod?
#5 - axus
"Don't even bother its a corrupted file,stalls at DirectX screen.
Tried two different install,both the same.
Also checked with another MR_MEN and same for him too."

- Some guy on RSC.
Going to try it anyway, the download is a bit fast o.O
Quote from axus :"Don't even bother its a corrupted file,stalls at DirectX screen.
Tried two different install,both the same.
Also checked with another MR_MEN and same for him too."

- Some guy on RSC.

Seems it just "stalls" for some time and then continues. I'll try it myself
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=271705

There other people say that it works, you just have to wait a little longer to some DirectX window to pop up or something

I have higher hopes for it than GTR2. It's still ISI but at least it's done by a different dev team, maybe with a little better motivation.
#9 - axus
Yeah, just read that.
It does stall, and can't even decompress it so it's definitely a no-go.

*EDIT: IT DOES WORK. IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS STALLED, BUT KEEP WAITING AND IT WILL EVENTUALLY RESUME INSTALLATION.

In caps just so you don't miss it

*EDIT 2: I wish it would have stalled though, less time wasted that way.

My impressions after 10 mins of play (i.e. hardly conclusive ):
The menu is the same old stuff you get with GTL, GTR and GTR2, it's just been done up a bit. Menu options are all the same, AFAICT. The first thought in my head after discovering the menu's similarity to its predecessors was that not much else has fundamentally changed either.

I was right. Wish I wasn't, but I was. Physics are somehow even more uninspiring than before, and despite driving pretty darn badly I could not get the BMW to spin. The FFB felt very disconnected, and I could not tell how fast I was going, or what revs I was doing. In other words, it was quite pitiful, really. The sounds are lacklustre and give no rise whatsoever to inspiring you to drive that one more hotlap and listen to the engine rumble and shake your innards.

I had a quick trash around Brands Hatch, if you can call it quick, as I really had no idea how fast or slow I was going. Default graphics settings (at 1024x768x16 @ 75Hz) looked ok, not spectacular but not shockingly poor either. I bother to didn't tweak them, because by the time I'd done a couple of laps I wanted to tie a rope on the pear tree right outside my window and hang myself till dead.

I think RACE will be the perfect solution for insomniacs. It is so incredibly uninspiring, boring and disconnected from the driving feel that I would have fallen asleep on lap 2 (the first lap was spent admiring Brands, which has been modeled quite nicely).
#11 - axus
So how about a "first impressions" from someone who doesn't think that cars can't drift?
#12 - JJ72
what cars and tracks are in the demo?
#13 - Jakg
Downloading....

Dont expect much, but its worth a shot!
BMW 320i
Seat Leon

Brands Hatch.

Well demo is a let down, Time Attack Only, 1 car at a time. Physics, sorry cannot comment due to playing with keyboard at work Sounded OK ( although only Dell A251 speakers ROFL )

So I though, sod it, lets rip those sounds and play with CSR instead, but what have done to the sounds. They appear as WAV's but nothing will open them
#15 - Jakg
Same old, same old...
Best thing about it are the wipers
Quote from Fordman :So I though, sod it, lets rip those sounds and play with CSR instead, but what have done to the sounds. They appear as WAV's but nothing will open them

James already made a nice XFR sound from a real Peugeot recording sample they had on the page...
#18 - JJ72
Anyone tried does the track works in GTL. (very probably not)
Dunno, I think I should be using gamepad when playing this
i don't understand how they think they can release the same game over and over without making any fundemental improvements. same tracks, same physics, some new car skins. lame.
#21 - DeKo
it only stalls for about 10 - 15 seconds for me... if people are that impatient, then god knows how there going to get on actually playing the game.

anyway, off to play, ill report back
Race could only disapoint ppl who had any hopes in it. Since i didnt, besides the 30 mins i wasted installing /uninstalling on 2 different computers, its totally indiferent to me.

Doesnt run on a non dx9 machine (needed a complete install to tell me that). So i installed it on a dx9 machine (i run oblivion there) and it rendered the ingame action at less that 1 frame per second. Obvious malfunction since it was totally unplayable and a drag to even make the buttons work to escape. About 1 frame displayed every 3 seconds or so. Incredibly slow. So i couldn't even run it to try it. According to others that were able to run it its a subrate product, done by the arcade branch after the blimey/simbin split. Toca was mentioned as being close to it. If it is or not, i dunno, what i know is that i wont waste anymore time with it.

ps: windowed mode was a joke and the installer stalls were also funny, especially considering when ppl complain about lfs.zip 1 sec unpack... was race a mod done by amateur dudes fresh out of school disguised as a commercial venture? Im sure it will be a sucess with the amount of ads and euroass behind it, and once again will prove that this society in so many areas, enhances and rewards mediocrity.

SAY NO TO RACEISM
It is soooooo great seeing the hardcore GTR and GTR2 fans complaining about how the cars seem to float above the track, how they feel disconnected from the cars, and how the FF sucks. I've felt this in all ISI games, it makes me wonder how bad Race actually is that the GTR Fanboys complaing about it....
#24 - DeKo
FF basically doesnt work for me, tried a few ways to get it to work.

the brakes are appalling, turned ABS off, and tried it with low and high and if you even tap the brakes the car just goes straight on, but when you take your foot off the pedal the brakes stay on for like a second more. its not like lag, im running it at 30+ fps constnatly (according to fraps), so i dont know what it is.

brands hatch is probably the most accurate recreation ive ever seen though, which is the only plus point imo.

SimBin Race
(75 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG