The online racing simulator
#26 - Jakg
Quote from george_tsiros :i am not a native english speaker and sometimes i can not explain myself very well.

AA will kill most cards' performance.

in any case, the LE our friend has is more than enough for LFS.

you explain yourself perfectly, i just misunderstood, and misread "AF" for "AA"

I was trying to say AA kills performance, and as i read it you said it didn't!

The LE has enough power to run LFS, just that if he ever finds it not running game x he knows which bit to get rid of!

Oh, and out of interest how did you set it to 32x AF? im using nHancer and the XTremeG 92.91 drivers and it only lets me do 16x?
i didn't set it. i just know there are cards that allow 32x aniso.

i do not use tweaked drivers... only once i used some 'omega' ones, on my ooold geforce2mx and everything went to hell.
#28 - Jakg
would that be with SLi? as with SLi i could (although it negates all performance advantage), but on my single card i can't...
I don't think there is any advantage from 16x to 32x.

There are other issues with graphics these days. Too high rendering res but not enough memory and/or speed for textures.

What good is 8x AA and 16x AF if the textures are still small? Theres some research going on about "megatextures" if you fancy, go check it out.
#30 - Jakg
megatextures, eh? Currently i have high-detail textures for EVERYTHING in LFS, and a special copy of LFS.exe that runs at max AA/AF for screenies, just thought 32x might look better
Hello again

Even when the AA and AF is set at zero in LFS and in the contorl panel have left if at application dedide the frame rate is at 60+ but at the begining of races it falls to 15 and the graphics dont seem to be very good I mean the picture is at times blurry.

Brought my old machine AMD 3000 64 ATI 256 MB Graphics 1024 RAM down to see the difference and set the LFS settings to match the new one and it looks much better the frame rate is around 70-80 so thought of upping the AA and AF to the maximum and the frame rate is around 30-40 and at the beginging of races is at 25 and still looks and feels much better.

I guess its the Nvdia card that is the problem the procesor on the Compaq is i guess much faster than the AMD3000.

Thought I try and fix the ATI 256 ram on the compaq machine but the slot is PCI express it wont fit.

Do i replace the card will make that differnce?
#32 - Jakg
well which processor do you have? what was your old gfx card?
Does your system have a dual-core patch? It is known that WinXP and earlier arent 100% compatible(to clarify, there might be some problems in certain cases) with new dualcore CPU, so there was a patch for WinXP released by Microsoft. Also try to set LFS affinity to just one core in TaskManager(Rclick on LFS.exe>Set Affinity>CPU 0)
The computer is Compaq Presario:
SR1937

The processor is:

PentiumD 940 (P) DC 3.2 GHz
800 MHz front side bus
Socket 775

2 GIG Ram
Nvidia Graphics 7500LE

The old system is:

AMD Athlon 3000 64
Graphics Card:
ATI Radeon 256 MB

Do I still need the patch?

Please expalin how do i change the affinity.

Thanks very much
#35 - Jakg
don't know much about that CPU, but i would like to know what graphics card you used to have, as your old pc's CPU (could) be quicker (or made quicker with overclocking, i've seen a 3000 join the 3 GHz club!)

EDIT - 5,000 Post!
Where can I get the patch?
I am not a "dualcore guy", but I think that googling "dualcore fix/patch" or even searching here around the forum will give you a clue. Also you might try to look on <censored>www.microsoft.com</censored> and find it there.

I really recommend applying that patch, you cant screw anything and you might gain something.

How to change affinity
Launch LFS and ALT-TAB it to desktop. Go to Start>Run>taskmgr. There switch to Processes tab. Find LFS.exe there and rightclick it. In menu that appears click Set Affinity and uncheck the CPU 1(so only CPU 0 will left). Click OK, close TaskMan and thats it...
Thanks MadCatX

When right clicking the task maanger on the LFS.exe all I see in mene is the End Process, End Process Tree and Set Priority.

Dont seeset affinity
Hello

Anyone know where i can find this patch and how to set the affinity as mentioned by MadCatX.

Thanks
When you open up task manager and go to the performance tab do you see 4 CPU Usage History graphs?

If you don't then windows needs to be reinstalled so that it can detect that there are two cores and two HT cores to show 4 graphs. You also need XP Pro SP2 as Home is limited to 2 cores

The dual core patch isn't needed, i've never needed it on my X2 or this C2D.

CR.
patch: http://server.counter-strike.n ... P-KB896256-v3-x86-ENU.exe

you'll also need this link for the modify registry settings part:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256

– Install Patch – Reboot Computer – Modify Registry Settings – Reboot Computer

the file is not hosted on my webspace, and therefore i have not verified the link to the patch, so you should definately scan it for viruses. i just found a link to the file.

if you don't want to deal with that, in the microsoft link that i supplied, there is instructions for contacting microsoft and they will send the file to you.

also, probably don't want to hear it, but your old video card is much better than the new one, and all you needed to do to increase the performance on the one box was upgrade the video card.

i've got the same cpu as you, but have a ati x1600xt (not a great card, but faster than what i had and got a good price for it), and depending on the track and number of cars, i get between 60fps and 130fps (usually around 80), at 1440x900 with 4xAA and 8xAF.

Also, since LFS isn't multithreaded, dual processors isn't going to help out much (if at all), although the microsoft patch is supposed to help with that.
#42 - Jakg
Dual Processors? He doesn't have 2 CPU's!

And the 7500LE is the same speed as a 6600GT, his old one is NOT slower!
windows treats dual cores as dual processors, the 940 is a dual core, so essentially 2 cpus.

i can't find any technical info on the 7500LE other than it's based off the g72, same as the 7300LE. The 7300LE is a 64-bit card, and if (basis of my comments) the 7500LE is a 64-bit card, it will be slower than a radeon 9550 (a 128-bit card), desite the fact that the 7500le has higher clock speeds.

there is more to determining a cards performance than clock speed, and bus width is very much an important factor in determining performance.

if the 7500 is in fact a 128-bit card, then it would likely be faster than the 9550, but as the OP has stated that the old system with the 9550 gets better frame rate than the new system with the 7500, evidence points very strongly to the 7500 being a 64-bit card (and is slower).
#44 - Jakg
Quote from glyphon :windows treats dual cores as dual processors, the 940 is a dual core, so essentially 2 cpus.

yh, but you started saying 4 CPU's?

and a 7300LE is, slightly slower than a 6600GT (From reading overclock.net), and the 7500LE is slightly quicker than the 7300LE.

I will say that someone with an identical pc to the op's pc, and in 3DMark06 it got something like 600, however the 7300LE and 7500LE are both TurboCache.

Either way, the 9550 isn't faster, I just think that the new one has cheap kit (ie mobo, memory), and isn't that much faster

And yes, I know clockspeeds mean very little, my old 9600XT was oc'ed to 550 MHz, and my 7950GT is 580 MHz (Stock, now running at 625... ), yet my pc is about 3.5x quicker with it!
i never said 4 cpus. that was a different poster.

and LFS performance results from the OP, which equal graphic settings
AMD/9500 - 70-80fps and 25fps at race start
P4D/7500le - 60fps and 15fps at race start

the 9600xt is a 128-bit card and the 7950 is a 256-bit card, so that just supports my claim that the older/"slower" 128-bit 9550 is a better performing card than the newer/"faster" 64-bit 7500le. bus width makes a huge impact on performance.
Quote from Concorde Rules :When you open up task manager and go to the performance tab do you see 4 CPU Usage History graphs?

If you don't then windows needs to be reinstalled so that it can detect that there are two cores and two HT cores to show 4 graphs. You also need XP Pro SP2 as Home is limited to 2 cores

The dual core patch isn't needed, i've never needed it on my X2 or this C2D.

CR.

Thanks very much for the info I see 2 CPU Usage History graphs.

Will installing the patch from Microsoft solve the problem on XP home edition?

Please tell me whtas X2 and C2D
Quote from Jakg :
EDIT - 5,000 Post!

u made 213 posts in a bit more than a week? illepall

on topic - i find it funny that i get EXACTLY the same frames (100-110) with 640x480 and 1024x768
anything above that does lower the fps though.
Quote from glyphon :patch: http://server.counter-strike.n ... P-KB896256-v3-x86-ENU.exe

you'll also need this link for the modify registry settings part:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256

– Install Patch – Reboot Computer – Modify Registry Settings – Reboot Computer

the file is not hosted on my webspace, and therefore i have not verified the link to the patch, so you should definately scan it for viruses. i just found a link to the file.

if you don't want to deal with that, in the microsoft link that i supplied, there is instructions for contacting microsoft and they will send the file to you.

also, probably don't want to hear it, but your old video card is much better than the new one, and all you needed to do to increase the performance on the one box was upgrade the video card.

i've got the same cpu as you, but have a ati x1600xt (not a great card, but faster than what i had and got a good price for it), and depending on the track and number of cars, i get between 60fps and 130fps (usually around 80), at 1440x900 with 4xAA and 8xAF.

Also, since LFS isn't multithreaded, dual processors isn't going to help out much (if at all), although the microsoft patch is supposed to help with that.

Thanks very much for the info.

The link for the patch does not work.

Microsoft wants monies and I have contacted compaq. Not very nice of Compaq to install OS on a machine that will not run at its optimum.

Seems like I rushed into buying this for nothing

Thanks once again for the info
crazy...it was working yesterday. sorry.

and you're new box is a very good box for desktop applications that support multiprocessors (such as photoshop, 3d apps, some games), its just that LFS isn't such a game...and in typical compaq fashion, the installed video card is junk, but that's easy enough to fix

for ~50£ (or a little less) you can a very good video card that will help out a ton over the 7500le.

and don't feel bad about the computer. just find another use for it when you aren't using it for LFS...like video production, audio production, 3d graphics, photomanipulation...there's undoubedly other apps out there that support multi-cpus, it just i'm most familiar with multimedia apps
Quote from glyphon :crazy...it was working yesterday. sorry.

and you're new box is a very good box for desktop applications that support multiprocessors (such as photoshop, 3d apps, some games), its just that LFS isn't such a game...and in typical compaq fashion, the installed video card is junk, but that's easy enough to fix

for ~50£ (or a little less) you can a very good video card that will help out a ton over the 7500le.

and don't feel bad about the computer. just find another use for it when you aren't using it for LFS...like video production, audio production, 3d graphics, photomanipulation...there's undoubedly other apps out there that support multi-cpus, it just i'm most familiar with multimedia apps

Thanks very much for the consoalation much appreciated.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG