The online racing simulator
Steering Wheel compatability and other question...
Hey guys

My first real post here :o

Ive been playing S2 for quite a while now and decided itd be a good opertunity to get a steering wheel since i feel it'd be more realistic then trying to use the keyboard

Without wanting to spend much money incase i didnt like it, i've ordered this

http://www.pyramid.com/Product.aspx?StockCode=781098

Now how much easier/harder is it to race with a wheel/pedals then the keyboard?
Also what car should i use to get used to it before going back to online racing?
Finally what sort of things should i set up on the wheel so it works nicely with the cars in LFS?

I'll probs have more questions but as a newb, im gonna go hide first and let these ones be flamed

Cheers guys

~~ TS ~~
ya mate of mine has that wheel pretty good actually the best thing to do id lots of hotlapping and wheel settings should be fine!enjoy
Cheers Sully for your advice

Anyone else got any input on this?

~~ TS ~~
Hey! My first post period!

Like the last guy said, there will be some break-in period if you've been using the keyboard forever. I think you'll find yourself smiling a lot and having much more fun, and a much more immersive experience in general with a wheel. I have two, a super cheapo non FFB and my Logitech Momo Force (that I actually use now) and I could -never- go back to any other controller. Dual analog controllers (forced to use it when doing Toca 3 in split screen) work better than I thought, but there is still no comparison. If you like driving games, get a wheel when you can afford it.

Cheers!
If you're going to splash on a wheel you might as well splash a bit more and get a Logitech DFP. I use one and it's worlds apart. A friend of mine bought LFS after seeing it at mine, and he uses a joystick. He says it's a completely different game with a wheel, and he's right.

You get to feel what the car is doing through the forcefeedback, you get to guide the car gently to the exact spot on the track (well, in theory...). For example - take the UF1 for a spin and the steering is very light. Take the FXR and it's a fight to turn the wheel.

A FF wheel adds a whole new dimension to the game, so if you're going to do it you might as well do it properly.

I only glanced at the wheel you posted, but I'd be careful to make sure the wheel you do get has force feedback, not just a rumble every time something happens. Otherwise you'll not get the full fun/benfit of a wheel.

A Froogle shows you can get a new DFP for £59.75 delivered from Savastore (where I got mine): http://www.savastore.com/produ ... e&product_id=10284878

Hope this helps, even if it's much more expensive an option than you had in mind.
the DFP is almost 3x the cost of the one that he's getting. That's quite a big difference.

But the wheel/pedals will make it much easier to drive...after you get used to it. there's a bit of getting used to, because in your mind, you think it should be just like driving a car in real life, when its actually a bit difference because you don't have all the sensations you have in a real car.

but after you get over that, its a bunch of fun. then after a year or so, you may find yourself splurging on a $300USD wheel/pedal set to get the game feeling that much more realistic

but enjoy your new controller. it will definatley change your experience for the better.

also, i used the training tasks to help me get aquainted with the wheel and controlling the car using it. it was a big help for me.
Hey everyone thanks for the replys

The steering wheel i purchased christofire does have Force feedback, its brilliant

Ive been suprised with how easily ive adapted to using the steering wheel from the keyboard, i expected it to be hard but ive noticed myself getting better PB's and racing a much better line since using the wheel, as you say, i feel like theres much more control with the car!

Thanks to everyone whos posted, im off to race some more!

Oh and whilst im here, just want to say thanks to the guys on RR2 this morning, they were understanding after a spinout i had whilst being blue flagged n thus took out 2nd place.
They said it wasnt a problem and "It happens". Great guys on that server

~~ TS ~~
Got my DFP from them today! It's great, but I'm using vista and the FFB isn't working. Anybody have any ideas?
i know that FFB does work in Vista, or at least it did way back in beta 1 (i haven't used any of the newer releases). maybe try the logitech profiler software. i can't remember if i was using that on vista or not. it can't hurt to try...just remember to set a system restore point just in case it doesn't get along with vista.
Tried the profiler and it works up until you can choose what you want to calibrate your wheel, as the dfp isn't displayed. HELP!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG