The online racing simulator
A car to train with.
(26 posts, started )
A car to train with.
What would be the best all around vehicle, that if I practiced with over and over with, would make driving other vehicles easier? I was thinking either the LX6 or the FZ50R.

Other opinions?
The FZR is a good one because that car is so twitchy that if you make the slightest mistake, the back comes out, but it's easy to right. If you practice with this car, pushing it, you should be able to bring back any other car whilst losing it.

After you've practised that, i'd practise with LX's because they go big when you lose it but you should be able to right them if you practise hard with FZR.
I thought so! How about about the best track?
Just off the top of my head, KY National would be a good one. But pretty much every track which has twisty, sharp corners.

Westhill International is a good one for the cormners you need to break on. If you push it hard it's also good for the corners you don't need to break on, as you can get the back out and correct it.
You can also try drifting. One of the hardest to hold on to is the LX6 imo. Learning how to drift well really has helped me race, even with a twitchy FOX set, I can usually catch it if I start to slide.
Yes but drifting is a different thing altogether.

It's for fun, not really to help racing.

It might in the long run help but practising keeping the car at bay is a good way.
MRT5
FZR with some popular config (exluding AS Nat).
Quote from Blackout :MRT5

That's a good car to drive with. It's different to the other cars.
For a start it has no reverse gear (which I find unbelievably stupid) and you have to use downshift to get it into gear.

Also, it's like a jitter bug. It's hard to control the car in a straight line. It moves all over the place.
You really need skill to drive it.
@nutty boy: If you were at all familiar with how motorcycle transmissions work, you wouldn't find it stupid...
I'd say pick any fern bay or south city config, but don't choose Aston National. The last one is just not challanging in my opinion. Also, I think you'll learn much more when training with a difficult car, such as the LX6 or even the XRT, than when driving a downforce car.
Quote from Forbin :@nutty boy: If you were at all familiar with how motorcycle transmissions work, you wouldn't find it stupid...

Yes but i'm not familiar with how motorcycle transmissions work.
Try Fern Bay Black (rev) with one of the LX cars. Unless you try to impress your friends with drifting, you will quickly learn how important throttle control is. Not only will you be almost constantly cornering through a good mix of slow, medium and fast corners, the relatively narrow track and steep curbs will also teach you precision.

Ontop of that, the length of the track makes sure that no lap is like the other, and especially at the beginning you'll have to rely more on actually controlling the car and estimating corner speeds, than falling back on a ingrained and almost automatic reaction gained by driving through that corner a thousand times already (which is often the cause for the "brick wall" you hit on PB times, because instead of trying new techniques you're always doing the old and often sub-optimal things).
Anyone got a good all round setup for the LX6? I keep thinking I just need a good setup before I start getting into this car.
Quote from nutty boy :
Also, it's like a jitter bug. It's hard to control the car in a straight line. It moves all over the place.
You really need skill to drive it.

Yeah, that's why I suggested it.
I only realised that today.
I haven't driven it much since I got my wheel and I think the only time I have is in Autocross setup where it isn't shaky.
Quote from Electrik Kar :Anyone got a good all round setup for the LX6? I keep thinking I just need a good setup before I start getting into this car.

Not for the '6, but generally try to use rear toe in, front toe out and don't go overboard with implanting understeer. You still want to be able to control the car with the throttle, meaning understeer on throttle and oversteer on neutral/lift-off, to a certain extent. Personally I'm also using the viscious diff, but I'm not sure if that works well on the LX6, too. Also: soft tyres.
Quote from nutty boy :For a start it has no reverse gear (which I find unbelievably stupid) and you have to use downshift to get it into gear.

tell that at honda or suzuki

edit: sry, i went watching f1 and didnt refresh page
ust out of interest, how do peple go about laerning a new track? i always try to go round a few times in say, 3rd gear, then gradually start going faster and braking later, sort of testing boundries.

does anyone else know any more effective ways?
I just go around. I try not to go online until i've learnt the track.
When i've learnt it and where the braking points are then i'm good to go online.
Quote from Captain Slow :ust out of interest, how do peple go about laerning a new track? i always try to go round a few times in say, 3rd gear, then gradually start going faster and braking later, sort of testing boundries.

does anyone else know any more effective ways?

AIs
First just go around cautiously, then increase speed. As soon as the next corner isn't a mystery anymore (read: you know the track and could replay it in your mind), I go off and watch a WR replay, so I know the proper driving lines and corner speeds, thus not wasting any time learning "false" ones. Of course I don't try to imitate them immediately - that would only lead to failure - but atleast I know what the end result is supposed to look like.
hey jayhawk, was i playing on a zombie mod server(cs:s) with you just recently? or am i just a littleillepall
Quote from mattlikespeoples :hey jayhawk, was i playing on a zombie mod server(cs:s) with you just recently? or am i just a littleillepall

Not I, no.
After a couple of laps to familiarise myself a bit, I usually then go about memorizing which gear is best for which corner, followed by the rpm range I want. Optimum speeds come later when I can afford to look at the speedo while cornering. Mind you, I haven't really had to learn any new layouts in ages, but that's generally what I do when learning a new track/car combo. Also, having enough virtual miles under your belt with a specific car will make it much easier when switching to a new track. I can usually place in the top 3 laptime-wise after 5-10 laps on any given server when using a familiar car on an unfamiliar track layout.

A car to train with.
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG