The online racing simulator
Best way to start
(12 posts, started )
#1 - Thoma
Best way to start
Ive now got S2. Go me. Been having a mess around in there already. But whats the best car to start with and on what track or is that personal choice.

I just want something so I can start to see how the new tracks are laid out etc and can give me a good race

Cheers.
Personal preference, if you played the demo you may already have a fav from those 3, just use that to know the tracks, then pick a new car and see how it feels!
#3 - Thoma
Okay cheers. S2 looks good already though. Should be intresting when i get a wheel!

Thanking you.
Not the BF1. Not the oval.

Other than that, it's pretty much up to you. Being new to S2 you probably want to experience the speed and features of the new cars, but chosing a tricky car is probably not going to make you many friends .

Maybe try the Formula XR (FOX), as it has slicks, downforce, reasonable speed and is one of the easiest to drive cars in S2. Whatever you chose, try to practice a few laps offline first. If you can beat the Pro AI on a track, you're pretty much ready for going online and not being an equivalent to a moving chicane.

From the track choice, South City (very bumpy!) or one of the smaller Aston configs seem to be pretty popular. But go with whatever you want

By the way, welcome to S2
#5 - Gunn
FOX at blackwood to start, then after you get used to the FOX a bit, try a new track.
Personally id say - There is no real way to start.
I started by racing FXR at blacwood when i got confident with FXR i moved tracks. Then i raced other GTR's at some tracks. THen moved to lrf, tbo and ss. But im still a complete noob to the lrf and tbo classes.

Really there is sooooo many combinations that start with something your comfortable with and have the best time
when i was faced with how to advance after buying s2 i rationalised as having new cars and new circuits to learn.

following from real life teams and drivers it seemed logical to learn either 1 or the other but not both at once.

i'd suggest you have a play with all the cars on bl gp and also use the demo car your most comfortable with to try the other circuits.

chances are 1 car will grab you fairly quickly so practice with that at bl gp and then try it on the other tracks.

1 extra hint id give is dont get tempted into using "asymetric" setups at first, get a setup which is not optimised for 1 direction or another and which you can drive comfortably and consistently and then use that constant handling to allow you to learn other tracks, it wont be fast on any track but it will allow you to get miles in which is what you need when starting
Main thing to remember is that getting fast takes time. So just try lots of different tracks and cars and see what suits you. If you like to drive smooth then cars like the FOX will suit your style. If on the other hand you are the last of the late breakers and very aggresive then cars like the XFR or FXO might suit you better.

As for tracks, my favourites are KY GP Long and Aston Historic but then I just like long circuits.

Try the FOX at Aston Historic - that's my new favourite combo.
You can practise online.. but know what BLUE FLAG means and know what shift S does

(blue flag is: make room for the car(s) behind you, because you are a lap behind, shift S returns you to the pits instantly, so that's the quickest way to get out of the way)

You wont make any friends if you get between the cars that are lapping you...
There are very different views on what to do when you get a blue flag though, and several threads about it....

Just don't make any sudden changes of direction or speed (IMO)
There are...
But if you're just starting and dont know the track or car... just get out of the way. Lots of times people panic, and either brake or hit a wall and end up where they dont want to be: right in front of the cars behind them.
So the safest way to get out of the way for a beginner is: pit.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :Then that beginner will always be a beginner.

Not neccessarily. I'm taking that comment as the absolute beginner who has no idea if there even is a turn coming up and has never driven the particular car. It's ok to be on the track with others, but if you don't have any idea if the turn is a left or a right coming up over the slight blind hill, then you shouldn't get in the way and should pit. Once you have a reasonable sense of the track layout, it changes. But you should not get in the middle of the lead pack a lap down as a relatively new beginner until you are at least competetive with the faster of the back half of racers.

And never ever ever get yourself in the situation of being in the middle of the leaders if you midrace join. Happened to me the other night where a guy pulled over for me being in the lead but caught the 2nd and 3rd place cars I was having a good race with and took them out. (Yea Kev, I know, hard to believe me in the lead, hehe).

Best way to start
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG