The online racing simulator
Annoying Lotus-7 deadzone..
(4 posts, started )
Anyone else get this..

I'm using a Logitech DFP wheel and get a considerable deadzone in the centre steer position of the Lotus-7 (aka LX4 ) which is totally wrong for a car like that..

Is it my setup?

I've reduced the Castor to lighten the steering but have had to be careful as it emphasises the deadzone problem. I know it's supposed to probably be heavy to emulate lack of power steering but in such a light car it's too much at 6 degrees as a default

I'd like to eliminate the deadzone and have deadzones switched off in the axis config but it seems to make little difference.

Also when driving the car at high speed the steering seems to want to snake and the car wants to fishtail slightly.

I love oversteer so dont want to kill that.

any ideas?

Dogmeat
Hmmm.

First check in your MISC options under "Analogue Steer Smooth"... if that is high then that could be the cause of it. I always put mine to 0. This setting gives a very heavy feeling in dead center position and creates a sluggish reaction feel.

If that is not it, goto your CONTROL options and find the option for Centre Steer Reduction (I think that is what it is called, crap I forgot). But if that is also high, that could be the issue.

If that is still not it, perhaps you have used something like DxTweak? Because that is the only thing I know of that could change your deadzone like that. If this is ONLY in LFS, then it could be what you have set in the game. If you post a replay showing your steering, that might help (steer side to side slowly, then rapidly to demonstrate the deadzone). And for the wobbling at high speeds, that could be your force feedback. The game feels best (and most realistic) if you have the centering spring OFF on your controller (Not sure what the setting is called for the DFP).
Are you sure that you have all of the other steering related settings adjusted in the appropriate way? In particular, the 'wheel turn' and 'wheel turn compensation' sliders in the <options>....<controls> page ? Do make sure that the 'wheel turn' slider is set to the correct arc of rotation for your wheel (180 degrees?). Settin the 'wheel turn compensation' to 1.0 should give you good linear response in the centre section of the wheel, which should address your problem, I think.

I've attached a setup which I created that I find very effective - I can lap the LX4 with this quicker than I can many of the much more powerful cars (FZ50 et al) on the tight circuits. I also use a Logitech wheel.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Attached files
LX4_Mark1.set - 132 B - 1106 views
Kinda fixed now
Thanks fellas;

I had the 'Wheel Turn Compensation' set to 1; I reduced that and it seems to have helped although my CateringVan driving is still very lairy Fun though; Just not quick..

Old Dogmeat Dan

(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG