The online racing simulator
awesome v8 clip,tire deflection
(59 posts, started )
Quote from sil3ntwar :There is no deformation under braking in LFS.

I wonder if there would be if... say the XRR had twice the mass that it does?
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I wonder if there would be if... say the XRR had twice the mass that it does?

dont think so
im pretty sure that there is no radial compression in the model
try a high profile tyre like on the lx and set the pressure a low as itll go and you still only gett lateral tyre deformations
There is but only if the car weighs A LOT and the tire is very skinny, at least in version Q. I just tried it with LFSTweak.

Tires: 120/100/14
Chassis Weight Factor: 50 (results in a weight of about 5500 lbs)
Quote from Shotglass :dont think so
im pretty sure that there is no radial compression in the model
try a high profile tyre like on the lx and set the pressure a low as itll go and you still only gett lateral tyre deformations

There must be at least some because if your drop the car in the showroom screen you can see the tires compress. I wonder why it doesn't happen under heavy braking?

I must admit I was surprized to see just how much braking caused the tires to deform in that vid; that's really something.
I know there is radial deformation, at least there was in S1, haven't looked in S2 really.

Also, about the tire shaking back and forth over curbs and such, watch F1 sometime, where they get those super slow motion shots over the curbs. The tire deflects a lot for a split second, then shakes back and forth on the wheel until it hits the ground again. Granted, it doesn't deform as much as LFS would in that situation, but the effect is right at least.
#31 - dev
Wow, incredible camera view. Thanks for sharing!
#33 - Gunn
Another point they mentioned at Bathurst is that the inside of the tyre touching the road (due to camber) heats up significantly on the straight.

Also these tyres have only 4mm of tread, which is hard to imagine even though it is true.

The "888" on the air jack is the car's racing number and also the name of the team: "Triple Eight Racing"

Lowndes is one of the smoothest drivers around so it was perhaps the best car to use for an example of tyre flex and loading. Great stuff.

Ten loses the V8's next year, they go back to the 7 network which many are dreading. 7 is known for limp sports broadcasting and can't even make the olympics interesting. Even though 7 was the first to pioneer in-car live cameras (now used right around the world) their sporting broadcasts leave a lot to be desired. At least we might see these well-placed cameras again next year. 10 really concentrated on technical stuff over the whole race weekend, more so than they have in past years, let's hope 7 realises the bar has been raised and rise to meet it, or raise it even more.
Great isn't it physics at work, stunning video .

I have a video of a 747 descending into clouds and encountering turbulance, suddenly the wings and engines act like they are held together by Jelly , gets me everytime I watch it.

John
Yeah great camera shots, Aussies are know for there ingenuity

Didn't have much time to watch the race . Saw the first hour and the last, was depressed when Scaife's car failed right from the start, but was happy to see that Craig won, if it had to be a Ford then I'm glad it was Lowndesy

One thing I did hear that got my interest (but didn't catch all the details) is that the information the drivers have is comparable to what we get in lfs. They get G force readings and I think true speed also... and I'm pretty sure a driver made a comment about this info helping to handle the car better in corners - would like to find out more about there incar systems.

The V8Supercars have always run pretty high cambers on the fronts, to help turn in - they are real understearing bastards under breaking with all that wieght up front
awesome video
#37 - Woz
Quote from AndroidXP : They, do, pretty much.

Did I just hear that they're running 6° camber on these? Or was that stated as maximum?

They run at around -5 to -6 on the front and about -2 on the rears. The cars look like the suspension has failed from the front

Quote from Glenn67 :One thing I did hear that got my interest (but didn't catch all the details) is that the information the drivers have is comparable to what we get in lfs. They get G force readings and I think true speed also... and I'm pretty sure a driver made a comment about this info helping to handle the car better in corners - would like to find out more about there incar systems.

They get loads of info fed to them but not sure what they have readout wise in car.

One point of interest is that in an interview after the race Craig said he watched some of the vid of his tires as he went down the start straight on a huge monitor track side. He called the pit crew to see if there was something wrong with the tire

I think Beckys app is the direction LFS should go with driver info in that you hear your pit crew feed you info instead of see it on screen.
sorry to sound daft but in real life if you hit a kerb to hard the bead does brake and the tyre becomes flat/air loss perhaps lfs should do this if the kerb is hit too hard.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :I just had to change my pants.

God damn that is an awesome place for a camera (also love how the sponsors don't waste any space, eh?), some of the corners looks like the tyre is about to fall off.

It was even better watching it live on TV the other day!

BTW 888 isn't the sponser, it's the number of the car (The team of that car is also called Triple Eight Racing). Although, they also had a camera in the wheel arch of another vehicle showing the rear of the brake disc and suspension components, there was plently of sponser stickers in there!

(Oops, looks like Gunn beat on that one!)

The move from 10 to 7 is going to be bad. Channel 7 are useless at best, shit they can't even get regular TV programs to run ontime with the TV guide.... they stuff the most simple of things and want to tackle live sport?? Shudder to think how the coverage will turn out. Considering 7 spends more time off the air in sporting events then on... hopeless, hopeless, hopeless station. BOO!!

I just hope they learnt something from the crap attempt at covering the Olympics - doubt it though.
Funny: I was watching that tyre flex live on TV and instantly thought: "I wonder if someone's going to bring up tyre flex on the LFS forum?" Presto! That was one of many golden moments that day. Well done Craig btw - champion drive, well-deserved victory (honourable mention to the Kelly brothers too). I really enjoyed Sunday :up:

A live Bathurst broadcast is a wonderful, wonderful thing, especially since 10 took it up They've given us the best motorsport coverage ever and I'm certainly not looking forward to the V8s going back to Channel 7. To me Channel 7 is the "dreg" station in Oz, populated mostly by second-rate crap I wouldn't watch if I was paid (notable exceptions being My Name Is Earl, Lost and Family Guy - which are all on the same night too, so I don't have to punish myself by watching 7 more than once a week). Don't get me wrong - the other stations are mostly crap too, but it's a better class of crap 7 were crap when they had the football too, by the way, as Channels 9 and 10 clearly proved with their fine coverage.

As a great example of their lack of ability to pick a winner, in the 1980s Channel 7 had Neighbours for its first season, possibly Australia's most lucrative show ever (whether you like the show or not), particularly overseas - but it didn't rate too well so instead of giving it a second chance they sold it to Channel 10! They must still be kicking themselves. Gits. They gave away Neighbours! :doh:
Some one mentioned the Porsche tyre flex video, so here it is:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ist9yQn2uUQ

Didn't find that even more amazing slomo clip with dragster tyres, anyone has a link for that?
Its a damn shame that Channel Ten is losing the rights to televise V8Supercars,they picked motorsport out of this gutter in Oz and made a world standard product, not to mention every other form of motorsport.

Its going to back to the bad old days where we get whatever time is left after football.....

ps:Ten did a shit hot job of the Bathurst telecast , some of the shots of the extractors/headers glowing looked wicked
It was a great race and the ending was incredible ... bought a tear to my eye I can tell you and it couldn't have been won by a nicer guy.

Unfortunately most of the incar shots that Channel 10 show, don't show the steering wheel work so all you get is the passenger view, not knowing what is going on with the steering (except for the very occasional shot from Greg Murphy's car, but you still can't see out the front window properly).

I think the reason for the strange incar shot is that they can fit more sponsorship logos in from that angle.

I watched it all via the satellite feed, so have one TV setup with the incar only feeds and another on the main 10 feed.

I certainly wouldn't say that 10 has done great things for motorsport at all. Sure they have supported V8 "Supercars" and the V8 "Superstars" however there is no coverage of anything else anymore (from them), no more coverage of Sport Sedans, Apendix J, Improved Production, Formula Ford (and any other open wheeler class) or the new classes that are running now (eg thunder sports).

It all only V8's Supercars , V8 development series (old V8 Supercars) and a few laps of the GT3's, that's it. 3 different cars only representing Australian track racing by channel 10 all year long. Thank goodness for speed week as they show all of the really interested stuff on SBS on Sunday.

I also dislike how ten always delays the F1 for about 10 - 20 minutes on their advertised time because big brother or idol runs overtime. It happens almost everytime. They almost never show F1 live either, becuase that would interfer with their evening programs. They don't give good coverage of A1 either (virtually none).

The Group A days where much more interesting than the current era. Group A was an international class that bought international teams from all over the world to compete. It was the class the made Bathurst Famous. A class where there where more than just 2 makes of cars. Back in those days channel 7 had really good incar camera shots, on the roof shots, front bumper shots, decent incar shots showing the steering work and vision out the front in the same shot, faster pans on the incar camera etc. I personally think they did a better job, but time will tell how they go this time around (who knows they might contract out the same guys as 10 uses anyway).
Soarer you have a short memory my friend, it was TEN that brought us the BTCC,Superbikes,WRC,OZ Rally, Trackside (ok Speedweek is probably better)RPM (So glad they ditched the ditzy bird)ChampCars and lots of stuff i cant remember atm.

Oh and they did a decent job of motogp, in OZ tbh we havent had so much motorsport on the Telly ever before..

Sure some of its gone,mainly cos its cone to cable tv or whoever pays more.

My memories of Seven were shortened highlights after the footy of the old ATCC series and the old old amscar series and bugger all else...

sorry for going off topic i,m just mourning the loss of decent teev motorsport

ps:If F1 was delayed with ten can you remember how bad Channel Nine did it
Yeah ok, they did do some reruns of BTCC for a short time (great racing too) years back. Trackside was ditched last year and even then they offered very limited, cut up coverage of some major support races delayed by a week or more. They have done Motorbike Stuff and they do a decent job of the local rallying, I do admit.
There is alot more motorsport around nowadays, with or without 10.

My memories of 7 are Sunday afternoons watching coverage of Formulee Fords, Sports Sedans, production cars, Appendix J, and of course the main game, Group A (and with decent incar camera !) although I do recall that the coverage went bad at one point with cut up delays played at night.

None of that has gone to cable, it is all still running, plus alot more (except Group A of course), but what we see on 10 on raceday is one delayed V8 race, one live, and maybe you get the Sat race live (sometimes) or at about 11pm Sat night. It is all the top end of town stuff coupled with alot of talk to fill in the gaps where the support races are.

Don't get me wrong, there is some good racing in there, and I'm not saying TEN are totally useless, but what they do represent of Australian motorsport is a small cross section of the top end $$$$ stuff only, nothing even close to grass roots in represented.

Anyway I'm a happy camper on Sunday with 2 hours speedweek to watch, as long as it isn't drag racing or boats !
I do love Speedweek but yeah, boats & drags can feck off! Wheels and corners ONLY thanks

awesome v8 clip,tire deflection
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG