The online racing simulator
Spinoff : Speedo discussions
(85 posts, started )
That would be on the art side of things, but can someone answer why I just read a slew of year old news for 2 posts, and one was an opinion about the old posts that are irrelevant now? I get that patch y (or the test patches) have changed the speedo again but theres probably 50 other threads about the speedo. Anyway, at least the search functionality has been used and about the digital speedo, DON'T put it back in, although I can say the above post about adding the colored marker would be good as going through pit-lane I can not seem to stay at the right speed (without keeping an eye on the speedo here and there). I could probably drive 25 and get rear ended quickly by the next person, but thats no fun!
#52 - senn
smartest solution to a problem evar. marked analog gauge would be an awesome fix (and i would think fairly easy? devs?)
You should be able to do it by ear.
Quote from Breizh :You should be able to do it by ear.

A 50rpm change (which is about what it would be to be at speed in pits / not speeding in pits) is not as easy to detect by ear. If your talking about shifting, then yes that is easily done by ear.
Quote from Breizh :You should be able to do it by ear.

Yes , you are absolutely right ,
but ... if I lean my ear on the monitor i can't hear anything

maybe i sit on the wrong side of it
#56 - JTbo
Quote from blackbird04217 :A 50rpm change (which is about what it would be to be at speed in pits / not speeding in pits) is not as easy to detect by ear. If your talking about shifting, then yes that is easily done by ear.

You defineatly can't drive withing 50rpm IRL either, not even if you would keep eye on speedometer, there is no need for such thing, you are not supposed to drive 79kph exact on pits, 75-79, something like that, situation is same for all and if you loose race because of that, there might be something else you could do to make up that time loss.
btw as iv posted in the interface thread, from x33 to x35 it made speedos look squished etc which every one knows, but then the patch after squashed it even more even tho it said it was changed in the changelog :S
Use the tacho and gear! it can't be that hard.

I know that in my set 2nd gear and below 5000rpm will keep the speed below 80kph.

What makes it so difficult for you lot? Are you stupid or something?

It takes only one bloody run through the pits to find out what gear and rpm produce the unvanted DT. Then you just keep it under that rpm.

The time you lose while driving through the pits at 75 instead of 79 is neglible. You lose much more in the first corner when you miss the apex because your tires are cold.

Why don't you want the digital speedo to show 1/10 too? Then you could drive through the pit at 79.9 and gain loads of valuable time.
Blackbird, Ger Roady, I just tried it again to be sure, and I can definitely stay under 80kph by ear with an error margin of 2 or 3kph. I've got tinitis, so if I can do it, you should too.
And like March says, many cars can have first or second set to 80kph. Pretty simple.
Wow I wasn't complaining about the new system just so all of the above know, I was agreeing with the color indicator, and disagreeing with being able to hear your speed well enough not to speed. I never said I cared that I am going 70kph in pits or anything because like said above, its not that much of a difference. Entering the pits at max speed can be made easier with the color indicator, I don't really mind either way. I was just agreeing, so please don't think that I am upset with the way things are.
Note to self:
Keep reminding people that in English "you" is both singular and plural.
If I have a tacho in my car, I should be able to read it, (not to hear) else it is worthless and can be removed.
I don't want to test my speed everytime I use a different setup. Remove the fuel per lap information, you don't need it because you are able to fill it up to the limit.
If we stay by analog tacho it should be colored ,because the main problem is more the entry speed in race conditions ,than the pit speed himself.
Erm... If you(singular, referring to Ger Roady) can't see the tacho I suggest you(singular, referring to Ger Roady) go see an optician. Or are you(singular, referring to Ger Roady) referring to the speedo?

How much does your(singular, referring to Ger Roady) gearing differ between different sets for one track?

Come on! You(singular, referring to Ger Roady) can't be that lazy. You(plural) have to drive through the pits several times if you(plural) are making tweaks to your(plural) tyre pressure/camber/aero/ARB/brakes.

I know you(plural, this plural/singular thing is getting to be a pain in the keyboard) can do all this in the pit screen but it's a pain to warm up the tyres again and again. See how lazy I am? Still I can manage to drive through the pits once to determine a safe pit RPM.

Attached images
speedo.JPG
Quote from Ger Roady :

Just drive with the needle a little lower than the 80 (assuming kmh) or between the 40 and the 60 (if mph).

Your speedo looks fine, and more than good enough to avoid pitlane speeding.
#66 - JTbo
Quote from tristancliffe :Just drive with the needle a little lower than the 80 (assuming kmh) or between the 40 and the 60 (if mph).

Your speedo looks fine, and more than good enough to avoid pitlane speeding.

It is kph, 100 is easy to see, one before that is 80 and keeping needle under that is indeed what is needed.

If digital speedo would be in size and looks what aftermarket units are, then I would have not problem, but as it was huge as after Christmas sale ads, that was not really realistic. I think same applies to race cars now too, it is tad big in size.

IRL Renault Megane series had similar size gear indicator and I believe some WRC car had similar gear indicator, but speedo is rather impossible to see from videos.

Some that make kit cars are putting bicycle computer units in them to be used as speedo, again this size would be realistic.
I know how you all feel, coming out of a corner with wheelspin (I generally measure speed in and out of corners to optimize lap times) is an annoying problem and hopfully will be fixed in future patches (no more exit wheelspin yay!) WE CAN HOPE!
Quote from raif995 :I know how you all feel, coming out of a corner with wheelspin (I generally measure speed in and out of corners to optimize lap times) is an annoying problem and hopfully will be fixed in future patches (no more exit wheelspin yay!) WE CAN HOPE!

You bumped a year-old thread suggesting that there'll be no more exit wheelspin in future patches?
Did you know that the only way to prevent exit wheelspin is, and that's a ROUGH GUESS, get better on the throttle control ??
First post and flamed... lol

At least he/she used the "search" button. There are other techniques for exit wheelspin and it's called Traction Control. Many cars (include top level racing machines) use a form of Traction Control and not just driver throttle control.
#70 - senn
i believe what raif was getting at is that the speedo reading the speed from the drivewheels was annoying (ie wheelspin makes speed displayed inaccurate from the actual speed of the car) However being as that is how the speedo now works in LFS, as opposed to the original way of just measuring the cars overall speed in space, i doubt that it will ever be reverted, altho an option for such a setting would be cool, but again, i doubt that will happen either
#71 - ssm
I wear a speedo.

Edit: nevermind...
Hyundia Elentra (2003) [FWD], when tires front tyres slip on the snow that is outside, the Speedo increases as it would if the vehicle was also increasing speed. So it's either taken from the front wheels or the drive train.
In real life, if your wheels were spinning, should one really be looking at their speedometer?
#74 - senn
its hard no to notice when its swinging past 160kmh and you know you're not going anywhere near that fast
irl the speedo is connected to the front tyres. i have noticed that in several fwd cars i drove. locking brakes dropped the speedo down to zero, spinning wheels (in 1st gear on snow or ice) lets it jump up.

thats why i always was wondering why the RWD cars in LFS the speedo seems to work different, when revving up and letting the rear tyres slip, the speedo goes up, when using the e-brake, the speedo goes down.

maybe someone of the devs can explain how the speedo works in LFS.

Spinoff : Speedo discussions
(85 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG