The online racing simulator
#1 - axus
LFS "Showcase" at South-African computer expo
Today, I went to a South African computer expo, called rAge (just like the netKar people, they don't know where capitals go). My main reason for attending was that I could try the Logitech G25 hands-on, albiet with GTR2.

Before we got to the stand showing this, we were surprised to see the Intel Racing Tour guys at the expo with four seats. Our (Charles "T7R|Exodus" McKowen, his brother, and myself) intial reaction was "WOW, its LFS!". Then we saw that the BF1 was being driven at Kyoto Oval, and slightly disappointed, we lined up to give it a go. Things got worse by the second though. Chase view was being used. The "cockpits" were dreadful and nothing like those Formula 1 cockpits used in the civilized parts of the world... that wasn't really the biggest problem though. The wheels being used were dreadful. They had no force feedback. They had about half a second of steering lag. The wheel would jolt about left and right 20 degrees from the input position (not exaggerating - there's a video in the rar file attached). This made LFS virtually undrivable. And the worst is yet to come: when we asked the guys displaying it about the horrible wheel jolting they said "this is because of the game"! They were completely clueless about LFS - they didn't know how to get into in-car view or how to give us manual transmission. They had useless stuff on the screen like FPS, pedals, connections list and so on.

My point with this rant is a message to the devs: please contact intel and ask them to use knowledgable personnel for the job next time - I'm sure there were many members of the SA community that would be more than willing to help for free. We would get proper wheels there (we'd use our own if we had to). We would set up an appropriate custom view and so on. Surely someone from intel should have posted on here and asked for people willing to do this (for every country they are doing it in), or they should have gotten in touch with the devs asking them if they knew someone worthy for the job. Anything but this!

I guess I'm a bit more angered by this than I should be because of the small LFS community in South Africa - an event like this would have been a great opportunity to show LFS off properly and intel would have benefited more from this also but they just didn't organise it properly.
Attached files
Rage.rar - 1.2 MB - 192 views
I suppose it's good that LFS was being shown but it's bad that they weren't using top notch equipment. It gives LFS a bad look and we don't want that.
#3 - SamH
Wow! What a disappointment that must have been! Do you feel the display did LFS a disservice, or do you think that the fact that it's exposure at all would outweigh the disappointing setup?
#4 - axus
It wasn't just the lack of top notch equipment - there was nothing good shown about LFS in the whole thing. There was nothing there to make me even like the sim I now love if I was trying it for the first time.

EDIT: I honestly think it was a huge disservice to LFS.
In the video they have cockpit views... so you and your friend gave them a lesson about LFS?
#6 - axus
We did our best.
It was too busy to fix everything up though.

I think they were also running a low pps value because they had the cars jumping about on a LAN!
Quote from deggis :In the video they have cockpit views... so you and your friend gave them a lesson about LFS?

I would have if I was there.
Really it was a shocking display!!

Anton just ran to the machines and quickly played with the settings when they werent looking

Its sad to say it, but if i had never raced LFS or any sim before today and had tried it and GTR2 at the expo today....i would wait for the release of GTR2 and prob not think of LFS again.

We met up with someone who looked a very promising driver but has no internet at home, "Enjoys all racing games" he said and so showed his skills. We asked him what he thought and he said no the experience wasnt that good. But then we told him the good side of LFS, a quick breakdown of it all and he seemed more interested. Problem is there was no way we could do this for everyone at the show. Oh yes this is the guy in the video shaking his hand at the car loosing control because of the "LFS wheel shudders".

Those idiots running the stands really irritated me though with there "this is how LFS is and I will ignore what you say from now on" attitude illepall
Yeah , saw it too , was very disappointed . I understand that the people were not there to promote LFS , but surely if you going to display the power of your new Intel processor at least run the game you are displaying in all its glory . I also heard that it was even worse the day before because they ran LFS with onboard Gfx and it was stuttering etc . They not only did LFS a disservice but Intel too.
I feel your pain there. Computers are so simple nowadays yet people are still so clueless.
did you try Logitech G25
i have ordered the G25. would like to no if its as good as they say.
#12 - axus
Quote from speedykev :did you try Logitech G25
i have ordered the G25. would like to no if its as good as they say.

Certainly a very nice wheel, IMO.
You feel every single little subtle vibration through FF and its very nice to hold with the hand-stitched leather. The pedals are nice. The shifter's a bit small for my liking.
thx m8 i feel a bit better, for £200 i hope it makes me faster.
Quote from speedykev :for £200 i hope it makes me faster.

lol, doubt that
u still need skill to drive
£200 for a G25.
What's so special about it. It's just a wheel.
#16 - axus
Quote from nutty boy :£200 for a G25.
What's so special about it. It's just a wheel.

Lots of things are "very special" about it - go read the G25 thread in the racing wheels subforum.
Isn't this more of an Intel issue than LFS issue? You could simply send an email to Intel (or there somewhere) and tell them what's going on on their racing tour. After all, if the impression is negative, it's Intel that gets the bad reps, not LFS.

Still, a proper beating can do wonders at times

LFS devs can't really tell Intel how they (Intel) run their exhibitions
Quote from axus :Lots of things are "very special" about it - go read the G25 thread in the racing wheels subforum.

OK. Will do. I want to know whats so special about it.

Now they've got the G25 will prices for the DFP will go down.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG