The online racing simulator
#1 - Joris
Difference in mentality between demo and Licenced?
I'm currently a demo racer. I'm staring to get irritated by the general mentality of my fellow demo racers. (not all of them of course)
* Mass destruction in first corner
* Banning just because others accuse
* Calling for restarts when race is in progres

Is this just the demo-way? Does buying a licence ad some dignity to the racing?
Licensed is totally different 99.9% of the time.

Quote from Joris :Does buying a licence add some dignity to the racing?

"Some" is a gross understatement. Granted, it's still not CRC dreamland on licensed servers, but it's far better than the free-for-all that demo servers are. The £24 do wonders in filtering out jerks, also bans are actually working 100% on licensed servers, while on demo a simple IP change is enough to circumvent a ban.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#4 - Joris
But even democratic bans can be totally wrong. Cause a lot of racers just ban because someone accuses.

I got a ban yesterday for NOT participating in the traditional first corner clash and therefore benefitting from the misfortune.
Can't really speak for demo servers as I don't play them anymore...
But usually the demo server are crowed with lots of people who just started LFS and actually never played a sim. Thats what causes most of the crashes. Of course you also have some who wreck on purpose...

T1 crashes can happen everywhere, in real life as in any racing sim. The reason is simple, the whole grid is very close together and it takes lots of concentration, respect and coolness.
You can't win a race in the first corner, but you can loose it...
(I believe that it would be even better if some had the question in mind "what would happen when I was really sitting in that car")

Usually racing on S2 servers is really relaxed in a friendly atmosphere, and you have to behave more as you are identified by your license and not by username.

It's a lot nicer once you have a s2 license (no pressure )

The only help for the demo servers could be that you race on those servers with the people you already know a bit...
Quote from Joris :But even democratic bans can be totally wrong. Cause a lot of racers just ban because someone accuses.

I got a ban yesterday for NOT participating in the traditional first corner clash and therefore benefitting from the misfortune.

In S2 it's actually mostly the other way round. Bans are so seldomly here, that most people are very sceptic when they see a "X has voted to ban Y" on the screen, and actually want to know what happened first. This can be even a problem at times, because sometimes it needs multiple "ban-runs" to get a jerk off the server. But in general there is almost no need for banning at all.
-
You have a reputation to uphold. plus since all of the people in s2 have payed for it... they are less likely to be immature/wreckers .

Wreckers are quickly reported and banned if enough evidence is brought up...
I been on s2 for a week or 2 i think and its total clean and the response is every good and clean better then demo racers go for s2 if you have the money becuase its unbelivey clean and fun.
You can't really compare demo-servers and licensed-servers, there's normally a big differnce.

And if you got banned you can always create a "BANNED for NO reason!!!!!!!"-Thread in the forums.
Quote from MrSkill :And if you got banned you can always create a "BANNED for NO reason!!!!!!!"-Thread in the forums.

And then get banned on the forums because everyone is annoyed by it
i havent been to a usual demo server in a long time but yes generally s2 servers are a lot better ... in the demo you can get a glimpse of what s2 is like if you join an xrt server as those appear to attract a more mature crowd (ive got a suspicion that its mostly licensed drivers as its incredibly hard to find a tbo server in s2 ... let alone one that isnt dominated by fxo drivers)
The difference between demo and licened s2

In most server on demo( apart from a few good drivers) if you treat other drivers with respect you get crap in return
In the licenced version you will get setup's offers of help to improve you racing, some great new cars and tracks.

It really is night and day

John
Quote from Joris :

Firstly let me say BUY S2.

In s2 servers that are generally open to the public you will still get all three of those things happening. BUT, in s2, its more likely that there will be a server admin on there, more likely that you will play with more experienced and seasoned racers that know what should and shouldn't be done and when to vote restart etc...

There are those S2 drivers who will say they have never seen those things in an S2 server, and to that I say, great stuff.. Hope it continues that way, but I believe it to be stupid to believe that they all go away just because people have paid for more content.

Let we end with BUY S2.

*Puts on Flameproof Overalls*
#14 - PCCD
I've got a story of banning on a demo server.

I logged onto a server just as the race was restarting so quickly joined. I found myself at the back of the grid alongside someone who shall remain nameless but claimed to be part of the anti-wrecking group with his username proclaiming this fact.

So the race starts and I hang back slightly to avoid the usual carnage, not so the person alongside me, who promptly keeps his foot down and causes a five car pile-up. It is agreed to restart the race.

Same again, me at the back with the idiot.

Same thing happens again. Frustration builds amongst the other racers who are slightly pissed off that the there's been another huge pile-up. The culprit must be found and disposed of!

Up pipes the idiot, "it was XXXX" (name obscured by my own hand, in case I misname someone). "I saw him do it" "****ing n00b" ('scuse the language).

Here's the thing though, XXXX was in the thick of the pile up as two cars had been rammed into him which in turn caused him to T-Bone another car and so on.

I try and explain the events as I saw them happen, exactly as I typed them above, I even challenged this guy to back up his claims with proof from the replay.

Nothing doing, Idiot voted to ban XXXX (1 of 6)
Six votes later this completely innocent bloke is banned from the server.
Cue another restart (as you do)

We manage to make it through the first corner OK and the chicane and we're on the straight where I'm right behind this guy who in turn is closing in on the driver in front with me in the slipstream being dragged along. I switch to the topdown view to aid overtaking with causing carnage.

Idiot pulls out of the slipstream and begins to gain ground and come level with the car in front, I decide to wait until he's past and away before making my move. Until for no reason, idiot goes straight into the car alongside him, I couldn't believe what I just saw and yet there's no reaction whatso ever from the driver (no, I wasn't racing bots), idiot though shouted "TAKEDOWN!". I challenge him only to be met with an extremely cutting and witty retort: "****ing n00b".

Over the course of the race he does this to about 3 other people, all of whom react with a bit more activeness shall we say. Well pitting anyway.

At the end of the race I demand to know what this guy was playing at, someone else asks what I mean. Idiot responds by saying that I was trying to pin deliberate crashes caused by me on him. I'm quite rightly pissed off at this remark and demand he back this up with proof from the replay.

Cue this:

Idiot voted to ban PCCD (1 of 6)
"****ing wrecker"
XXX voted to an PCCD (2 of 6) This was the person who was first upended on the straight believe it or not.
"Ban the wrecker!"
Strangely the other folk that this person wrecked also voted to have me banned. My car's livery is damn different to his livery so this wasn't mistaken identity we're talking here.

In the end I got banned.

Wreckers and sheep, I hate them both
-
#15 - PCCD
Because it's a big long straight, I sometimes switch to TD when I've pulled out so I know where I am in relation to the other car. When I need to pull in again, I switch to in-car.

Actually quite useful, I use the rumblestrips down the left side to tell me when I've run out of road
Lol, I could not drive in TD even on a straight, much less next to someone without crashing them. Each to their own, I guess though.
Quote from Joris :I'm currently a demo racer. I'm staring to get irritated by the general mentality of my fellow demo racers. (not all of them of course)

Yes!

+ If you really like the Demo, you'll absolutely love S2

---------------------------------

Some months ago I ventured back into demoland... After four races on two servers I had had enough. There is so many guys with no etiquette and no skills - It was just carnage all the time...
The combined speed of a pack of race cars descending into T1 is around mach 2, accidents happen at this speed. (Ask Mr De Havilland about his son... ).

Restarting the race because you tried to maximise an advantaged in a do or die but you died, that sucks, and it does still happen in S2. You should pay the price of your gread, i've lost count of the number of races i've led that have been restarted on lap 1-2.

Acussing the wrong person in an accident, or throwing a hissy fit before the dust has settled and without viewing the replay. This happens in S2 aswell, it also happens in real racing so I consider that realism!

All of the things mentioned in the first post do still happen in S2, but a lot less often.
Quote from Joris :I'm currently a demo racer. I'm staring to get irritated by the general mentality of my fellow demo racers. (not all of them of course)

You are missing out on alot of fun. All the cars, the tracks and the people.
Not to mention all the stuff on LFSW. Hotlaps, PBs and much more.

Alot of Demo racers mostly just want to mess up for other players.
As someone allready said, on S2, we have a rep to take care of....
This has quite not much to do with the question, but I think it's a nice quote:

Quote :
Victor
- There is much to be learned about racing itself, but setting up
a car is just as important. It is therefore advised to learn about these
aspects if you want to take racing seriously.

I think that if you read the interview with the developers on www.liveforspeed.no/index.php?side=intervju I will mostly guarantee that you will not think twice on purchasing a S2 license after reading this..
I've allready heard about a few who went from Demo to S2 after reading this.
I have an idea, why not drive demo with a few S2 drivers, so to create a clean racing enviroment and promote S2 a bit more... We could be online say every friday for a few hours on a certain server. Or maybe in general S2 racers could join demo server once a while to tell people where to get setups, how to drive.. etc etc To just show demo racers the nice lfs community

What I dont understand (well i do, people want stuff for free) is that there are almost always more demo drivers then s2 drivers... if this would change it would be great for the versitility of s2 combo's being run and it would allow for more leagues to flourish.. illepall

Well to any demo racer that is even a bit serious about racing, only thing I can say is spend that money and get going with the fun!!
Quote from auch_enne :I have an idea, why not drive demo with a few S2 drivers, so to create a clean racing enviroment and promote S2 a bit more... We could be online say every friday for a few hours on a certain server. Or maybe in general S2 racers could join demo server once a while to tell people where to get setups, how to drive.. etc etc To just show demo racers the nice lfs community

What I dont understand (well i do, people want stuff for free) is that there are almost always more demo drivers then s2 drivers... if this would change it would be great for the versitility of s2 combo's being run and it would allow for more leagues to flourish.. illepall

Well to any demo racer that is even a bit serious about racing, only thing I can say is spend that money and get going with the fun!!

I've thought about that idea.. Going to Demo servers ones in a while
and try to help newbies out...
When it comes to the Demo racers, I held the interview with the developers to get to know a lill more about how they spend theyr time and what we can expect in the future.
Demo players are missing out on alot of cool stuff and if they just get to know HOW MUCH they are missing out on, I would think alot more will go over to S2.... I also belive that most demo racers are players who are in the ages 13 to 17. Probably players who doenst have a credit card to purchase the S2 license. I am not saying this for a fact. I am just saying, out of long time experience with demo/license online games, that alot of the Demo racers are between 13 and 17..

I have to agree with you, auch_enne. Going on every friday or so, if anyone would do that, I think alot of demo racers would like to talk to S2 drivers and look at how S2 drivers race...
yeah,

i want to buy s2 too but i am undecided.i race on demo for hours and having a great fun until idi team enters server.after they enter server they crash all cars or they ban all clean racers.first of all is there idi team on s2 ?
Quote from auch_enne :I have an idea, why not drive demo with a few S2 drivers, so to create a clean racing enviroment and promote S2 a bit more... We could be online say every friday for a few hours on a certain server. Or maybe in general S2 racers could join demo server once a while to tell people where to get setups, how to drive.. etc etc To just show demo racers the nice lfs community

I do, and as recently as few hours ago I was quite successful at helping out a newbie. He seemed quite intent on getting a license, not bad, considering he'd only discovered LFS about half an hour before!
Quote from TyresHot :yeah,

i want to buy s2 too but i am undecided.i race on demo for hours and having a great fun until idi team enters server.after they enter server they crash all cars or they ban all clean racers.first of all is there idi team on s2 ?

There aren't any teams going around crashing other players for fun. If you crash on S2, it's either the NASCAR way or your just slipped up.
Most racers on S2 takes it seriouse enough to not fool around...
They rather have some fun after the race is done and bumping each other... hehe....

I was Demo racer for a few days and I got to say that am REALLY glad I purchased an S2 license... Players are much nicer and helpfull on the S2...
I will guarantee you that you will be racing even more on S2 then you are on Demo...
Quote from TyresHot :yeah,

No, because
  1. They're jerks/idiots/****s/etc.
  2. £24 does a good job of keeping such people away from S2
  3. Any iDi members found on S2 would be banned really quick, or even get their license removed, because of their awful demo behaviour

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG