The online racing simulator
Should i pit in this situation?
(27 posts, started )
Should i pit in this situation?
Ok so im racing an MRT at SO3 and i crash at the fast sweeper (see video) on lap one spinning me into the racing line. The car behind me hits me pushing me into the middle of the track and he continues fine. I see a lot of cars in my mirror so i try to accelerate out the way only to find someone pulling out behind another car to pass and he crashes into me. Again this racer continues fine without losing a place but then stops around the corner to hurl abuse at me saying i should have pitted and not to sit in the middle of the road.

From my point of view i wasnt out of the race. My car was fine until the second hit. In fact IMO shift-s should never be used clear the track as accidents are part of racing. Any thoughts to save my bacon for future incidents?

http://sil3ntwar.com/racing-incident2.avi (321kb)
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#2 - Gunn
You did nothing wrong, and surely they all got a yellow flag?
#3 - dev
I would actualy very much like to see shift + s removed from the game It's not like you can teleport to the pit in a real race
Quote from Gunn :You did nothing wrong, and surely they all got a yellow flag?

Flag system isn't spot on just yet, many times you get the flag when you already passed the standing car.
Quote from Blackout :Flag system isn't spot on just yet, many times you get the flag when you already passed the standing car.

The second car that hit me got the flag on the corner exit but flags wouldnt have really helped in this situation.
#6 - Gunn
Quote from Blackout :Flag system isn't spot on just yet, many times you get the flag when you already passed the standing car.

A replay might show it better. But if it was a yellow flag situation then all cars should have backed off a bit and been cautious, not whizzed on by at full pelt.
sil3ntwar had got his car going again and was pointing the right way, he was not directly on the racing line but moved away from it rather than rejoin the train. He could have turned with a bit less verve, but he wasn't at fault for being hit by the other car. I doubt that the other car would be penalised either, it all happened so fast. Anyhow, shift+s: out of the question in a race.
#8 - Gunn
Yellow flag conditions, according to the replay.
From what I've seen on public servers, people just don't slow down for yellow flags. If I see one I normally don't slow down much, but I look at the map and keep a lookout, and drive around the crashed car. I don't remember ever hitting anyone. If I did slow down, everyone would just sail past me, at least on open servers. Of course it's not right, and I'm not saying it is, but if there was the risk of a penalty - or death - as in real life, then people would.

If I were you I would have pitted straight away. It's a six lap race, it's not a big thing - get over it and wait six minutes for the next one, or re-join and practice for a few laps. If it was a longer race then obviously it's a different thing - I would have stayed where I was, let everyone go by, and then carried on. If there was enough of a gap then I probably would have quickly moved to the side.
I try to avoid shift+s as much as possible, except if I join in mid-race and spin in front of the leaders or something like that.

That second crash was just unlucky, you thought wisely and tried to give room but the guy who hit you tried to go around you in the same direction. A racing incident, nobodys fault imo.
I just wanted to point out that better flag system would prevent some crashes, not maybe here because all that was so fast. But sometimes you notice a car standing in bad place and get a very late yellow flag, sometimes it doesn't work as it should. Im more cautious when I see a yellow, but sometimes you just pass the situation almost not realising it.
Quote from Blackout :I just wanted to point out that better flag system would prevent some crashes...

A bit offtopic, but also different levels of yellow flags would be nice, like if the car in question is on the track (opposed to being out on the grass) the "yellow flag" text would flash orange, and flash even more rapidly if there are multiple cars there. Right now it is impossible to know how "severe" the yellow flag condition is, while I believe at least in F1 they seem to use more flags and wave them more aggressively if there is a bad accident.
The other driver overtook under yellow flag and should have his licensed stamped for a dangerous act, the crash was his fault.

But...

You shouldn't have moved.
I didn't watch it, but I can figure out what happened from the everyone's responses.

If it were me as the 2nd car that hit sil3ntwar, I would have said "sorry" rather than pull over to verbally abuse him. I have had many folks spin out up ahead of me and ended up getting caught up in it because I didn't avoid them like I tried. I've had many of the folks who spun say "sorry" where I say, "not your fault I hit you, sorry!" No one is perfect and people are going to spin out. It is up to you as a driver to avoid those who spin out. It would be boring if everyone drove perfect laps as there would be NO action on the track.

You definitely should NOT have shift-S pitted.
-
anyway, overtaking under a yellow flag should cause a drive through. So such accidents wouldn't happen ... and everyone could slow down a bit in this sector.
Quote from RSchumacher :anyway, overtaking under a yellow flag should cause a drive through. So such accidents wouldn't happen ... and everyone could slow down a bit in this sector.

That could be hard to make. It could be hard for the computer know who is involved in the accident and who is racing and who he/she should not overtake.
Why is everybody saying the second car was overtaking. He just pulled along side. Might be because the car in front was sloeing down and he was avoiding him (I did not watch the mpr)
Quote from PLAYLIFE :...He just pulled along side...
... (I did not watch the mpr)...

How do you know that then?
Yellow flags can be quite vague in LFS at times. Since everyone can judge () imho
a) silentwar should have not moved
b) the other guy(s) should have slowed down

But, the two oncoming players had a little fight over position going on and that probably had an influence on their behaviour resulting that neither slowed down. And by looking at the player's move (who actually did hit silentwar) he first steered left and then to right to avoid contact into silentwar. These steering moves can be also caused by lag. However even if silentwar had not moved there would have been contact so silentwar is not to blame here.

The colliding players should have slowed down just a bit so he would have had more time and space to avoid the "wreck"
Quote from PLAYLIFE :Why is everybody saying the second car was overtaking. He just pulled along side. Might be because the car in front was sloeing down and he was avoiding him (I did not watch the mpr)

I agree, I only watched the little vid clip, but I saw the guy moving over as if attempting to avoid either the car slowing in front or sil3ntwar.

I wouldn't fault sil3ntwar for moving. It didn't look to me like he was trying to rejoin the race, just moving out of the way as he was off but very close to the racing line.
Agree, I would've moved too, although it could be a bad thing to do (like in this topic)
Silentwar did nothing wrong, after he is spun by the guy directly after the initial slide he is left on the racing line, the next car leave a visable trail of his braking to avoid the stricken silentwar. Silentwar does the decent thing and move directly off the racing line. However he is tagged by someone who could have been overtaking or could simply have been looking to go down the other side of silentwars car (but I can only assume he'd do this to arrive at the apex quicker with the intention to pass). If it had been me I'd have moved aswell. Definately no need for a direct to pits.
It never occurs to me to quickly shift-s if I crash, nor do I expect anyone else to do it. If you try to get out of the way, and someone hits you because you moved, it's your fault. If you had stayed put, the second guy would have gone around you- it's much easier to avoid a stationary obstacle.

Not always easy to work out what's going on or what others are doing, though, especially after you've been spun around a few times.
I pretty much only shift-s if my vehicle is destroyed. I've never spun out before ( ), but if I did I imagine I would just hold still until any traffic has passed and I know I can get back up to speed or at least out of the way before anyone else comes -- unless I spun out right by the edge of the grass, facing the grass; then I would probably get off the track until it's safe. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against shift-s. I can't help but smile when I get on the podium simply by being one of the few that made it an entire race without crashing out and hitting shift-s. I'm not really that fast hehe
-
Quote from dev :I would actualy very much like to see shift + s removed from the game It's not like you can teleport to the pit in a real race

You should be able to disable shift+s on a server if you want that.
Very good to have when you are tuning your car in practice session.

/mike

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG