The online racing simulator
Doubts put to rest.
(37 posts, started )
#26 - th84
Quote from thisnameistaken :See, I'm like th84 (except way, way less annoying, and better looking, and I'm not stoned all the time like he is),

I didnt think I was all that annoying. Better looking? LMAO, Im one sexy hunk of man.. just ask tukko . I cant really argue with point #3

No matter how fast you are you can always find racer's with similar skills as you. If not, you can alway's join a [noobs] server, surely there will be a few you can easily beat, and we wont tell you to sod off either (whatever that mean's)!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#27 - th84
Ive been real busy with my new job. Not much time for racing lately, and it's similar thing's for alot of other noobs! Well be back with a vengance real soon!!

Ive been looking for that medallion for a while now, it's a shame you felt the need to steal it, but if that makes you feel better about losing... more power to ya!!!! :P
Quote from th84 :Better looking? LMAO, Im one sexy hunk of man.. just ask tukko .

Well, Tukko likes anything with two legs...
I guess I'm just discouraged because normally I'm a really fast learner and can pick up things relatively easily.

I'm not going to sit here and blame the tools for bad carpentry. I won't say I'd be better with a wheel instead of a gamepad or a mouse/keyboard because that's just making excuses. (For the record though, the gamepad I'm using--an Xbox360 wired controller--is a poor choice for this game as the range of motion is small and the left analog stick is really loose in the middle). My skills (or lack thereof) are the sole reason.

As for setups, I've tried the "Easy Race" setups provided on these forums but I actually find they're tougher to handle than the default settings. All the Easy Race settings I've tried so far are really tail-happy, and that only makes the cars that much harder for me to control. I'm not ready to mess with the settings myself, as I'm still trying to get a handle on the cars. (my best time thusfar is about 1:15 or so in an FXR on Blackwood Normal, which I thought was good until I saw how much faster everyone else is)

The only custom settings I have are super-soft suspension setups designed for stunt courses with lots of jumps (a soft suspension won't be damaged as easily under repeated hard landings, from what I've noticed). They all handle like mud, but they put durability over cornering.

Sorry for ranting (and for the threadjack). I'm pretty much your stereotypical American--if I don't see immediate or near-immediate success I start to get discouraged. Perhaps I'll stick around, but to anyone who's asked me to join a team or clan, I'm sorry but I must respectfully decline. I'm not ready for serious racing and would only be a detriment to your standings at my current skill level.
Quote from th84 :I didnt think I was all that annoying. Better looking? LMAO, Im one sexy hunk of man.. just ask tukko . I cant really argue with point #3

No matter how fast you are you can always find racer's with similar skills as you. If not, you can alway's join a [noobs] server, surely there will be a few you can easily beat, and we wont tell you to sod off either (whatever that mean's)!

Well you and Kev deserve a slap, I can't say much for TH84 because i've banned him everywhere () No seriously, I think both of you have got alot better than I can remember and I have had good races with you guys.

I honestly think you cnuts put yourseves down to much and instead of bowing down to the "fast" ones, make them chose a slower car or wreck him as he drives by....well the latter only applies to Kev, TH does it anyway

Or, whenever you guys race me in yours or a server we have some sort of car control in, you could demote me to a slower car and laugh at me because i'll be so slow, then you will feel better!

But IMO you guys are good for ones that you don't see online alot, and i've seen waaaaaay worse, alot of them on the Cops and Robbers server, :P
Quote from Rebeldevil :I'm not going to sit here and blame the tools for bad carpentry. I won't say I'd be better with a wheel instead of a gamepad or a mouse/keyboard because that's just making excuses. (For the record though, the gamepad I'm using--an Xbox360 wired controller--is a poor choice for this game as the range of motion is small and the left analog stick is really loose in the middle). My skills (or lack thereof) are the sole reason.

I'd say one thing to you. Get rid of that gamepad. I'm 100% sure that it is holding you back. A mouse and keyboard will improve your laptimes, trust me

Have you searched for mouse&keyboard settings for the cars? I think the easy ride setups are made to be driven with wheel, and don't match very well with digital inputs
I haven't looked for kb/mouse settings because when I've tried to use the mouse/keyboard, stabbing the throttle would cause either snap oversteer (in the RWD cars) or relentless understeer (in the FWD and AWD cars), and stabbing the brakes usually caused the wheels to lock up. I had to turn the brake force WAY down to keep the wheels from locking, and then found I had to brake MUCH earlier. Unfortunately a keyboard is full on or full off. IOW, I've tried it and don't like it. (then again, it's more likely my lack of skill to blame than the control setup)

I'd love to have a wheel, but it just isn't in my budget. (and those crappy $40 wheels...those things aren't any better than my gamepad)
#33 - th84
Quote from Bawbag :Well you and Kev deserve a slap, I can't say much for TH84 because i've banned him everywhere....

I honestly think you cnuts put yourseves down to much and instead of bowing down to the "fast" ones, make them chose a slower car or wreck him as he drives by....well the latter only applies to Kev, TH does it anyway

LOL, I only wreck certain people

I dont think we are putting ourselve's down, but we know we arent as fast as some of the alien's running around here (you being one of them).

It took a while for me before I realised this, and know I have more fun then ever playing LFS! It's always a nice challenge trying to keep up with the fast guy's, but I always end up crashing out trying to push to hard and turn to plan B...spamming the chat box till the fast guys wreck too!!

I have noticed that im alot faster when Im sober.... beware of the day I stop smoking wacky backy!!

:banana_ra

/ban barfbag 9999999999999
Aah, so you will never be fast.
Quote from Rebeldevil :I'd love to have a wheel, but it just isn't in my budget. (and those crappy $40 wheels...those things aren't any better than my gamepad)

A wheel is never out of anyone's budget. You just need to look around and find a deal. A friend of mine found a Logitech Wingman wheel on eBay for $5. FIVE DOLLARS! It works fine and he's been using it quite successfully for going on a year now. The new G25 wheel comes out next month. Once that happens you can count on a ton of Driving Force Pros going up for sale.
It's like this. I'm addicted to LFS even though I'm not good at it. I say that, but I find myself with not bad times. I'm in the US and noone hardly races that I know. It seems that there are a few folks a second or so faster than me, and everyone else is 5 seconds slower.

At work I work in the R&D department. Two of us run all the equipment in the plant to run trials. Normally, there is folks extruding plastic and that is all they know. The guys expanding the plastic pellets only do that. The ones molding only mold, etc. Well, the two of us do it all, 5 pieces of equipment for each various stage of the product. My partner came from the molding department, so he is the "expert" in molding plastic foam. I never molded before. So, I came from the expansion area, which is sitting in front of a computer all day in the air conditioning (it's about 110 degrees F in the plant with 96-98% humidity, yea, lousy). Well, to further my knowledge, I now took over all the molding for trials and it is kicking my arse! The heat is killing me and the standing in one spot on concrete with steeltoe boots on is agony.

After 10-12 hours of this, I am beat when I get home that I can't even concentrate to race. That is the main reason I'm not on very often. I try, but I usually log back off in short time.

I also just picked up an RC airplane and have been playing with that with the kids. So, instead of visiting this forum as often as I use to, I now spend all my "forum time" on the RC forum. I don't know why, but I'm as addicted to forums as I was racing LFS.

It use to be I would swap back and forth every few months racing LFS and flying FS9 at wspilots.com. But I don't fly anymore either. It's such a simple easy pasttime compared to the concentration of racing, But I'm too tired for that even. I still usually try to get on and race on the weekend evenings though, but racing is really slim pickings in the US as it always has been. I really don't like any of the cars other than the FZR. And I hate the "all car" servers as there is always some idiot who joins in when everyone is running the GTR's and heads out in the BF1. Funny, everyone thinks it's the fastest car, but I've yet to see anyone in the BF1 beat a GTR, little GTR, FOX, LFR, TBO, or GTi/GT. LOL, you get the point? They just blast past, then get in the way the next corner as they try to recover from their crash just to blast past and crash the corner after that.

I'm beat. I have to go to bed. Maybe I'll see ya in the servers, but probably not until this weekend.
I am posting from school right now.

I might download LFS too....

Doubts put to rest.
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG