The online racing simulator
Doubts put to rest.
(37 posts, started )
Doubts put to rest.
Hey guys, during recent weeks I'd found myself falling out of love with this simulator, I felt that general attiude of racers online in both the racing world and on here was declining. Having had to work full time before University I just didn't have the motivation to come home and get myself on LFS.

Now I hate clogging up the forum with this type of "I'm back" rubbish, as those of you who know me I feel quite strongly about forum ettiquette, but bear with me.

Having purchased myself a laptop, I decided to see whether I could get LFS running. After inital frustration with my wheel, forgetting to install the correct software, I found myself logging into my first public server in what felt like a lifetime.

Although I didn't really race at my usual standard, I felt myself getting the bug back, enough so to come on here a read the forums properly again. I can quite honestly say that this is a testiment the quality of both the game and the community. As some of you may know, I'm not a person that does things by half, so to really feel like getting back into the community as soon as I have had some spare time again really says a lot.

So I'd like to say hello to everyone I haven't spoken to in the time I've been away. I'll be actively helping a few projects again, and knocking around with my vMaxSR racing tag. It is dependent on having broadband acess at Uni, but lets face it, what halls haven't these days.

In order for this thread to be constructive and not a waste of bandwith, I'd like to hear any of your stories of life without LFS and how you came back.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
The setup is side of the game is something I wish I could delve into too. With limited technical knowledge though it is very difficult. I think the whole issue on people falling in and out of love with this type of game is purely down to the amount of time it often takes to be competitive. Also in order to play it properly in my case it means setting up my wheel, which I can't always be "arsed" to do.

Anyway, Roll on the good times!
lately i just havent been on lfs much. lots of arguments at home, getting chucked out of the house, coming back, starting A levels and so on. then the fact that i just dont seem to have the energy to actually concentrate on the track. i dont think ill pla that much till my oval league starts. (see sig) then i might get back into it. this forum still makes me laugh though. but iv also losing interest in other things to do with lfs such as skins, teams, websites and so on.
-
#4 - axus
I have been neglecting my addiction to LFS for a good while now. I'd say since the April update actually - I had exams at the time of the update and I was completely destroyed by the time I had a holiday in July... and I still neglected LFS at that time, having gotten a job. Then it was back to school with the added stress from work and more exams around the corner. Whenever I fire LFS up now, I'm desperately slow - I haven't had time to get used to the game since the patch, I've probably driven all of 300km online since then. I'd love to get back into it but I just don't see myself having the time for another two months.
Quote from thisnameistaken :That sounds harsh mate. I used to get that a lot when I was your age, it was no fun at all. Hope you've got a few good mates to rely on.

naa its all good now. i think my dad just didnt like the idea that im not just going to do everything he wants. its probably the first time someones actually stood up and not backed down. but for some reason he wasnt mad at me when we seen each other again. mibi he respects me more for sticking up for myself. godknows.
Chris did you fix the pedal axis then?
Yes thanks for your help. I hadn't installed the logitech profiler. If it hadn't been for you I wouldn't have remembered.
#8 - Jakg
haven't been on LFS for about 2 weeks, too much coursework and the like, although this should change this weekend
I had a break too. I just couldn't find anything interesting so i stopped racing and started again today, i find that even going around SOsprint 1 alone in a FOX is fun, especially when i press shift F.
wb Chris.

LFS 4 eva :lovies:
Quote from Chris_Kerry :I think the whole issue on people falling in and out of love with this type of game is purely down to the amount of time it often takes to be competitive.

I totally agree with this. Hopefully we'll get "locked setups" eventually which will allow for pick-up races that are much closer and more contested, as well as lite-leagues for those of us who want to race on the weekends, but who don't have time to practice, make setup changes, qualify, etc. throughout the week.
-
THis is how it went for me:

-Demo came out, played that for years
-S1 got released, i didnt have any payment methods so it died off
-As S2 came otu i tried the S2 deno and enjoyed it so used my dads card to buy it
-Played a shed load
-Im dying off a bit now do to work and uni, but im still about.
s1 demo ... >>>. Buy S1
s2 demo ... >>>> S1 on S2 >>>> S2 on S2 (yay)

How I almost gave it up!
Well, A while back, I was playing alot of online games (still are) but LFS was my favirote. Since S2 went "global" - Where I mean lots of people who dont do the forums, dont support LFS in anyway kind of thing, came along. These people have brought new people, but these new people arn't "racers". They think this simulation is simply a game , such a GT4, or NFS:MW. (ignore my avatar at this point ) You can tell as they ask , in seriousness "Whens NoS coming" or "I want my dads diesel massey furgeson in this game" ... Im like WTF, and these people think <Blue Flag> Means Block whoever is trying to pass, and that <1st Corner> is meant to kamikaze through the field of 20 from 17 on the grid. This really pi*sed me off, and having just spent £40 (not much) on a new DFP, I allmost sold my account to a mate. I didnt though, because tbh I couldnt be bothered. I didnt touch LFS for maybe, 2 months from December thru Feb / Around that / cant exactly remeber ...

Then came the "CnR Sydrome" - Which fun occasionaly, has split the communtity. Many players think they are cops, so ram you then go to race and continue to ram in a race so I nearly quit
Here I am, still here, supporting the best racing sim
(nice essay, I know, Im sorry :S )
I'm the same and still kindov am as most of the above, got bored of the game and wanted to find some new challenge but I didn't have the urge to go on LFS and look for it.

So I bought RBR and played that for a few days, went back online and had some great races with the XRT at Fe Gold Rev and as it was some German EPS cup thing alot of people had been practicing and there was alot of fast guys there, really gave me the incentive to get fast at a car i've allways neglected. So after ages of driving with some top guys I was fast enought to race them and had some of the best side by side racing ever, me and Kraniwani for about 5 corners in the middle of sector 1 to half of sector 2 were side by side the whole way and not giving and inch at either side.

This was something that rarely happens online in LFS when its just a public server and it really brought me back to LFS. I stopped hotlapping though, I was bored of hotlapping so i've only been doing so for league races. And theres no point as I like to race online more than HL so i'll let Biggie and Flotch keep the LFS version of sadness rating by not actually playing the game online.

I think i'm back now and I have found another car which is actually real fun to drive, the FZ5, great car once you get used to it, maybe the devs could have themed weeks, like RWD week or whatever. Also the F08....damn can you see where i'm going.

Basicly i've missed out in some great cars in LFS and driving hard combos is with faster people is where the fun lies for me, which is why driving the FZ5 against hungry LX6's is soooo fun.

I also had some fun racing with Kev to, that was FWD though so Kev was the funny bit eh?

Glad to see that i'm not the only one who's been having off's with LFS, i've barely been on LFS a year, I struggle to think about how some people stick around from the start! Well done them anyway!
I have passing infatutations with other games but always come back to LFS in the end.
I'm in a bit of sim-racing hole in general. Haven't hit LFS for a while, only playing GPL once a fortnight due to league commitments, nK's sitting there getting all mouldy. I love all these sims but I just can't be arsed! I have this feeling that when I do get back online with LFS I'll see the same combos and get thoroughly frustrated and want to kill idiots (similar problems described by S14^) and not play for months again...sometimes I wish LFS had a GTA component where you could haul people out of their cars and go them with a baseball bat in pit lane *bash bash bash bash bash*

I haven't been on much since the wrecker barricade was implemented, but I've heard it's having some effect. Is that true?

Short pickup races tend to wear on me after a while too. I'll finally see a combo I like and hop in, but after 10 or so 5-lappers you just get so over it, especially if you've only had two decent scraps in all that time. It's kinda worse with 10-lappers - it's sometimes amazing how many people can't go 10 laps without an incident, or just pit as soon as they hit the grass and don't try and catch up again. I guess I'm used to GPL league racing - regular crew I know and trust, teams, time to learn tracks and tweak setups, regular start times, decent length races, so maybe that's the answer.
-
Quote from thisnameistaken :Quick plug: I've been on the Dead Men Racing server all week and it's been great fun. Different cars each night doing ten lappers around AS North Rev. with a compulsory stop. I don't think we've had more than ten cars in the field though, it'd be great to double it.

I like the Dead Men Racing server as well, though I don't visit that often. But they are fair drivers all . And they are usualy driving combos that I wouldn't try otherwise.

Still, sometimes when I look at the server list and see the normal FOX and GTR servers... I just feel a bit sad. But there are hiden gems, like today I was browsing through the server list trying to find something interesting, and it looked the same. But then I noticed a WE1R server with the LRF class cars. Almost full server! I just couldn't believe my eyes and joined immediatelly. It was just great racing. Though Bawbag wrecked me purposefuly () in one race, it was still fun. Almost managed to win one race in my RA, but after few laps I made some mistakes before the main straight and the FZ50 draft train just zoomed by. From 1st to 4th in 0.5 seconds
-
i've left LFS (at the moment) for a few reasons.
1: i can't practise. i don't have time during the weeks, so i only ever had time to race during the weekend. and i'm always scared that my momo black pedals will break again, so i try not to use them...
2: flight simulator X is coming soon my first love, looking better than ever

i might be back, who knows. may depend on how quickly i get bored of FSX
Quote from Hyperactive :But then I noticed a WE1R server with the LRF class cars. Almost full server! I just couldn't believe my eyes and joined immediatelly. It was just great racing.

Its the combo for the next OLFSL race next Sunday, so there will probably at least one server with this combo the whole week.
Only time ive had to stop playing is for about 3 weeks because of alot of university work and i think i will have periods of inactiveness in the coming year as im in my final year of university. Compared to some people ive not had lfs that long so im always finding new car/combos i like so still not bored.
Quote from Hyperactive :Though Bawbag wrecked me purposefuly () in one race, it was still fun. Almost managed to win one race in my RA, but after few laps I made some mistakes before the main straight and the FZ50 draft train just zoomed by. From 1st to 4th in 0.5 seconds

Although i really can't remember what I done to wreck you, but i'm sure i can remember saying sorry, I will never forget a train of 3 FZ5's drafting past you at once, it was a great setup tbh, The top 2 (Willi and the rolling roadblock Hyperactive in his RAC) had got away and after me and another FZ got through the traffic (I think it was Noghost) I was catching the 2 upfront and NG was catching me, then on the 2nd last bend I cought Willi who was close behind Hyper and NG had cought me, lol then the NOS kicked in and we all flew past, I have to have a look at the replay from Hypers point of view actually.

This is another thing that's happend that made me enjoy LFS more, hopefully it stays like this, but it's definetely great fun flying past a LX6 on the straight and then holding him up untill the next straight.
When I first got LFS I played quite a bit. Then when I realized I wasn't getting any better I sorta got fed up and stopped racing for a while. Then my hard drive fragged itself and I had to reformat--I didn't even bother re-downloading LFS until recently, so I've been out of the loop for several months. I only just in the last few weeks started becoming active again, but once more I find myself getting frustrated. I just keep driving and keep practicing hoping to get better and I'm not. I still stink--I can't handle ANY of the RWD cars in the game for one reason or another. Despite the overall friendliness of the drivers in this community I do seem to get a disproportionate number of people saying "YOU SUCK GET LOST" or some derivation thereof. I'm thinking about hanging it up again--this time quite possibly for good. It's just beyond my ability, I think.
#24 - th84
Dont give up so fast! 574 miles isnt enough to call it "beyond your ability". Get online and join a good server for fun if nothing else!

I gave up on being fast long ago. 40,000+ miles and I still suck big time. But it's alway's fun!

I have taken some time off from LFS lately also, but not by my own choice, just been to busy.

Welcome back C.K.!!
I have 5000miles, but I haven't been playing LFS much due to school work, i got pretty bad grades last year. And, my parents made me take my DFP off my desk.
-

Doubts put to rest.
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG