The online racing simulator
*IMPORTANT* OLFSLtv Announcement
In our continuing strive to improve the quality of out OLFSLtv coverage, from this weekend we will be trialing a new codec for broadcasting on the stream.

The codec is called x264 and requires a little bit of manual work to get it setup correctly. After showing the improved stream to a number of people over the past few days, the reaction has been a very large thumbs up, it still might not be DVD quality but it is a significant improvement over our old streaming system.

I will be posting a how-to guide later this week describing how-to install the codec and configure the necessary tools. I had one drawn up but later encountered other problems due to a step i had taken in the guide.

The nature of codecs mean that I want to be VERY careful what I'm advising you to do, but as far as im aware the only problem you can get if you do a step wrong is your movies will not play. Again though this can be easily rectified.

More asap
Nice to hear that quality is going up

(I have tried streaming also...and reason why we stop that plan was amazingly poor quality :shrug
Fair imrovement
Yes thanks Fireballs, the new codec certainly seemed good to me, I recommend all OLFSLtv viewers upgrade when the details are released.
well i'm currently in college at the moment being told that all i know about xp is lies o_0
Sounds exciting! Getting almost proffesional now...
As far as I know, x264 codec is used for HD videos, hence the file size of the videos coded with it.
How are you planning to broadcast it?
Doesn't the number of viewers decrease?
x264 allows much more accurate encoding meaning that you can decrease the streaming bitrate - our target bitrate is 200kbps, which is wildly variable in our current VP6 codec.

x264 is much more consistant and clearer in quality than vp6 at the same bitrate, remember as with all codecs, you can adjust the bitrate of that codec
Instructions!!!
x264 Installation Walkthrough

(The following workthrough assumes you have a basic knowledge of PC installation and configuration techniques, if in any doubt DO NOT continue, because neither myself or ANY of the OLFSL team are responsible for you not reading these instructions and then whining like little girls.)

Step 1.

Download the following file and install it.
http://mirror01.x264.nl/x264/f ... -gcc4.0.3-sse-x264.nl.exe

(x264 codec and FFDshow - required for the codec to run) - just follow the instructions and leave everything as it is for just now

Step 2.

Save this file and open it.
http://gbstv.info/dev/nsv_x264.zip

(You have to put the file "nsvdec_x264.dll" in your Winamp\plugins folder. - usually C:/program files/winamp/plugins)

Step 3.

Click Start->Program Files->FFDshow->VFW Configuration.

Then click the decoder tab and highlight x264 in the right-hand window - it will either say the codec is disabled or "libavcodec" - Make sure it is set to libavcodec.

You should now be ready to enjoy the brand new stream action.
Quote from f1r3b4ll :x264 Installation Walkthrough

(The following workthrough assumes you have a basic knowledge of PC installation and configuration techniques, if in any doubt DO NOT continue, because neither myself or ANY of the OLFSL team are responsible for you not reading these instructions and then whining like little girls.)

Step 1.

Download the following file and install it.
http://mirror01.x264.nl/x264/f ... -gcc4.0.3-sse-x264.nl.exe

(x264 codec and FFDshow - required for the codec to run) - just follow the instructions and leave everything as it is for just now

Step 2.

Save this file and open it.
http://gbstv.info/dev/nsv_x264.zip

(You have to put the file "nsvdec_x264.dll" in your Winamp\plugins folder. - usually C:/program files/winamp/plugins)

Step 3.

Click Start->Program Files->FFDshow->VFW Configuration.

Then click the decoder tab and highlight x264 in the right-hand window - it will either say the codec is disabled or "libavcodec" - Make sure it is set to libavcodec.

You should now be ready to enjoy the brand new stream action.

Thanks for reminding me Mrs Fiendi - REMEMBER TO RESTART WINAMP!!!!
Nothing difficult, but anyway thanks for instruction. Better quality is really need.
Looking forward to the stream quality...

GJ
-
(Mrs FienDi) DELETED by Mrs FienDi
No problems - i look forward to the feedback tomorrow
Are you broadcasting something tomorrow? Where and when?
" Sunday Sept. 17, 2006

Nassa by 500Servers
30 Laps @ WE1R
LX6+FZ5+RAC

Race 1 @ 17:00 UTC
Race 2 @ 18:30 UTC
Race 3 @ 20:00 UTC"

Please check http://www.lfs-league.com for details
Ok, I will tune in.

Maybe I will even be seen live on it then.
The stream will be running from about 2-3pm this afternoon to give you guys time to get your codecs tested out
#17 - nilo
Platform independency!
The following info does only apply if Fireball chooses an audio codec available with the mentioned players. MP3/OGG/AAC should do fine

There are a few alternative players, which are easier to setup, and better video players than winamp (IMO), and all have H264 decoders on board:Of course there are a lot more, because H264 is an open standard. My personal favourite is VLC on all platforms.

I really really appreciate this change to a codec available on more platforms than only windows. Of course, all LFSers do indeed have a windows pc somewhere, but there are some (i.e.: me) who don't like windows that much, and want to watch OLFSLTv on their preferred computer with their preferred system.

So: BIG THUMBS UP!!!

nilo
Thank you Nilo - but there is one small problem, we're still using the NSV container which doesnt play inside of Quicktime I think VLC plays it ok though.
Stream is live
No video
Updated as you suggested. I got sound but no picture.
Scrap that - got it. Picture loads better. Thanks
Buffer runs until 99% and then Winamp crashes.

Edit: works now.
Click Start->Program Files->FFDshow->VFW configuration <- does not exist
Click Start->Program Files->FFDshow->VFW codec configuration does
I only checked under the Video decoder configuration before.
I tested with VLC. All worked good, but there was no difference in quality ...
Quote from Renku :Buffer runs until 99% and then Winamp crashes.

if it gets to 99% and it just hangs then you havent enabled the codec in FFDshow properly - please read the instructions :-)
It works perfect here, and its indeed better quality than before. If only, I'd like to hear some Pearl Jam for us people born in the late 70s...I like Feeder...between other 200 bands

Awesome work Fireball!
lol shut up i just fired n the last thing i was listening to - what tunes would you guys like to hear pre-race ?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG