The online racing simulator
Quote :The bot wouldn't ban people for more than 12 hours automatically

That in the quote is not a detection system. It's a detection system that assumes anyone who collides into someone else nose first at a decent speed is guilty. Sounds much like the police, judge, jury and an executioner to me. If not for the player, the server. If I get banned for 12h by a bot for naught don't expect to see me there again. Ever.

You idea is good in the ideal world, where either people wouldn't mind getting banned for 12h, or the bot wouldn't make mistakes. But then in an ideal world we'd not have wreckers either
Quote from Shotglass :something that watches the race and saves short replays every time a freak crash occurs or somebody is idle on track would work though

Yes, it would work, but it would generate a LOT of replays. It would send them to someone for inspection. And who is going to watch all these replays? Most of them will be false positives anyway.
Maybe it would count the number of contacts with other cars in a certain period of time and also his position and the position of the other car.

It would all be very hard to code and for what? I seriously doubt it would be reliable enough to the point that people would actually use it.
Quote :ou idea is good in the ideal world, where either people wouldn't mind getting banned for 12h, or the bot wouldn't make mistakes. But then in an ideal world we'd not have wreckers either

Even speed cameras make mistakes. And that's a much simpler event than trying to work out if someone crashed into someone else on purpose or not. No, I like the robot dinosaur thingy better.
Quote from wsinda :Yes, it would work, but it would generate a LOT of replays. It would send them to someone for inspection. And who is going to watch all these replays? Most of them will be false positives anyway.

anybody who wants to run a properly admined server id assume
not too keen on computer (bot) admins, they would go wrong plus it would be hard to detect a wrecker. I dont trust machines/bots/autopilots/robots and what have you, wouldnt be reliable. As this video shows, computers in control have a long way to go yet VIDEO
mad
Also the unfinished physics of what happens on contact would be a problem. Look at what happened here.
Attached files
first_corner.mpr - 60.2 KB - 85 views
#33 - Gunn
Quote from duke_toaster :
Genrally, the faster person in a collision is at fault...

"Generally" isn't a satisfactory condition to base a ban on, nor make a decision about a race incident.
Quote from duke_toaster :
There is a system that LFS Lapper uses - it's unscientific - but it's definately a start. After testing on some servers, it could be used well.

The same LFS Lapper the claims I've had a collision even though I'm just spinning my car back around without hitting a single thing
Yes LFS Lapper has it's quirks. Like when you have a crash and immediately pit it will just flood the chat with "racer1 has crashed".

Or when you are in spectate mode and you say something at the same time somebody crashes it says you crashed. Not sure about this one but it seemed like that triggered it.
Quote from Madman_CZ :As this video shows, computers in control have a long way to go yet VIDEO

Quite offtopic, but that plane isn't flown by a computer as the narrator says. It does have fly-by-wire but it is still flown by a pilot, and (officially) the crash was also a pilot error. Wikipedia knows more.
Quote from Kegetys :Quite offtopic, but that plane isn't flown by a computer as the narrator says. It does have fly-by-wire but it is still flown by a pilot, and (officially) the crash was also a pilot error. Wikipedia knows more.

Aww you spoiled my fun!! I watched the video expecting some really dumb computer behavior, and I got it! Was laughing like an idiot here in the office.
Quote from Kegetys :Wikipedia knows more.

Damn that Wikipedia!!!

No but seriously i dont think that Admin Bots are a good idea. Its hard enough to tell when you're human whos is at fault sometimes. A Bot would certainly leave out the argument it wasnt myfault with the admin but it may ban/kick a player who wasnt necessarily at fault. I just dont see it could be a reliable way to control a server. Id rather have a human admin with whom i can discuss/argue about whos fault it was rather than have a Bot sit there and decide.

Yes you have good understanding admins and yes you have the bad impatient admins (cough Redline:rolleyes but from my experience i have come across lot more of the good admins than the bad...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG