The online racing simulator
Copyrighted logos (statement)
(51 posts, started )
Not to say you all don't draw good skins, just sometimes you all use Logos that you have No Premission to use...I see to many skinners using badges and assuming..BMW gave you premission..Hotwheels....or....name it....ask from the company first.

I had to pull "MARVIN" from Warner Bros......but hey..I didn't ask first.

If you think the devs can use any logo without paying....think again.........so all you skinners ....you just go and grab other peoples work.

Ask Then use.

Ant
Wayne P. Skinnerillepall
#2 - filur
The devs can't use any logos or anything else under copyright because they're selling a commercial product, using popular brands could be seen as marketing for LFS itself.

For private individuals, hobbyists, to put copyrighted logos on their car is something very different.
I would expect 99.9% of skinners dont have permission to use copyright logos but i doubt the companies would mind though its free advertising. I know for me ive seen logos on other peoples skins and didnt know them so went and found the company to see what they sold.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from filur :The devs can't use any logos or anything else under copyright because they're selling a commercial product, using popular brands could be seen as marketing for LFS itself.

For private individuals, hobbyists, to put copyrighted logos on their car is something very different.

Exact.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=11911
So you asked valvoline and intel?

Anyway, nice skin, like the paint job!
There's plenty of companies out there who actually willingly distribute corporate logos and things via their website simply because having your logo on anything draws attention to the product and is therefor good (free) advertising.

Using a corporate logo on a commercial product (in this case if you were to try and sell a LFS skin with a brand on) is a different matter, because you do need permission to do that so that royalty fees can be paid.

I don't think there's any company in the world who would take you to court for promoting their product for free

[Edit:
I draw your attention to the Coca Cola website to name just one.]
But if a wrecker is wearing the skin, the people, who got wrecked, willa ssociate bad things with the company.
But only if they are a complete fool. Oh sorry I think maybe you were being sarcastic.
Never!

Actually, Im one of the people, who would do just that.
#9 - Jambo
i dont see any problem with any name being on a car, many people say, free advertising, WHICH IS WHAT IT IS! i dont think companies will do anything for having their brand on you car.

I have skin with Stella Artois on. Some guy saw it, went and baught a crate of stella, no joke, so tht comapany had me advertising for free, and got a sale, no complaints.

Jambo
im pretty sure you can't advertise a company without permision when the advertisement actually costs money and/or produces money for yourself

im not 100% sure, but im pretty positive
#11 - JJ72
Quote from zeugnimod :But if a wrecker is wearing the skin, the people, who got wrecked, willa ssociate bad things with the company.

That's hardly an arguement really, does honda do a ricers scan on anyone who buy their stickers?
JJ72's avatar is a picture of Nelson Piquet's helmet, BURN HIM, BURN HIM ALIVE!

Seriously this isn't an issue. Make a skin pack and sell it then you've got problems.
Quote from AtomAnt :...

I'll use whatever logo I feel like using, until a specific company asks me to stop using it. In that case, I will refrain from using their logo, but I will still use other companies' logos.

[EDIT]
Quote from Dajmin :I don't think there's any company in the world who would take you to court for promoting their product for free

Tommy Bahama will, beware of them.
wel thats all settled then. its never bothered me using logos on skins.
I have 134 files in my 'lfs brands' folder which is where i store all the eps files and self made logos ive used on skins. Which means on all the skins ive used ive used 134 different company logos. No complaints as yet and untill i do (as said above) i will continue to use any company logo i feel like.

Also on a side note - How a company is percieved (sp?) is important in the competitive market place. Only time is becomes less important it when a company is selling a neccesity (eg food) or is a monopoly (eg microsoft) - where the consumer either has to buy the product to live or has no where else to buy it. In those cases the image of the company and the consumers view of the company it still important but plays a less vital role than companies with competition. Even in oligopolies where theres few competition companies the public image is important, hence why they spend alot of money on PR, advertising that their company is enviromentally friendly and advertisements to make people feel good etc as it leads to the company having a good image. Saying this takes me to my point that i think if a company (eg recaro, budweiser, brembo - or any other one used on skins) used the copyright laws to get their logo removed from a skin would be a nightmare for the companies image and so wouldnt do it.
Quote from XCNuse :im pretty sure you can't advertise a company without permision when the advertisement actually costs money and/or produces money for yourself

That's right.

And it's much more complicated here then most of you think.

It doesn't matter if you use an international copyrighted logo from a company for making money or for your hobby or whatever.

If you use it without permission, then you used it without permission.
No matter for what.

They (the companies) can sue you at any time they want for using their logo/brand/name without permission.

In Germany you usually get a cease-and-desist order/warning from an advocate and then you have to pay at least the legal fees (usually around 500 to 1500 Euros for smaller infringements).

This happens here a lot of times.

Just a small example
(I be careful now so I write I have heard):
There was a counterstrike clan who called himself "nationale allianz" and the "Allianz assurance company" sued them for using their name but alliance is just a normal word here illepall etc.
--

But you often get a cease-and-desist order/warning from an advocate for less then that here in Germany. illepall

Edit:
So usually they don't ask you to remove their logo or whatever. They let their advocats do it here and it always costs money when they write you. Always.
And the Band "Allianz" became the "band without a name" here.

Quite a popular word.
imagine what its like in america. they probably sue for using two letters in the same order.

EDIT: so could people be sued for recreating a skin of a real life race car?
Quote from zeugnimod :And the Band "Allianz" became the "band without a name" here.

Quite a popular word.

Yes another good example
Quote from Captain Slow :
EDIT: so could people be sued for recreating a skin of a real life race car?

If there is copyrighted material on it or when they trademarked the complete graphical design of the car then:
Yes.

It doesn't mean that will ever happen. It just means they could if they would.
i thought about this a while back, then i decided to switch to LFS sponsors.
Quote from Captain Slow :imagine what its like in america. they probably sue for using two letters in the same order.

Metallica tried to sure Firestone for naming a tire 'Metallic' a few years back.

Quote from Rappa Z :i thought about this a while back, then i decided to switch to LFS sponsors.

I decided to switch to LFS sponsors because I like the ambience of the game that way. That is also the reason I am going to create and LFS adboard pack to replace all those danged Intel and BMW logos at Aston. lol
#23 - Gunn
Quote from MAGGOT :Metallica tried to sure Firestone for naming a tire 'Metallic' a few years back.

Then Metallica are idiots because the word is botanical latin and predates the band by perhaps a hundred years or more.
I agree. I was just making a point at how rediculous some people are
#25 - Gunn
Quote from MAGGOT :I agree. I was just making a point at how rediculous some people are

Indeed, it's just greed and self-absorbtion.

(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG