The online racing simulator
#26 - Vain
Quote from Jamexing :BTW, completely unsilenced cars are already dying out on the race tracks

I know someone from a racing league who has a sticker on his racecar that reads (literaly translated) "Who protects us from the enviroment-protectors?"
I once had the fortunate opportunity to witness an unsilenced Jaguar E-Type Series III (5.3L V12).

Vain
Quote from Jamexing :a car is road legal as long as maximum noise levels don't exceed 85dB (at least in Australia).

And now I will move to Australia....
frankly, since s1 i wonder how the sounds are synthesized. is it many components (engine, exhaust, transmission, gearbox etc.) mixed together or a full modelling of it as an instrument - from my point of view (mechanical lame) its kind of wind instrument, rather brass than wood.

and i remember there was a keyboard (yamaha i think) in 90s that virtually synthesised any, even imaginary, wind instrument by calculating its sound on fly using dimensions of resonance chambers. but now it has been given up for samples in music as you use intervals there mostly and in narrow, not wide range fluid change of frequency.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :RaVeR:

Apostrophie, Capital, Capital, Capital, Space, Period, Capital, Capital, Capital, Capital, Capital, Capital, Period, Capital, Apostrophie, Capital, Capital, Capital, Comma, Period, Capital, Capital, Capital, Period.

Please don't try and correct me I hate grammer dorks I type how I like thanks says nothing in the forum rules on how to type kthxbye
Quote from herki :come over and drive my car. ('92 VW Polo 86c)

i highly doubt its chassis noise, then again i can't say i've EVER heard noise being made from the chassis.. suspension yes, i hear suspension all the time, the nice extremely deep bass at some times, but chassis? can't say i've ever heard it before
Quote from RaVeR :Please don't try and correct me I hate grammer dorks I type how I like thanks says nothing in the forum rules on how to type kthxbye

Sorry; my mistake. I made the assumption that you wanted to appear sentient and/or be taken seriously.
I'm sorry to disappoint you guys, but the "Enginesim1.wav" was not 100% synthesized!

You can tell by the marks (1;2) in the picture that there were samples used.
these marks usually occur while recording.
Especially the thin long interrupted horizontal (signal) line around 17kHz is used to sync the lines in the interlaced frame known from the pal-tv standard.

but a nice low rev sound at the end of "Enginesim1.wav", never heard an engine make these sound

regards
Attached images
Not Synthesized.jpg
Quote from micha1980de :these marks usually occur while recording.

Possibly originating from recording the sample .wav file?
#34 - Jakg
Quote from RaVeR :Please don't try and correct me I hate grammer dorks I type how I like thanks says nothing in the forum rules on how to type kthxbye

No, put if you ignore the basic rules of English you can expect people correcting you!
Hating grammar, and being able to use it are very different. People don't use grammar correctly just look stupid. Do you want to look stupid?
Quote from micha1980de :I'm sorry to disappoint you guys, but the "Enginesim1.wav" was not 100% synthesized!

You know Todd (jtw62074 - random username?) made those? I don't think he lies.

Those wavs sounded amazing... at least far better than LFS currently. Finally a prove that generated engine can also sound more realistic than sampled engine (I hoped back when netKar Poo was released that it would prove it, but it failed it and was worse than LFS in sound department).

LFS have to take the sampled way in some areas (others than engine sound). How can you try to synthesize all the little sounds like "scratch" or "clonk"? If Scawen believes he is going to do so, he's just crazy.
Quote from micha1980de :I'm sorry to disappoint you guys, but the "Enginesim1.wav" was not 100% synthesized!

You can tell by the marks (1;2) in the picture that there were samples used.
these marks usually occur while recording.
Especially the thin long interrupted horizontal (signal) line around 17kHz is used to sync the lines in the interlaced frame known from the pal-tv standard.

but a nice low rev sound at the end of "Enginesim1.wav", never heard an engine make these sound

regards

Sorry, they are indeed absolutely 100% synthesized. I wrote the software so can be reasonably sure of that There are no wav files or any sort of samples in there at all. I just ran the simulations and recorded them with the Windows Sound Recorder. As for the tick marks, I don't know what that was. Perhaps I overflowed the sound buffer (too large/small of values) at a point or two. Usually you can hear that though as a sort of click or pop sound, which I didn't notice at all.

On the positive side, I must say it's flattering to be accused of using samples there. Thanks!
would be cool if we get different sounds, but hey, if we wait longer (till S2 final or so) we will have cool sounds too!
Great synth work there, Todd. You should be in Kraftwerk.

BBT, you may be interested to know that the word "apostrophe" has no "i" in it.

And Raver, punctuation helps people to understand you. Surely you want to be understood?
Quote from jtr99 :Great synth work there, Todd. You should be in Kraftwerk.

BBT, you may be interested to know that the word "apostrophe" has no "i" in it.

And Raver, punctuation helps people to understand you. Surely you want to be understood?

Old news, but I would point out that both spellings are widely acceptable now. I would think the one you mentioned is more traditionally correct, however you'll find either one in common writings, including journalism and other "professional" genres. Thanks for the tip though.
Tour de France, tour de France!

L'enfer du Nord: Paris - Roubaix
La Cote d'Azur et Saint Tropez...

*pedals away*
Quote from jtw62074 :Sorry, they are indeed absolutely 100% synthesized. I wrote the software so can be reasonably sure of that There are no wav files or any sort of samples in there at all. I just ran the simulations and recorded them with the Windows Sound Recorder. As for the tick marks, I don't know what that was. Perhaps I overflowed the sound buffer (too large/small of values) at a point or two. Usually you can hear that though as a sort of click or pop sound, which I didn't notice at all.

On the positive side, I must say it's flattering to be accused of using samples there. Thanks!

well sorry for drawing fast conclusions on you.
I assumed since it's a synthesized sound you'd be exporting them directly to disc
without re-recording (digital->analog/analog->digital) them in you favorite audio-recording suite.

For the Thick marks:
I see them usually in all kinds of analog device recordings, even my pc produces these.
But mostly they occur while digitizing a analog source of your desire (pctv-board).
Again, sorry, and Yes i had a good laugh at the "klingeling" (ringing) sound at the "Enginesim1.wav" i never heard knew a engine can make such sounds.
Impressive work!

regards
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Old news, but I would point out that both spellings are widely acceptable now. I would think the one you mentioned is more traditionally correct, however you'll find either one in common writings, including journalism and other "professional" genres. Thanks for the tip though.

Wow: never seen this "ie" usage; will look out for examples of it in future. But is it really "widely acceptable"? Is it a Canadian / North American thing? Why have I not seen more examples?

And Todd, what can I say? Keep up the good work!
Oh, that sounds amazing Todd!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG