The online racing simulator
LFS : Mobile edition?
(20 posts, started )
I was sitting here, fiddling with my mobile playing Java Doom and Asphalt GT, and it occured to my, why not a simple Java mobile version of LFS?, would be another string to LFS's bow, surely it wouldnt be too hard to develop something, no idea what or how.......just an idea......

Dan,
haha. Nice idea.
Well, what is the essence of LFS and could it be reproduced into such limited environment?
Good question, it would probably need a little bit of diversification, I didnt think doom would transfer to J2ME, but they did it by slowing the gameplay down considerably.

Maybe a top down sim or something, any ideas anyone?.

Dan,
Make it top down, 1 car 1 track, automatic gearbox hotlapping
But where would you fit your DFP?
and as an addon you could buy little mini steering wheel which you would clip at the bottom of your phone and use your one hand to to play..... the wheel would be about the same size as a lid of a jam pot..!

interesting idea and would give lfs more publicity..
Erm... illepall
Quote from Madman_CZ :and as an addon you could buy little mini steering wheel which you would clip at the bottom of your phone and use your one hand to to play..... the wheel would be about the same size as a lid of a jam pot..!

interesting idea and would give lfs more publicity..

You know you could be onto something ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JogCon
Quote from danowat :I was sitting here, fiddling with my mobile playing Java Doom and Asphalt GT, and it occured to my, why not a simple Java mobile version of LFS?, would be another string to LFS's bow, surely it wouldnt be too hard to develop something, no idea what or how.......just an idea......

Dan,

Don`t degrade Lfs to a game
Quote from alland44 :Don`t degrade Lfs to a game

Game
1. An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime

Sounds like LFS to me

Dan,
Doom, originaly released on a 486
GTA originaly released on first gen pentium (but did run on my 486SX 50!)

LFS, struggles on anything less than a decent CPU = no converstion possible.

At best you'd get a nasty arcade racer of the sega rally ilk but nothing better. The physics processing is just too intensive for the limited resources of a phone.

Also, don't confuse Doom RPG with a real doom port, both exist and the doom port runs just fine on my A1000 and uses the original wads!
Quote from yegadoyai :Doom, originaly released on a 486
GTA originaly released on first gen pentium (but did run on my 486SX 50!)

LFS, struggles on anything less than a decent CPU = no converstion possible.

At best you'd get a nasty arcade racer of the sega rally ilk but nothing better. The physics processing is just too intensive for the limited resources of a phone.

Also, don't confuse Doom RPG with a real doom port, both exist and the doom port runs just fine on my A1000 and uses the original wads!

You've missed the point completely

I wasnt after a direct port (give me some credit) I was after something that had the "essence" of LFS in a stripped down J2ME format.

Dan,

Doesn't something like this happen once the source, erm, program , is complete?
#16 - SamH
I can't imagine a mobile device "version" of LFS being good publicity for LFS, tbh. The mobile version would have to exclude every aspect of LFS that sets LFS apart from every other racing sim, in order for it to function with any level of functionality on the PDA.

However.. one thing that COULD work might be a replay player. Perhaps even an LFSSpectator? If the mission is to get exposure for LFS, while providing a measure of functionality, that's where I reckon a mobile "version" could win... [credit low. please insert 2p to continue]
IMHO the 'essence' of the game is the feel. LFS felt good to drive the first time, and still feels good now. GPL still feels good so i still play it, GP3&4 suck nowadays. GTR is frustrating and GT Legends is my next purchase. I don't see any conversion working to such a limited platform, I cited doom as you had, and cited GTA as it is probably the best top down car game ever. There are several arcade racers available on the J2ME platform and none of them will capture the essence of LFS. If you remove the 'feel' of LFS you have just another racer, in fact you have an ugly sounding and only alright looking racer.

So, sorry if you feel this is a bash, it's not. Just it's an unrealistic expectation given the platform. I doubt you would be able to do real time analysis for a race, even for a spectator view on the majority of phones. Maybe a setup calculator with simulated lap times? (you change the setup then the AI runs x laps) Would be pretty boring (and would take a while to process the laps) but you might be able to fine tune your setup while on the bus?
Quote from SamH :I can't imagine a mobile device "version" of LFS being good publicity for LFS, tbh. The mobile version would have to exclude every aspect of LFS that sets LFS apart from every other racing sim, in order for it to function with any level of functionality on the PDA.

However.. one thing that COULD work might be a replay player. Perhaps even an LFSSpectator? If the mission is to get exposure for LFS, while providing a measure of functionality, that's where I reckon a mobile "version" could win... [credit low. please insert 2p to continue]

Now you`re talking !
That would be great
Im thinking.... LFS PSP version? That wouldn't be so limiting as a crappy PDA or Cellphone..
Phill, we had that topic 2 weeks ago.

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG