The online racing simulator
LFS renders in Blender..?
(47 posts, started )
#1 - TiJay
LFS renders in Blender and my first 3DSMax attempts...
This may have been asked before and apologies if it has, but is it possible/easy? I could acquire 3DSMax and Brazil but it's more hassle than just getting Blender. EDIT: Sorry, found a topic where it has...
it is possible and really easy
a python scripts exists to convert cmx files into wavefront obj files (importables in blender)
I'll post you a render i made with yafray (edited with blender)
if you want i'll point you to the python script too.
heres a pic edited in blender and rendered with yafray
Attached images
render1.jpg
#4 - TiJay
Nice job! Before I found your posts I acquired 3DS Max 8 and Brazil Rio- attached is my first poor, Photoshopped render. All I have to do now is learn how to apply a skin...
Attached images
FXR loses it in Bahrain.jpg
@P2M-Unixseb: could you please give me the link to the python script ? would be much better than using the java cmx converter
#6 - TiJay
My first skinned render- FXR Honda blasting through the desert.
Attached images
My Honda FXR.jpg
big thx ! checking it out right now
the script and importation in blender work fine except UV mapping, I must rotate 180° all my textures... I can't find an easy way to mirror the UV maps in blender
in the uv mapping editor, select all vertices (A) then click R to rotate them with the ctrl key on to step precisly to 180
looool

I tried that immediatly after testing the script for the first time. But selection center is not the same as image file center, so after a rotation the UVs are not located at the good position.
instead of moving UV coords, just double mirror the image.. look at the right bottom of the attachment
Attached images
180.png
Thank you vampire, great idea !!
Hi,
you first have to edit the script a bit(..). Open it up with notepad and change the lines beginning with "filePath", "fileToLoad", "outputDir" and "outputFileName" to your environment/liking.
If you habe python installed seperately, just doubleclick the script now, it should run and create the file.
Else, put the script into your blender/.blender/scripts" directory.
In Blender, open up a "Text editor" window, load the script and press ALT+P while your mouse pointer is in the text editor window. That runs the script.

You can import the resulting .obj File in Blender by Menu "File"->"Import"->"Wavefront(.obj)".
hth, Tys
I used instructions but when I start python script Blender gives me this :" Python script error, check console" And it marks me red this line in python

"f = open(filePath+"cmx/"+fileToLoad+".cmx","rb")"

Help me please.

Edit: sorry I asked... I set wrong path. I think that that is the problem.
Thank you!
sorry to hijack the thread but is there anywhere that has a step by step guide to rendering with blender for complete noobs like me illepall ? and what is this yafray? i thought blender was the render? If someone could point me in the right direction it would be great.
ok, i got the script to work, finally , but after i import i dont see anything. am i missing somthing?:banghead:

lol, nevermind yet again, i found it, i guess you have to load the file that the script made,now just have to figure out the rest, thanks for getting me this far,and thanks for the script!
You need to change theese:

filePath = "your path"
fileToLoad = "your name"
#fileToLoad = "name of a car(check in cmx viewer folder"

outputDir = "your path"
outputFileName = "name of export"

Then you load it to blender and press ALT+P. Then happens nothing in blender but you have in outputDir(your path set in script) a file.obj ( You have set the name before in script)

For example:
outputDir = "C:\LFS\"
outputFileName = "car"

Then you will find the object to import in blender on this path : C:\LFS\car.obj

guy how to use this,is there somewere some guide to use this? i don know how to import cmx,where to put that cmx2obj file?
ok for now i menaged to put script in blender
how to import cmx i find cmx in viewer but when i open it it says its not valid blender format???
ok i imported cmx and ended up with this now how to add skin???
Im not the expert but the script creates a new file that can be opened in blender (RB4GT.obj IIRC) you just use blender to open the file and use the advice above to put the skin on, ya it gets very confusing very fastillepall , i can get the car model into blender and got the skin on but having trouble rendering it , ive given up for a while though :banghead:

oh and becarefull with the slashes /////\\\\/\/\/\///\\
Quote from magicius :ok i imported cmx and ended up with this http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3128/0006bd6.jpgnow how to add skin???

Good work so far Nice background
Do you have any experience in using Blender? If so, you just have to assign a new material to the hull, add a UV texture, set the sizeX and sizeY to -1 and map that texture to "col".
Then do a test render to see what is still missing. Like a material for the windows, the underlying frame and so on. It is a lot of work to start, best thing to do first is renaming the in imported objects to something meaningful, texturing them bit for bit. Then build some sort of scene, do the lightning and then render it.
For a good carpaint material there is a good tutorial using the material nodes system of render: http://mke3.net/archives/2006/07/car_paint_redux.html
Aaaand a tutorial on lighting: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/B ... _Noob_to_Pro/Adding_Lamps
If you want to put in some extra work, you can use Indigo to render the scene, the results are quite phenomenal. www.indigorender.com
Regards, Tys

LFS renders in Blender..?
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG