The online racing simulator
"Phantom" steering wheel movements
I noticed last night, when driving the XRR, that the "in car" steering wheel will sometimes show movement, normally bump steering movement, these steering wheel movements are not transmitted to the FFB wheel.

Is there any reason for these movements not being "picked up" by my hardware?, surely if the wheel is feeling, and getting effected by, forces "in sim" why am I not getting them on my wheel?.

Dan,
#2 - axus
I get the same thing. I asked about it a few months ago. It yielded no answers.
Hmmm can you show an example with a replay or something?

There are minor bumps which I don't normally feel through my force feedback, but a lot of the crucial ones I feel all the time.
Maybe they are just too gentle and tiny movments that forcefeedback can't keep up and be so accurate.
Thats the thing, they are pretty severe sometimes, almost 1/4 of a turn, and nothing in the wheel.

Dan,
#6 - axus
A replay wouldn't work though... the only reasonable test I can think of is to film it from th e side. Showing that thte wheel on the screen is not aligned with the wheel in your hands should be enough... for the FF you'd need to let go of the wheel at the time when the car is going over the bump. I have a digital camera but no-one to help me film this until tonight.
Just did a few laps, XRR at AS Nat, its definately bump steer, the entry to T1 shows it, steering wheel reacts to the bumps "in game" but nothing happens on the wheel, also, down the "back straight" on the uphill section it happens too.

I have no way to record it, so maybe try it for yourself.

I will attach a replay and my setup in the vain attempt it will happy visualize the issue, (yes, I know I am rubbish in the XRR ).

Dan,
Attached files
danowat_AS3_XRR_14575.spr - 135.1 KB - 229 views
XR GTR_AS Nat.set - 132 B - 218 views
I can see some sort of shaking in the wheel like you in the T1. Those movements look very quick and violent, so maybe FF can't keep up with those either Or, don't shoot me because of this, there is a bug in LFS
Agreed they are quite quick and violent, although, my thinking is this, if they are they then they want to be represented by the FFB, also, if they are due to setups being overall aggresive, maybe having the FFB represent this will lead to more realistic setup values?.

Just thinking out loud..........

Dan,
Do you have wheel turn compensation at 1.00??? Putting it to 0 might make the wheel sensitive, but it should match what your hands are doing on your wheel and the game's wheel.... even if you hit bumps.
Your wheel might be broken, I remember my old MS Sidewinder doing that too occasionally.
Quote from Tweaker :Do you have wheel turn compensation at 1.00??? Putting it to 0 might make the wheel sensitive, but it should match what your hands are doing on your wheel and the game's wheel.... even if you hit bumps.

What actually that option does? I tried it with 0 value and does somehow feel more sensitive but can't feel the small wheel movements, I really doubt that it's even possible. One thing to notice thou, the wheel you see in the game has more turning angle than the wheel you hold in your hands, the XRR wheel turns 360 if I got it right and computer wheel usually is set to 270. That should mean that small movement you see in the game would be even smaller in your own wheel, and could be just impossible to the wheel to recreate.
#13 - axus
Quote from Tweaker :Do you have wheel turn compensation at 1.00??? Putting it to 0 might make the wheel sensitive, but it should match what your hands are doing on your wheel and the game's wheel.... even if you hit bumps.

Seems to solve the problem here.
I have noticed this too. GPL and N200x have it as well. First I thought it was some hidden 'yaw steering help' scheme but it turned out to be a spring programmed between your wheel input and the steering of the car. It seems to be in LFS since the BF1 patch / update. With Papyrus it was claimed to have something to do with improving force feedback.

I don't see it as a problem, actually it would be quite realistic to have some elasticity in the steering rack.

Nope, my compensation is already at 0

Dan,
I suffered something similar recently. I took my wheel apart, gave it a good clean and blasted it with air, put it together and now it works fine
Quote from danowat :Nope, my compensation is already at 0

Dan,

check also the "smooth compensation" (don't rememeber the exact name of that option), it compensates (filter out) small movements, hope it helps...
Quote from Honey :check also the "smooth compensation" (don't rememeber the exact name of that option), it compensates (filter out) small movements, hope it helps...

Would that be "Analog steer smooth"? if so, thats at 0 too

Dan,
I have seen this before, but only very minor. I am using a little analogue smooth steer, but shouldn't that only affect things the other way round (if you can follow my way of thinking).
I've been getting the same sort of thing but with both Momo and DFP over the last 2 years.

It's damn annoying! but unfortunately I can't find the problem either. Is it the new bug from logitech maybee, 'cos my pedals are fine!
Quote from danowat :Would that be "Analog steer smooth"? if so, thats at 0 too

Dan,

yes, i mean that option...i'msorry it didn't help
Quote from Blackout :What actually that option does? I tried it with 0 value and does somehow feel more sensitive but can't feel the small wheel movements, I really doubt that it's even possible. One thing to notice thou, the wheel you see in the game has more turning angle than the wheel you hold in your hands, the XRR wheel turns 360 if I got it right and computer wheel usually is set to 270. That should mean that small movement you see in the game would be even smaller in your own wheel, and could be just impossible to the wheel to recreate.

Sorry, I forgot not everyone has a 900 degree wheel that you can match the rotation with
I remember there being something in the config.txt that was set to 1. Setting it to 0 would mean that the wheel would not make those tiny little movements on the limit which look like kickback but which you cannot feel through the FF. It was not an option in the game itself and I don't have a clue what it was called. I had a look and I don't think it's in the config anymore, though I may be wrong.
Maybe fool around with the FF Steps line in your config file???

FF Steps 128

Mine (default). But I think it goes up to 256.
I noticed this also, the wheel will be moving left to right kinda on a turn from road bumps, but I dont feel it thorugh the force feedback, would be nice to though.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG