The online racing simulator
Using others setups
(17 posts, started )
#1 - RaVeR
Using others setups
Ok this has been bothering me for a while when I race and if im racing in a server where they are racing cars I havn't used before.I normally ask can I have the setup off the fastest guy.Nearly every set I have has not been made by me.

I don't currently drive but when I do I will be getting some track time but getting companys to do everything such as lowering the car or tuning it and I see sorta like that.I enjoy racing but I don't really understand the concepts of most the things in setups so thats why I use other peoples do any of you find this wrong??

If they say no I don't keep pestering them I just make due with another tracks set or ask someone just as fast.
#2 - kompa
Not at all. How did you come to think it was not OK? I'm not much of a mechanic myself either, although I would be faster if I were...

Why not download the whole setup field from inferno? No need then to ask for setups on servers, I think.
#3 - RaVeR
Quote from kompa :Not at all. How did you come to think it was not OK? I'm not much of a mechanic myself either, although I would be faster if I were...

Why not download the whole setup field from inferno? No need then to ask for setups on servers, I think.

A few racers on diff servers have said to me before its wrong and I should make my own

Also can I have a link to this inferno site please thanks.
#4 - Gunn
Quote from RaVeR :A few racers on diff servers have said to me before its wrong and I should make my own

Also can I have a link to this inferno site please thanks.

It isn't wrong, many people are happy to share their set. I make all of mine myself and although they aren't world record-breaking setups (I only bother with race sets, not hotlapping), I believe that my driving has improved from understanding how each setup change effects every little thing.
So yes, use other people's setups if they share them, but if you get some time to play around with the setups yourself you might learn something that helps you improve your racing.
#5 - kompa
http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu/

I bet they meant it not as if it was bad to use others sets but as an encouragement to learn the stuff and become a better racer as a result.

I can't be bothered with it too much, all I adjust are brakes and steering in most WR setups and it's pretty good for 10 laps most of the time...
Quote from Gunn :It isn't wrong, many people are happy to share their set. I make all of mine myself and although they aren't world record-breaking setups (I only bother with race sets, not hotlapping), I believe that my driving has improved from understanding how each setup change effects every little thing.
So yes, use other people's setups if they share them, but if you get some time to play around with the setups yourself you might learn something that helps you improve your racing.

You know, You're right about that I guess, but still all the set-ups I make suck. It amazes me how "The Butterfly Effect" comes into play when making adjustments.

But yeah, usually when I ask for a set up, I usually get two or three
I never heard of asking for one considered wrong.
I dont mind sharing sets usually when people ask nicely and i can see they are genuinly wanting to use it to LEARN how to get faster times

However what pisses me off is when someone joins a server and demands a set straight away and is generally rude with it.... especially if they join mid race they just dont seem to understand its sometimes not possible to send a set mid race or even type a msg telling them to wait until the end.... then they go around calling you a w***er because of it

and i think thats where some of the hostility about set sending comes from

The only other time i wont send a set is if i am preparing it for a league race and i prefer to keep my set private until after wards
You will never be as fast if you always use others peoples sets compared with if you had the knowledge to make small adjustments to correct problem with your sets. Spend some time reading about what ARBs, dampers etc do and then spend some time experiementing, putting theory into practice and note the results. In the long run it'll make you MUCH faster. I knocked off 3/4 a second of one of my lap times last night by slightly reducing the amount of rebound damping all round!
#9 - Tukko
Quote from andy_bonjon :
However what pisses me off is when someone joins a server and demands a set straight away and is generally rude with it.... especially if they join mid race they just dont seem to understand its sometimes not possible to send a set mid race or even type a msg telling them to wait until the end.... then they go around calling you a w***er because of it

what he said ^^

that's really annoying I don't mind sharing my sets, those aren't that special.. but there are people who join a server and doesn't even bother trying to drive the combo before moaning about sets.. argh at least try it with race_s or whatever to learn the track and braking points etc.

and it's "funny" that after you've sent your set usually the only thanks you get from them is when they crash you in T1.. illepall

*blub*
Provided I am asked between races i'm usually good for a driveable setup, some of my sets have been used to go sub-wr, some havn't, (and with me at the wheel very definately none have!) I just make a set that feels driveable to me.

However I dont make my own for a new combo until i've tried a few from other people, it helps to understand how other people are doing a combo before messing it up yourself.

Usually I have one setup I like for each car that I modify for new tracks, making tweeks to the more 'advanced' settings only if necessary to solve certain corners.

Ask me mid race and i'll either ignore you or block messages.
I usually start with a setup from the Inferno site, then adapt it to suit myself - quite often ending up with something completely different. I've even got the the point that I have a good idea of what changes I'd like to make even before trying a setup out.

On the very rare occasion I've been asked, I've never hesitated to share a set up.

I've never asked for a set up on line - but a number of times I've been offered one unsolicited (yes, I'm that slow... )
Quote from W1LLSD4D :I usually start with a setup from the Inferno site, then adapt it to suit myself - quite often ending up with something completely different. I've even got the the point that I have a good idea of what changes I'd like to make even before trying a setup out.

On the very rare occasion I've been asked, I've never hesitated to share a set up.

I've never asked for a set up on line - but a number of times I've been offered one unsolicited (yes, I'm that slow... )

Yeah i do the same, I usualy use an inferno set and then change it to suit my own driving style as some of the inferno sets i cant drive at all. I do occasionally make my own set from scratch though but i just dont have the time to sit here and spend hours and hours testing and perfecting my setup.

I also dont mind sharing my setup if i am asked for it, as ppl who have been on my server will know Alway glad to help, quite often they cant drive it as fast as i can though

mad
I agree it's annoying when racers join and immediately DEMAND a set from you MID RACE! Think about what you are doing?

Also, I really don't have the slightest interest in other peoples sets. Everyone drives differently so a set thats good for one driver is crap for another.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from Gentlefoot :
Also, I really don't have the slightest interest in other peoples sets. Everyone drives differently so a set thats good for one driver is crap for another.

That's true, but some setups are ultimately capable of faster lap times than others, which is why everyone wants to try as many as possible.

I think that there are only a handful of people that exclusively use their own setups. Many of us, myself included, try others and change things as we see fit. I have not made many setups "from scratch", and only done those in the first weeks/months of a new LFS version/physics patch. If mine is the best I've tried I'll continue to change it, but if I try another, and it's better, that then becomes the setup I'll change as I go.

It's like a setup family tree
If the first setups made for each car are stems from which all the future variations grow, then I bet there aren't more than 4 or 5 major stems for each car, development of which leads to 95% of the currently used setups for that car. Possibly for some cars there might even be just one stem leading to 99% of the current setups being used.
anyone else noticed that when you first drive someone else's setup it can feel wrong and so you modify it and end up, as already posted, with a completly different set whioch feels good, but when you then go back to the original setup that now feels a lot more drivable and better than your mods made it?

er not very well written but im on holiday and nursing the mother , father, grandparents and any other ancesters right back to doomsday book, of all hangovers
Quote from tinvek :anyone else noticed that when you first drive someone else's setup it can feel wrong and so you modify it and end up, as already posted, with a completly different set whioch feels good, but when you then go back to the original setup that now feels a lot more drivable and better than your mods made it?

It used to happen to me, after a while i started to realise what every option does so i drive the original set for a while and change the things that i don't like, but usually if I see that a set is totally different from mine i don't use it, if I do I end making a mess to my racing lines.
What I don't like are people who basically demand you give them your setup. A lot of the time if I'm making a setup for a league then I will not give it out to anyone but team members. If we are all racing the same car in the league then setting the car up is a big part of getting ahead of the competition. I've been called all sorts of names for not giving my setup out but I don't see why I'm obliged. I'll usually give it out unless it's a setup which I was given by someone else.

Using others setups
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG