The online racing simulator
Can't we all just get along?
(66 posts, started )
Was just reading the phlos post...

I check the forums five or ten times a day. And frankly i'm about to quit it.

Once upon a time, there were people in the forum who made fun "mods" and everyone was happy. Now, i'm afraid to post my layouts and even post at all because of the negative commenting on everything!

I know this thread will be flamed aswell, i actually hope it does. Since it will really show who are the real buggers of the forum.

Somebody makes a post about a pass, and really, it was a mediocre pass. two second download - and i moved on to the next post. But somebody had to raise their arms to get noticed, WHY??

I'd really like an alternative LFS-forum, so i could choose. If anyone, and i mean anyone made a negative comment, BANG, banned... for life! I don't want to wake up in the morning, in my vacation - to look at "YUO AR TEH LFS-CRACKERS!!!" and "NOOB"-sentences.

I guess, what i'm trying to say is. And i know it has been said before, if you don't have anything nice to say. Shut up!

I'm thinking about making a standard text, that i'll copy and paste every time someone makes a negative comment. But, i hope there is a rule against that!

I can't see why this forum has to end up this bad? i spend a lot of times in the Miata.net forums, 10 times the member-count of this forum. And not all the trouble! Because people meet up to talk about something they care about.

i know that is a lot of words, without saying anything... hence the OFF TOPIC forum-branch!
Today at 13:37 (GMT +3) I counted over 10 topics in general discussion that had zero, nada, nothing to do with general discussion about Live for Speed.

Add the "I'm too cool to search first" and "LOOK AT ME! COMPLIMENT ME! TELL ME I'M PRETTY IN THIS THREAD I MADE ABOUT SOMETHING!" -behaviour and it's no wonder people react somewhat hostile, thus negative replies fly like big rusty cannonballs with flames attached.

Sometimes you just don't have anything nice to say. Though I agree that a better person would keep his/her mouth shut... and wonder why the topic creater couldn't keep his/her mouth shut in the first place.

EDIT: None of the above was meant as an attack against you, this thread is all cool so far.
No need for this topic to get burnt and flamed. That is a good point and I've been wondering that myself too. People should really think before posting, and not going to personal level of insulting, or even to insulting.
Things do seem quite bad here in terms of general hostility toward each other. I'll tell you how bad I think it is...

After my first texture mod post when it came to releasing LFS Companion I actually had to think very hard about whether to release it at all, then when I did release it to the public I was soon just two clicks away from removing it again, because the first post after it's launch I started coming under fire for not adhering to some ****s idea of what a post should be.

The only reason I didn't remove it was because just before I did the first person to say something nice posted.
#5 - JJ72
Quote from lurendrejer :
I guess, what i'm trying to say is. And i know it has been said before, if you don't have anything nice to say. Shut up!

and THAT is a negative comment.

a positive way of saying it will be.

"If you don't feel that impresses, maybe there will be things more worthy of your time on the rest of the forum!"

Now ask yourself what makes you write that way and you shall understand why can't we just get along.
Yes, you're right. In the last 6 months I've started to write a very similar post several times, and stopped myself. It does make me wonder whether this is a community I want to be involved in any more.

I've made a lot of friends, a few enemies, and even had the privilege to spend the evening with a few of them (no sexual puns, ta ). Fortunately these aren't the people who are responsible for my ill feeling, and to those I apologise and still hold the greatest respect for.
With the growth of the LFS user base, the official tosser-normo ratio gets worse, those decent people are still there, they just don't shout as loud as the tosser's.

Hopefully the tosser set will get bored eventually and move on, but untill that time, just ignore them, like you have too in real life, where I think the tosser-normo ratio is worse than on here.

Dan,
OMG not ANTHER TOPIC
Quote from faster111 :OMG not ANTHER TOPIC

And another stunningly spelled post from yourself.

But to the topic, I agree it's a problem, once that is everywhere due to the world being filled with idiots. As I also said in another thread on a similar matter, we're running out of new interesting things to talk about (including talking about people with nothing better to talk about).

I can't see an obvious solution to the problem.
#10 - S0ul
i really dont want to rant about you faster,though i could...Your reply was quite inappropriate,since comments like this started the whole "affair",so please think before you write.I think everyone should take a little break,chill a bit and just enjoy summer(though its just raining in Germany)
So,listen to some good music and relax,since i really like this place,it would be a pity if it gets messed up like this.
S0ul
#11 - SamH
Vivaciousness. It's an active forum, so I think it's an inevitability, especially with a large and expanding userbase. You can't get on with everyone in the pub, and the bigger the pub is, the more tables with people who don't think like you do, or don't hold high the things you do. Each one of us is, in some way or on some front, a Rangers fan in a Celtic pub. Add to it all, the fact that we're not face to face. It's easy to spite someone you'll never meet, and the desire for some to have their voice heard is too great to resist. I'm really terribly guilty of it all, too, and I have an awful lot of difficulty sitting on the sideline. This post was too much to resist. Sorry!
#13 - Vain
My hint to all readers (yes, that includes *YOU* Mr. Reader currently in front of your screen reading this very post):
Learn to ignore inappropiate posts. You don't need to reply. You have the possibility to do so. But if you don't enjoy it, you don't have to do it.

No one forces you to be here. You come here for your own enjoyment. So there is no need to feel personally involved when someone else says something stupid, or starts a useless discussion.

By the way, the disregard of the above leads to an unhappy life and a high post counter. Thus the "sadness rating".
I learned that lesson pretty late myself, as you can see to the left hand side of this post .

Vain
Quote from the_angry_angel :Yes, you're right. In the last 6 months I've started to write a very similar post several times, and stopped myself. It does make me wonder whether this is a community I want to be involved in any more.

I've made a lot of friends, a few enemies, and even had the privilege to spend the evening with a few of them (no sexual puns, ta ). Fortunately these aren't the people who are responsible for my ill feeling, and to those I apologise and still hold the greatest respect for.

I know exactly what you mean. Recently I have been in the process of writing a reply, and then thought "what's the point?". Basically I have been policing myself by thinking, will my post actually contribute anything useful. Ok, sometimes ill spam a little bit for fun but more often than not ill restrain myself.

I agree with you on the second part too. There is a core of LFS drivers and forum posters, but at the moment there is not alot for them to post about. So unfortunately we see alot of crap arising. There isn't alot that can be done, but I am happy to sit in the back ground and make contributions when appropriate. Hopefully alot of it will wear off, but im not holding my breath.

Quote from Vain :My hint to all readers (yes, that includes *YOU* Mr. Reader currently in front of your screen reading this very post):
Learn to ignore inappropiate posts. You don't need to reply. You have the possibility to do so. But if you don't enjoy it, you don't have to do it.

No one forces you to be here. You come here for your own enjoyment. So there is no need to feel personally involved when someone else says something stupid, or starts a useless discussion.

By the way, the disregard of the above leads to an unhappy life and a high post counter. Thus the "sadness rating".
I learned that lesson pretty late myself, as you can see to the left hand side of this post .

Vain

Ditto.

I have said it before and I will say it again "If you don't have anything nice/constructive to say, don't say anything at all!"

Quote from the_angry_angel :We need another meet

Double ditto.

It will be nice when it comes around again.
Quote from Becky Rose :when it came to releasing LFS Companion I actually had to think very hard about whether to release it at all, then when I did release it to the public I was soon just two clicks away from removing it again, because the first post after it's launch I started coming under fire for not adhering to some ****s idea of what a post should be.

I agree, there are some real arseholes around. I tried to ask this one dude a simple question the other day and she bit my ****ing head off. Turns out she's still got sand in her vagina about it and is calling me names in other threads aswell now.
Quote from Becky Rose :Things do seem quite bad here in terms of general hostility toward each other. I'll tell you how bad I think it is...

After my first texture mod post when it came to releasing LFS Companion I actually had to think very hard about whether to release it at all, then when I did release it to the public I was soon just two clicks away from removing it again, because the first post after it's launch I started coming under fire for not adhering to some ****s idea of what a post should be.

The only reason I didn't remove it was because just before I did the first person to say something nice posted.

Quote from thisnameistaken :I agree, there are some real arseholes around. I tried to ask this one dude a simple question the other day and she bit my ****ing head off. Turns out she's still got sand in her vagina about it and is calling me names in other threads aswell now.

Why can't you just get along?
It's because they both have a crush on the other one, and are behaving like school children who like each other - the ruder and more hairpulling one is to the other the more they like them.

*runs from both of them *
At the time that was going on it was very upsetting. I wanted the post to be about my application, not forum posting ettiquette. I even answered his question by referring him to the revellent information, but the person in question preferred to make it an issue, just as the poster of this thread says - it seems that more often than not people preffer to take a confrontational attitude around here.

If that wasn't true, why is the said person going into specifics in this thread too?

I gave an unrelated classic example of just how bad the situation is, mentioned no names, and only explained my exasperation over the current hate-attitudes around here. What do we then see?

Classic trolling behaviour trying to pick a fight.

It's typical of this place, and exemplifies what the original post here is all about.
#19 - Smax
People have opinions, not everybody has a positive opinion. This isn't a democracy it's a forum which belongs to the LFS Dev team but I don't see where the T.O.S says anything along the lines of "play nice all the time or be banned." In fact the few forums I've seen where negativity isn't tolerated in any form have very few members.

I've seen lots of posts in this forum that I haven't agreed with, and many more that I wouldn't try to defend, but read the first line of Spankmeyer's signature and if you haven't already grasped where I'm coming from perhaps that will help.

I'm not trying to suggest that anything goes, and people should blithely say whatever they like without regard for others, but equally I don't like the fluffy bunny facists either.
As others have said (but I think still needs repeating) is that such a small group of people are making the forums such a crazy place to even read (not pointing any fingers, but the people who are involved know who they are), and it does discourage alot of people for wanting to post or even read these forums.

Sidi, I agree, all of us just need to get out and race. Let the hate flow off into the tricky turns (with a nice power slide) and the good flow back into people as they cross the finish line (ok, I am getting off-topic but I just wanted to show that I agreed 100% with people just getting out there and racing).
Quote from mrbogeyman :I know exactly what you mean. Recently I have been in the process of writing a reply, and then thought "what's the point?". Basically I have been policing myself by thinking, will my post actually contribute anything useful. Ok, sometimes ill spam a little bit for fun but more often than not ill restrain myself.

Likewise. I just dont feel my posts would benefit this forum at all, at best someone might make use of the comment, at worse you stand to be critised and flamed.

I belong to another forum where I post fairly regularly because I know I'm helping people - and we have a good laugh over there without ANY stupid comments against jokes etc.

I'm not going to name the forum but the guys over there are a great bunch, there's never friction between members, as they all talk passionately about the subject.

This thread has made me realise how bad this forum is - it's not the fault of the devs of course, nor the majority of the users, but there are some that really bring this place down.

I dont even have the time to play LFS any more, and I doubt I'll be visiting this forum much any more
#22 - MR_B
:star: Maybe a little star logo in our sigs would show our kindnessness :star:
Quote from MR_B ::star: Maybe a little star logo in our sigs would show our kindnessness :star:

Okey dokey...
:star: :star: can i join in too? (this could be like the blue anti bullying bands people used to wear)
#25 - MR_B
Quote from Captain Slow ::star: :star: can i join in too? (this could be like the blue anti bullying bands people used to wear)

haha go for it Anti bullying, happy stars it is!

(66 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG