The online racing simulator
Few small insim kind of suggestions
1) Make special "tell" command so insim progs can print text to screen without anyone else seeing it, online etc. For example some special syntax to the front of message which tells LFS not to send it to the race host... This allows insim apps to tell the user what is going on without disturbing other people while online for example.

2) insim apps should able to display some kind of information in LFS. The tell command isn't quite useful for this. What I suggest is that LFS could have some kind of in-built tables with the ability to get and put text/info into them (attachment1), change the background color and opacity of individual table boxes and give certain parametres that tell LFS where it sould be shown on the screen.

These tables could be shown just by writing some command by using the tell function, like pressing "t" and writing /showtable or something. (This way they could be set up to the F1-F12 buttons.) It would trigger the insim app to tell the LFS through insim/outsim/inother that particular table needs to be shown, with the info inside it what the insim app wants to be shown. This could allow programmers to code various apps for LFS, like messaging services, lfsworld info viewers, special race info etc...

3) I had one more suggestion in my mind but forgot it
Attached images
attachment1.jpg
Request 1 already exists:

struct MsgToConn // 64 chars - send to LFS and on to a chosen connection (0 = host)
{
char Id [4]; // MTC + zero
byte Conn; // connection
byte UniqueId; // destination player UniqueId : if set, Conn is ignored
byte Sp2;
byte Sp3;
char Msg [64]; // text message or /command, must end with zero
};

Request 2 might be good, but I think the insim app should have a meens of forcing the table onscreen rather than making it a command for the player, and it should appear at top/centre so as not to be in the main eyeline of the driver.
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
Quote from Becky Rose :...

Request 2 might be good, but I think the insim app should have a meens of forcing the table onscreen rather than making it a command for the player, and it should appear at top/centre so as not to be in the main eyeline of the driver.

Forcing the table on screen, yes, of course . But imho the location of the table should be adjustable as different locations suit better for different purposes. Like some messaging service should not be in the middle of the screen. But stuff like "advanced qualify timing systems (TM)" which show more information should be allowed to be placed freely on the screen by user.

Basically this would allow people to build own huds to get more/less info about... erm.. the race. A base system for the tables exists already me think, as the results window that open after finishing the race is quite close what I mean here.

Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :Table suggestion is very good. There should be insim packs to allow you to:
1. Move that table
2. Show/hide table
3. Redefine table (# of columns,# of rows #, colors)
4. Replace text in table
5. Shown only to "insim" player or to all players on "insimed" host .

These would then require:
1. table location: percent of viewing area horizontally and vertically?
2. There should always be a way to hide the table manually, see 5.
3. and 4.Table contents editable through insim on-the-fly (so it can update itself or someting)
5. It would be great if the players joining on a host wouldn't need to download and run the insim app on their computers. Just hook up on relay, this would allow servers to make tables of their rules, memberlists, race infos etc. by just typing a command to view the table. Or forcing it on certain occasions, like rules shown after joining
certainly I would use this to name the car ahead/behind with LFS Companion, so more drivers could turn display names off and get a much neater onscreen view without the traditional "frag" game names bouncing around onscreen.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG