The online racing simulator
Ok to buy a license now?
(29 posts, started )
#1 - Noni
Ok to buy a license now?
Thinking of buying a license (if my damn logitech wheel ever sells). Is now a good time? I dont want to pay £24 quid and next month/week S3 comes out !
#2 - JTM29
Any times a good time to buy, you dont HAVE to buy S3 when it comes out, but its gonna cost the same whether you buy it now and pay extra for S3 when it comes out or later on after S3 comes out...

But it wont be out for a while so dont worry about it
#3 - joen
Quote from Noni :Thinking of buying a license (if my damn logitech wheel ever sells). Is now a good time? I dont want to pay £24 quid and next month/week S3 comes out !

S3 will not come out for quite a while considering S2 isn't even final yet. So yes, it's a good time
Plus, if you want to get S3 too in the future it will only be 12 quid because you already own S2. The price is the same in the end, but it will spread the costs
LFS is sold in stages, £12 for S1, S2 and S3 with a total cost of £36. So even if you bought S2 now and S3 came out in a week it'd still only cost £36 total.

S3 will be a loooong while yet though
#5 - Noni
I think Im gona buy it !

"jumps around"

do you think me having my first driving lesson today has anything to do with it?

lol
Aha, sudden interest in cars?
#7 - joen
just don't drive like in LFS on your first lesson
#8 - Noni
I kind of did lol! Tried to cut corners and slammed on the brakes :P!

Anyway, who notices something different under my name!

See you on the race track guys!
#9 - joen
Oh you had the lesson already? Cool
Congrats on the license, that was fast!
#10 - Noni
Yeah, lookout for a thread about how I regret the purchase soon illepall.

lol!
#11 - Noni
Guys a few questions-

Whenever I go to the server browser, the screen goes into windowed mode. I can switch from window mode to normal with shift+f4 but how do I keep it hole?

I expected more servers, which ones are popular?

How do I assign all the keys? (cant find some in the controls).

How do I get skins?

How do I get setups?
When you click on multiplayer select no for "Window On Connecting' or something.

Lots of servers are popular, but mostly after 5pm UK time during the week. Have a look tonight and see how busy it can be.

Which keys? Some you can't change, others you can.

In Options, Misc select Auto Skin Downloading. This downloads other peoples skins onto your skins_x folder. Don't copy them from there though, as they may be private skins. If you want your own skins, there are public skins on this forum and Masterskinnerz (see sig for link).

Inferno has the biggest collection of 'WR' setups, but you might find them a bit twitchy. The link is again in my sig below. Try asking (nicely) for setups online - you know you'll have received one when a little yellow S appears on the connections list next to the senders name (press N to get the connection list). Click that yellow S to save the setup, and apply it in the garage.

Hope this helps.
#13 - Jakg
Quote from Noni :Guys a few questions-

Whenever I go to the server browser, the screen goes into windowed mode. I can switch from window mode to normal with shift+f4 but how do I keep it hole?

How do I get skins?

How do I get setups?

on the screen where it says "display list of games" it also says "window while connecting" underneath the Demo/S1/S2 selector, set this to "No"

Expected more? how many do you have? remember they get more popular at night ie 6 pm uk time is when things start getting busy

Which keys do you mean?

You can download skins from the forum, to apply them look in my sig

to get setups just put them in LFS/Data/Settings and then they will appear in game, if someone sends you one just press the greeen "S" next to their name

Hope that helps!

Bah, Tristan beat me, and this time i didnt enjoy it

How do I get skins?

How do I get setups?

There is an option to turn "window while connecting" off.
Popular combos are FOX@SO1, GTR@AS3 (*sigh*)
Don't know what you mean.
You will download skins automatically by default.
Ask for sets nicely but not right after connecting (well I for one don't like it)

Have miles of fun with S2 btw

edit: Beaten... let's see who got it right
Quote :I kind of did lol! Tried to cut corners and slammed on the brakes :P!

Anyway, who notices something different under my name!

See you on the race track guys!

Take care on those driving lessons! While LFS is pretty realistic, it cannot teach you day to day driving. It might train your muscle memory to do the right things in the right time if you encounter extreme situations like losing traction, but please don't think that driving in real life means driving on the edge all the time (or actually, at any time).

In reality, driving consists of
  • Basic car control
  • Car control in extreme situations
  • Driving in a manner to avoid extreme situations wherever possible
  • Situational awareness
The first one is easy and kind of a prerequisite for all other points, and it's also the first thing you'll learn in driving school. The second one, depending on what law dictates, will NOT be taught practically or only in a very basic form. The last two points are the hardest and most important ones. It doesn't help you at all when you have excellent car control but get a panic attack when approaching a roundabout. Driving good means being able to control the car AND at the same time understanding the traffic rules.

What LFS can do, is giving the right hints on point #2. It might improve situational awareness a bit too, but not in a manner needed for driving in a city.
BLABLABLA ok I shutup now
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken

How do I get skins?

How do I get setups?

#1: Before you click the 'Display Servers' button, you should noticed a 'Windowed Yes/No' option at the top - click that to make it stay full screen.

#2: The ammount of servers depends on what time you race at, and what filters you might be using to search. I usually eliminate empty servers from the list. Popular servers depend on what type of racing you do. FM servers are popular for oval races, but you need to know what you are doing before you go on them. dSRC servers are where I go the most as im a team member, but we are willing to help out noobs like yourself if you ask nicely for setups and behave.

#3: Skins are downloaded automatically. You can Upload your skins onto www.lfsworld.net if you make your own and want people to be able to download them.

#4: Setups are sent in game, someone should talk you through it in-game.

I suggest you have a look in the begginers section of these forums if you have anymore questions. There are lots of stickies on the most popular questions so have a good read and search there first if you have more questions.

edit: It seems I got beaten by alot of people in a short space of time!
Quote from thisnameistaken :
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe
Kev beat me

not this time :P
Is there a BAD time to buy an LFS license?

LFS: recommended by the game's sole developer - what more could you want?
Hey Noni do you mind if add your post to my signature? I thought it was such a sweet idea to think S3 might be out next week or month instead of a couple of years what we're looking at. No harm intented whatsoever!
I think it's safe to say S3 is still a year or two away.
#22 - Noni
Quote from spankmeyer :Hey Noni do you mind if add your post to my signature? I thought it was such a sweet idea to think S3 might be out next week or month instead of a couple of years what we're looking at. No harm intented whatsoever!

Not all at! Wow im famous!

Thanks for the wealth of replys, great community here. I hope to see you all tonight then !
#23 - axus
Quote from Fonnybone :I think it's safe to say S3 is still a year or two away.

I think even that's ambitious... S3 Alpha maybe, but will the devs be wanting to go back to hearing shitty arguments about LFS, saying its rubbish "beacuse its still Alpha"? I doubt it, I think they'll minimize that period of time. I think S3 is atleast 3 years away. The longer the journey, the better anyway.
You pay now 24 for S2 and add 12 for S3 which makes 36 spent all together.
Or you wait and pay 36 for S3.

Where is the dilema?
#25 - joen
Quote from kurent :You pay now 24 for S2 and add 12 for S3 which makes 36 spent all together.
Or you wait and pay 36 for S3.

Where is the dilema?

there is none obviously considering he bought it

Ok to buy a license now?
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG