The online racing simulator
Are you for or against ? [custom tracks]
Are you for or against? the creation of tracks mods in lfs other than the original of the simulator i won't lie i love lfs i have always wanted it well and you what do you think of a race and tracks that users will create as well as the mods released in lfs
Attached images
screenshot092.jpg
I wouldn't mind seeing custom tracks in the game sometime in the future. Although i think it may need a different approach than what was done with car mods. I think only well-known modders with good reviews on car mods should be able to create and publish custom tracks.

That way we know that its not going to be a track ripped off from another game. Anyway, there's no need to brainstorm this yet as Scawen is already in the middle of something completely different.
Quote from kristofferandersen :I wouldn't mind seeing custom tracks in the game sometime in the future. Although i think it may need a different approach than what was done with car mods. I think only well-known modders with good reviews on car mods should be able to create and publish custom tracks.

That way we know that its not going to be a track ripped off from another game. Anyway, there's no need to brainstorm this yet as Scawen is already in the middle of something completely different.

Another way it could be done, and this is also just me brainstorming. Say that all tracks were available for single player use. Then you could have a voting system in place for which 3 tracks would be put up for multiplayer use during the following week. Something like that?

I think the tracks file size could be kept down if they had a similar texture size limitation as the car mods for a few custom textures, but are also allowed to re-use existing game files for things like grass and roads.
I'm new here but I think this idea is great. But this issue can be abused. It may cause performance loss in players. Many games get stuck due to mods anyway. Even if I play the game at 500-300fps, my game sometimes lags. Although CPU-GPU is not throttled. These are because of mods. I can't even imagine custom maps being made. I think the layouts are enough for us. The new map can be nice, but only if the developers make it.
#5 - gu3st
Against mostly becuase I doubt any tracks will be build from scratch, it'll be attempts to rip from other games (which is what most track mods in other games are).
in theory cool idea and i would love to try and design a track personally.

but realistically speaking, i can see majority of them being ripped from other games or poorly optimized/designed.

i would much rather see more official track environments, which are properly integrated with LFSW for PBs, hotlaps etc.
Quote from juliao :Are you for or against? the creation of tracks mods in lfs other than the...

I'd like the idea of having new tracks even if modded, since I pretty much played everything in lfs, but at the same time I agree with johneysvk, modded tracks will unlikely be added to the lfs world system;pb, WR, stats, hotlaps wont be a thing in the modded tracks and I'm all down for official releases for that reason. Maybe theres a solution to that, kind of like trackmania. In trackmania players can make their own tracks and their system that counts PB, WR's works just fine.
I'm for, but only because of 'lacking' content for bigger tracks.
AS4/5, KY2/3, SO4/r and WE2 is the only tracks really suited for longer races and faster cars, so it would be great to have some additions to those venues.

Simply having another Paul Ricard or Spa Franchochamps wouldn't do it for me in LFS.
Would create even more copyright issues etc. I think it's a great idea, but yet another thing for the devs to worry about.

I seem to remember it is something Scawen planned for the future, maybe once the tyre physics and the graphics are done, correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote from Scawen :We have just released a huge system "vehicle mods" and it is not finished. So we are not doing major changes to the layout editor, or going to release a track editor in any imaginable time frame.

Feel free to search more posts regarding this matter,but there is currently nothing that points about intentions to release the track editor in near future.

As much as I would like more quality tracks for racing (have ideas of my own I would try to attempt),releasing full track editor would surely open another can of worms while devs together with volunteer mod reviewers are dealing with the worms crawling out of other can (known as car mods) - legal issues,quality issues,decisions what can be published,what not...

Clearly said I'm not against user created tracks,but I'm worried about problems that could come with those...
For one developer to create and update all tracks and create additional tracks is a lot of work. Yea the quality is top notch, but even these tracks get old eventually and LFS physics are just too good to not be experienced on custom tracks.

Yes we have a layout editor with concrete blocks, but those are very dull and boring looking, almost textureless and looks like lego blocks. Some people have created impressive layouts using concrete blocks, but visually it's very primitive looking, not to mention bumpy and slippery concrete slabs.
It works for the most part but i just wish we had more objects to play with, bigger limit, scenery objects like trees to place so the layout doesn't look so plain and empty. Chalk, bigger chalk lines? Those eat a lot of objects because of how short they are.
Sometimes i feel creative so i load up LFS, but then i get unmotivated pretty fast because i just can't build the layout i want.
Can't even do rally cross layouts because there is no surface to support that.

I think even some sort of primitive level building tool would be enough for a start. Like building inside the 4x4km area of LA but ability to actually place roads, buildings, trees, etc.

As an artist and creator i'd love to create something special for LFS. Tilt
Quote from gu3st :Against mostly becuase I doubt any tracks will be build from scratch, it'll be...

But it's the same case with cars...

Simple solution... Creator should prove that it's his work.

IMO custom tracks is a must in the future because it will open full potential of this game. Even if we gona have 1000 quality cars, many people will be bored someday with limited maps choice.
Quote from pärtan :Another way it could be done, and this is also just me brainstorming. Say that all tracks were available for single player use. Then you could have a voting system in place for which 3 tracks would be put up for multiplayer use during the following week. Something like that?

And maybe those tracks that are voted regularly week on week just get added permanently?

I think it might work.

I think the team behind the reviewing of the mods are doing a great job, I think this is the only way to procede with custom tracks if they are implemented. New tracks would breathe fresh life to LFS that the mods also have but I do wonder what the criteria for an accepted track would be.

I wonder if the criteria should be that it HAS to be an original design such as the tracks that exist in LFS as it is? Then you would avoid many issues with copyright or absolute accuracy and plagiarism of other peoples work.

But yea, as others mentioned optimisation is a factor also. LFS is beautiful in how streamlined it runs with no issues even for people on lower end systems. I get the feeling that many tracks created will follow the path of "I optimized this for the absolute best consumer PC money can buy and everyone else can get fkd"

Many players of this game are from places where financially a hardware upgrade is so much more of a percentage of their income than in other places. So it really is critical to keep the optimization streamlined with the rest of the game as it is.
Quote from Drifteris :For one developer to create and update all tracks and create additional tracks is a lot of work. Yea the quality is top notch, but even these tracks get old eventually and LFS physics are just too good to not be experienced on custom tracks.

Yes we have a layout editor with concrete blocks, but those are very dull and boring looking, almost textureless and looks like lego blocks. Some people have created impressive layouts using concrete blocks, but visually it's very primitive looking, not to mention bumpy and slippery concrete slabs.
It works for the most part but i just wish we had more objects to play with, bigger limit, scenery objects like trees to place so the layout doesn't look so plain and empty. Chalk, bigger chalk lines? Those eat a lot of objects because of how short they are.
Sometimes i feel creative so i load up LFS, but then i get unmotivated pretty fast because i just can't build the layout i want.
Can't even do rally cross layouts because there is no surface to support that.

I think even some sort of primitive level building tool would be enough for a start. Like building inside the 4x4km area of LA but ability to actually place roads, buildings, trees, etc.

As an artist and creator i'd love to create something special for LFS. Tilt

This is a good idea also. With the layout pad[map] we have, the ability to create dirt surfaces on top of that would be great for creating custom RX layouts and would alleviate a lot of the desire for fully custom tracks. More tools so the tracks can be made with the layout editor is a positive direction without doubt.
Quote from BlueFlame :
I wonder if the criteria should be that it HAS to be an original design such as the tracks that exist in LFS as it is? Then you would avoid many issues with copyright or absolute accuracy and plagiarism of other peoples work.

rFactor 1 and 2 had unlicenced copies of existing tracks for years so I don't think that maps inspired by real track will be an issue. By "inspired" I mean real course with fantasy enviroment around it etc.

Today creators have acces to great technology and some mod tracks in other games are real LIDAR scans.
Quote from versiu :Simple solution... Creator should prove that it's his work.

There is even simpler solution - no import options of any 3D objects. Everything has to be made in the track editor,only textures can be imported. Of course these might start problems too...
Quote from Eclipsed :There is even simpler solution - no import options of any 3D objects. Everything...

and spend a lot more time on making map? nope...
Quote from versiu :and spend a lot more time on making map? nope...

Yeah people might have to do more work than just ripping from other sims.
Quote from gu3st :Yeah people might have to do more work than just ripping from other sims.

Please tell me that u kidding because I will need to do facepalm otherwise...

It's 2024, not 1990. We have A LOT OF TOOLS

And beyond that people do scans arelady.

My local race track (Tor Białystok) was scanned, well photographed and made into Assetto Corsa. It's the case for many mod maps today...
Maybe it's a RIP from other game? Maybe Woliborz-Jodłownik stage in RBR is a RIP? xD
Quote from versiu :Please tell me that u kidding because I will need to do facepalm otherwise...

It's 2024, not 1990. We have A LOT OF TOOLS

And beyond that people do scans arelady.

My local race track (Tor Białystok) was scanned, well photographed and made into Assetto Corsa. It's the case for many mod maps today...
Maybe it's a RIP from other game? Maybe Woliborz-Jodłownik stage in RBR is a RIP? xD

Just becuase a few good tracks are created from scratch doesn't mean the majority of tracks that end up in other games aren't copyright infringmenet from other sims.
Quote from gu3st :Just becuase a few good tracks are created from scratch doesn't mean the...

"few"

It's screen from RaceDepartment where u can't put riped crap...
Attached images
Bez tytułu.png
Quote from versiu :"few"

It's screen from RaceDepartment where u can't put riped crap...

That's pretty much a drop in the ocean, there is hundreds of sites hosting track/car mods for AC that go unchecked. For example, i think you know reason why the vastly popular SRP Wangan will never be posted on RD? Tilt It'll always happen, there is always someone who will want to put the least effort humanly possible to enjoy favourite tracks or using them to boost ego or anything else in between.

Even BeamNG has a lot of mods with ripped models that will never get posted in the official repository but are hosted in other various sites Big grin And i'm fine with people personally using them but using these rips for profit is where i would draw the line.

I don't deny there is a lot of modders that create amazing things from scratch, but they are very outnumbered in comparison to the amount of people that just take the shortest path possible.
Quote from nikopdr :For example, i think you know reason why the vastly popular SRP Wangan will never be posted on RD? Tilt It'll always happen, there is always someone who will want to put the least effort humanly possible to enjoy favourite tracks or using them to boost ego or anything else in between.

1. Many AC modders don't like to put their mods in big repositories and want to promote their own socials.
2. Give me name of source game because last racing game with similar map was from PS2 era... That map doesn't look like PS2 era.

Anyway that's EOT to me because everything has been told.

Today we have acces to amazing tools and making good map from scrath is less time consuming. Throwing that away will force people to spend a lot more time. That's kind of waste and it isn't a good idea.
Maybe just forbid to use assets downloaded from internet because that gona be a nightmare to verify. Original work only and good proof of that work.
Quote from versiu :1. Many AC modders don't like to put their mods in big repositories and want to promote their own socials.
2. Give me name of source game because last racing game with similar map was from PS2 era... That map doesn't look like PS2 era.

Anyway that's EOT to me because everything has been told.

Today we have acces to amazing tools and making good map from scrath is less time consuming. Throwing that away will force people to spend a lot more time. That's kind of waste and it isn't a good idea.
Maybe just forbid to use assets downloaded from internet because that gona be a nightmare to verify. Original work only and good proof of that work.

https://wanganmaxi-official.com/

It is very plausible some assets used with SRP project are from these arcade games which have much more modern rendition of the famous parts but i don't think it includes parking areas such as daikoku futo(but then again i havent followed any of this close and heard some accusations a long time ago, can't really find these models if i wanted also to compare with so for me they are just accusations still)

But yea i've also enjoyed driving it around a lot and tbh its probably one of the better free roam places to drive fast and have some challenge as well Big grin

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG