The online racing simulator
Allow UDP to change to TCP without being online
Pretty simple request as the title says.

Allow users to switch to TCP only mode before connecting to a server. My internet from a 5g home gateway is plenty fast and stable enough to use for online game play in every other game I play so it would be nice to be able to continue playing LFS online without having to switch to a different ISP.

@Scawen?
Why does your ISP block you UDP on 5G? And are you rly sure this protocol is being blocked? Never heard of mobile internet players not able to connect due to udp requirement. Are you sure it's not something else?
Quote from CRAAACH :Why does your ISP block you UDP on 5G? And are you rly sure this protocol is being blocked? Never heard of mobile internet players not able to connect due to udp requirement. Are you sure it's not something else?

That would be a good question to ask T-Mobile. Tech support will likely not be able to help me, already using a standalone router. Worked fine until I switched to T-Mobile and looking back in the forums in 2017 it was an issue for others using mobile internet but the mobile internet is much better now compared to 2017. It only fails on the UDP Handshake, downloads mods, skins, helmets, fails at the last point of connection with the udp packet. You can turn it off, but only after connecting.
Quote from CRAAACH :Why does your ISP block you UDP on 5G? And are you rly sure this protocol is being blocked? Never heard of mobile internet players not able to connect due to udp requirement. Are you sure it's not something else?

connecting through a vpn solves the issues so clearly a t-mobile block. Wish we could change this on the LFS level so I do not have to use a vpn.
Rather interesting from T-Mobile to pull things like that off but seems like they have blocked UDP traffic almost completely Big grin

You can use CTRL + T to change to TCP packets in the server list before you connect to any server, hope that works instead of having to hassle with VPN just to connect to a server
I thought there was a Key Combo for this but it appears the host has to receive UDP packets. I still get a Host did not receive UDP packet. Bummer, I may just stop playing LFS, not going to change back to an ISP that charges way too much.
Nothing from the devs, guess my time playing LFS comes to an end. Tragic that we can accommodate slower and older PCs but not more connection paths.
#8 - gu3st
Is it possible perhaps to use a VPN to tunnel UDP?

Some ISP in EU has been having issues with UDP and so some iRacers have taken to using Proton VPN (even free tier) to bypass this.
My latency seems to be affected with the usage of a VPN. Prior, I would have around 130-150 STABLE. Now through Proton, I bounce in the 200-300 range. Sad.
Taking into accpunt how VPNs work, it is quite expectable to get increased ping.
Yup! and I have played online with a 200-300 ping. Frown don't touch them if you want to live.
eh it depends on what your connection path is with the VPN. Some VPNs can improve ping by using a more optimal/less congested route for traffic

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG