The online racing simulator
Why openning of attachment takes so long?
Hi,

I am curious why the openning of attachement is so slow when the forum seems quite fast.
Is there a slow net connection to the forum server? If the access speed when I am downloading would be at least 100-200KB/sec it would be much better.

I checked the download speed of forum and it is sitting around 50KB/sec.
#2 - filur
I'd be happy to get 50kb/s, the forum is obviously bandwidth limited, which is fine, but it does seem a bit extreme.

Average speed of forum attachements for me is 8kb/s, reminds me a bit of using the internet - 5-6 years ago.
Attached images
lfs-bandwidth.png
Sorry...was wrong looking.Its even worse as its about 35KB/sec.That means that opening nice edited screenshots get sometimes up to 15-20seconds.Thats in my opinion too much.
#4 - Renku
Could be faster, but it's not a problem for me.
#5 - Gunn
A bit faster would be nice. Many times I abort the loading of an image because it is taking too long.
#6 - SamH
I think it's lessons learned, since April's release. The forum pretty well buckled under the strain in the days leading up to the patch, and following that the devs took some measures to prevent that happening again.

I don't know anything about the hosting of the server/s, but I'm under the impression that they're on a fairly limited pipe. 1 or 2 MB perhaps. For normal, day-to-day serving of the forums, LFSWorld etc, that's perfectly adequate, but when big things happen the devs realised they need to slim down the bandwidth demand. Avatars disappear, attachments disappear or get heavily throttled, signatures vanish and so on.

It's possible that the devs have forgotten to increase the bandwidth throttle on attachments since things lightened up, or it might be that the throttle is as tight as it is because it IS as much as they can handle, to maintain the performance of the forums.
#7 - ORION
-lfsworld, the skins, lfs.net are on one host
-the forum is on another host, where bandwidth/traffic isnt the problem. Vic said it's mostly reaching the maxconns from apache and high cpu load.
Maybe they are trying to limit the connections by limiting the pipe. I dont think it's 1 or 2 MB though. 10Mbit at least.
i'm looking into it. Haven't got an answer at this time. It's not to do with forum limiting or so though. It has to be on the techincal side I'm starting to think.

To be continued ...
A faulty switch caused a lot of network errors. We're on another switch now and i just got 1mb/s download, so all should be much better now.
uhm, dunno what to say - now it's back to being slow again. Will have to look again
Back to very very fast again.........at least for me.

Thanks Vic.
no it's not ok yet - it'll be early next week

I'm still getting around 50kb/s while i should be getting 1mb/s

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG