The online racing simulator
PRISM-NG
(4 posts, started )
Quote from Dygear :@ScottLy You now have commit rights to Dygear/PRISM on GitHub.

I did come across a notice on GitHub indicating that something had expired. I would appreciate it if you could provide more details or guidance on this matter. Additionally, I'm interested in understanding the current state of the project and any ongoing efforts.

My focus has been on thoroughly testing the 0.6.1 release, starting from the official release point rather than the latest GitHub commits. The goal is to assess its compatibility with the latest PHP version, specifically PHP 8.2.

As I re-engage with the project, I am keen on fostering community involvement. If there are specific areas that require attention, or if you have insights on potential improvements, I would be grateful for your input.
Great
I am reaching out to discuss a structured approach to the update and maintenance of the PRISM project, aiming to enhance its functionality, address existing bugs, and ensure compatibility with newer PHP versions.

Current State:
The proposal suggests initiating the process by revisiting PRISM's 0.6.1 release. This step involves a comprehensive bug-checking exercise within modules and plugins, with the goal of identifying and rectifying any existing issues.

Proposed Methodology:

Bug Fixing:

A detailed examination of modules and plugins in the 0.6.1 release to identify and address existing bugs systematically.
A phased release of newer versions, each addressing specific bug categories, thereby ensuring a thorough bug-fixing process.
Version Update:

A meticulous upgrade of the Insim version in a step-by-step manner, ensuring compatibility and optimal performance with each incremental update.
Integration of New PHP Features:

Implementation of features introduced in PHP 7 and 8, leveraging their capabilities to enhance PRISM's functionality.
Adoption of modern coding practices to align with the evolving PHP landscape.
Community Involvement:
I welcome active participation from the community in this initiative. Your insights, feedback, and bug reports will be invaluable in shaping the direction of PRISM's development.

Acknowledging PHP User Base:
While acknowledging that the PHP user base has evolved, I believe there is still a considerable number of users relying on PHP. This initiative aims to cater to their needs and provide an updated and robust PRISM experience.

Conclusion:
The proposed approach is designed to breathe new life into PRISM, ensuring its relevance in contemporary PHP environments. Your collaboration and support are crucial for the success of this endeavor.

I invite you to share your thoughts, suggestions, and bug reports as we embark on this journey to rejuvenate and modernize the PRISM project.
Quote from ScottLy :I did come across a notice on GitHub indicating that something had expired. I would appreciate it if you could provide more details or guidance on this matter. Additionally, I'm interested in understanding the current state of the project and any ongoing efforts.

Your invite expired. I have resent it.

Quote from ScottLy :My focus has been on thoroughly testing the 0.6.1 release, starting from the official release point rather than the latest GitHub commits. The goal is to assess its compatibility with the latest PHP version, specifically PHP 8.2.

As I re-engage with the project, I am keen on fostering community involvement. If there are specific areas that require attention, or if you have insights on potential improvements, I would be grateful for your input.

I think PRISM is due for a re-write. T3 and Zen did a lot of work that never got merged in that does a much better job of using PHP namespaces than I ever did with this project at the time. With things like Named Arguments (huge deal), Constructor Property Promotion, Match Expression (adore these in rust, glad these made to jump to PHP), Nullsafe Operator (cleaner code), Enumerations, Fibers, New in initializers are at the top of the list that would transform the code base today into something much cleaner.

I've never written a fiber before, but that's not the hard part, the hard part is building the event loop to make sure it doesn't miss anything. I don't think that's very well documented at this point on how to actually do that in PHP code. But that could for sure make an interesting underpinning of the engine.

PRISM-NG
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG