The online racing simulator
More indepth suspension modding
I know the devs have their hands full but they have been surprising us before with cool stuff. So I'm wondering if there is any plan to expand on the control we have over suspension geometry, allowing more suspension types with suspension arm locations place able in 3 dimensions. Allowing things like:

Multi link
semi trailing arm
Live axle with panhard bar or watts link
Toe curves
Anti dive/anti squat
non symmetric uprights for double wishbone
manual steering rack placement

I have a feeling the physics engine is more than capable to handle all of this if you let it loose Smile
And granted, it would make it harder to build a coherent suspension but the current 2D system could still be left there as an option.
+++
Quote from Scawen :We plan to fix the bugs and continue developing the Scirocco suspension

Quote from Scawen :In real life, the suspension geometry is designed to produce an anti-dive effect under braking and anti-squat under acceleration. This has until now been absent from the LFS suspension systems, but now looks like an important development to support the realistic setups.

Quote from book Tune to Win by Carroll Smith :There are two types of anti-dive front suspension.
The first, illustrated by A, uses brake torque reaction through the suspension links, which are convergently inclined toward the c.g. location in side elevation, to reduce orcancel the diving tendency.
If the point of convergence of the extended wishbone pivot axes intersects a line drawn from the tire contact patch to the c.g. of the sprung mass, then the torque reaction will cancel out the diving moment and we will have 100% anti-dive.
If, for example, we should determine that we want 50% anti-dive, then the line extended from the contact patch through the wishbone axes convergence point would intersect a perpendicular dropped from the c.g. to the track surface at a point halfway between the c.g. and the ground.
The alternative method, illustrated by C is to maintain the wishbone pivot axes parallel to each other and to incline them both downward toward the front. What happens here is that, under braking, the inertia of the sprung mass tries to rotate the sprung mass about the front wheels.
The inclined pivot axes from an inclined plane which forces the wishbones into the droop position which effectively lifts the front of the vehicle.
In this case, to achieve 100% anti-dive, the wishbone pivot axes must be parallel to the line drawn between the tire contact patch and the c.g.
We are using the inertia of the sprung mass to jack up the front of the car.
At the rear, the problem with vertical load transfer under acceleration is chassis squat with its attendant negative camber.
It can be resisted by anti-squat suspension linkage.
The same two methods apply, converging the pivot axes toward the c.g. or inclining them upward toward the front.
Once more we are resisting the natural downward force of load transfer with a reactive upward thrust so it is possible to lose sensitivity and get into tire patter and the like if too much anti-squat is employed.

Given the above, I assume a three-dimensional suspension is now a necessity.
Attached images
a-d_a-s.jpg
My uneducated guess is that the suspension already is 3-dimensional in simulation (an A-arm consisting of two constrains in a V shape) but that there is no adjustability for it. This would in theory make anti-dive and anti-squat an easy implementation.

Whether or not the steering is simulated with tie rods, I also don't know for sure, but I would guess not because of how perfect the steering behaves in all situations.
Bump with more suggestions.

Allowing front Mac Pherson suspension where the strut is not in line with the steering axis line.
Most real cars are setup in such a way, and it produce a different camber curve.

When the strut compress in this configuration, the angle between the wheel axis and SAI line changes. This is not the case with the setup in LFS where the strut is always inline with the steering axis.

And just to add some visuals to previously mentioned suggestions.
Here is an example of an asymmetric upright, found in cars like Honda Civic 4 5 6 gen, Toyota altezza, chaser, but probably many more.
Attached images
Namnlös.png
Namnlös.png
Namnlös.png
Namnlös.png

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG