The online racing simulator
Exhaust sounds
(27 posts, started )
Exhaust sounds
I haven´t actually see a conversation about this.Exhaust pop sounds and other sounds that racing cars makes.. Personally for me these savage sounds of tuned racing cars ,in real life also formulas are really sounding cruel when slowing down.. banging so much... and these sounds makes the feeling.. at least for me.. why doesn´t lfs contain these sounds? as I see all other modern simulations have these sounds.. When you get these sounds I will buy this game..
+1. I put them into a very simple proof of concept game I was making and it really brought everything to life. They're very easy to add too, provided you have a few backfire sound samples with a bit of variety.
Bad excuse for not bying

But yeah, I agree. LFS needs better sounds and fix the sound distances which are way too short, you can't hear a F1 hitting to limiter from 12 meters The loudness is not a hard thing to calculate, can't remember what was the formula...but if I can do it it can't be that hard
Quote :and fix the sound distances which are way too short

I've found my playing experience is greatly improved since setting engine volume to 2.0 in the sound options creen, it does improve range - but having experienced real racing and heard F1 cars screaching down Hanger Straight from as far away as Luffield - so yeah, I do agree.
oh deffinetly; i remember back when we partly owned road atlanta; and surely even now, you can be sitting in the pits, and hear cars roar down the back straight.. and thats through trees and stuff, its impressive
And if we really had that ROARRRR I BITE YOU!!!! type of noices like some cars have in real life you could sit on pits and enjoy the sounds
i even hear daily cars drive down this road across from the river...

hm.. google earth time to see how far away that is..

.32 miles

.. so.. i can hear daily cars drive down a road that are half a kilometer away.. sound deffinetly travels lol
these are the slightly louder cars and motorcycles though; only during the night can i really hear them, during the day .. for some reason i never hear them that well
Quote : for some reason i never hear them that well

Sound travels better in cold air. (which could explain LFS' silent nature - as there's no weather system yet maybe we're in a super-inferno heatwave).
Quote from XCNuse :i even hear daily cars drive down this road across from the river...

hm.. google earth time to see how far away that is..

.32 miles

.. so.. i can hear daily cars drive down a road that are half a kilometer away.. sound deffinetly travels lol
these are the slightly louder cars and motorcycles though; only during the night can i really hear them, during the day .. for some reason i never hear them that well

their are less cars distracting you
no its.. not the cars, i think its your giant signature

..it takes up my whole window

.. wow.. lol it really does haha
Quote from Becky Rose :Sound travels better in cold air. (which could explain LFS' silent nature - as there's no weather system yet maybe we're in a super-inferno heatwave).

Right illepall

edit. Btw, in LFS it's about 21 degrees of celsius
i can hear road noise n motorbikes from 3 miles away noisey buggers
Quote :Right illepall

I'm pretty sure it's right, although i'm not a scientist and cant be bothered looking for a link to proove the point. Saw it on discovery channel one ill-day off work once.

Quote :edit. Btw, in LFS it's about 21 degrees of celsius

Isn't the track temperature 21 C? If so the air temperature would likely be around 17-18 or so, depending on the tarmac compound of course, tarmac is a poor heat conductor and therefore retains heat better than air which pretty much just lets heat travel right through it - which is good all things considered, else there would be no life on this planet.
My "right" was for the heatwave as a joke offcourse

If you let the tires cool down in stationary they will go down to 21 or something like you know. How I put this in english, well I try. Temperatures should get even in real life, they get balanced and heat transfers between objects. If you put a hot steel wire to cold water, the water warms up and the wire cools down, and their temperatures eventually get balanced and are the same. It should be the same with tire and arounding world, but offcourse the tire doesn't heat up anything so you could feel it any further than few sentimeters. But the tire will have the same temperature than it's surroundings. Assuming all this is in LFS, which it looks like, the temperature should be the 21 (or whatever it was). And I think track temperature isn't modelled yet, because that should mean you had warmer spots in the tires, or if it is it means the heat travels trough the tire like it shouln't. And it seems like it doesn't in other situations.

And oh, what we were originally talking about anyway?

Oh yes, ROOOAAAARRRRRR*KABUM*RRR!
+
gah.. you cant even friggen spell the number 8

jeeese...
Quote from Blackout :...

You are right about the water, but are (Edit: air, see how late it is? -_-)temperature isn't the same as ground temperature. The tires won't be the same as the air, completely, because it touches the ground, and the ground is a lot hotter (tarmac is anyways) than air. Try running down a road on bare feet when it's 35°, I really wanna see you run

I'm not sure, but I think I just said something pointless again and stupid, but it's late!
Holy cow I just had an idea, I think I see a way to add exhausts sounds as a mod but it needs outguage or whatever it is...

Well it just so happens I have to get my head around UDP networking for some other projects I need to do soon, so something like this might prove a useful small little proof of concept thing for me to work with and learn about UDP network packets (I've only used TCP/IP and Direct Play methods previously - although quite extensively).

So, er, i'll keep you posted
Yea, I didn't understand one bit of that!

I have that a lot when reading your posts becky *has a flashback*
I could hear Jaguar's Formula 1 car in 2004 at about 5 kms.

In the middle of Sao Paulo!

So those buggers are loud as hell... food for thought.
For the record, at a point in LFS's developpement you could hear the cars from further away but I believe it had been decided that the sounds would cut off on cars a certain distance from you because you wouldn't hear them while racing anyways, and the sounds being generated on the fly, it cuts on CPU load.

+1 for the suggestion of exhaust sounds tho.
#23 - wark
I'm surprised no one's linked to that BRM Type 15 MKII supercharged 1496cc 135º V-16 mp3 as they are so wont. The mic is in the pits and you can hear the car the whole way around the track.

I'd expect more sounds in S3.
wonder if anyone even has that thing anymore (well.. the video that is)

nothing on youtube..
#25 - wark
there was a video that went with it? =o

Exhaust sounds
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG