The online racing simulator
Concerning the HUD
(15 posts, started )
Concerning the HUD
Sorry to put another suggestion up.

On the bottom RIGHT of our screen we have the running order display (for lack of a better name). It serves it's purpose quite well, but it leaves a little to be desired.

My first suggestion is for it to show what lap somebody is on (at least the leader). Whenever I join a race after it's started I'm always wondering how many laps are left, with this on the display I could look to see what lap the leader is on. It doesn't need to show other drivers. But if it did; it would let you know whether to push to try to reach the next driver, or if you could take it easy if you had more than a lap to the next guy behind.

My other suggestion is for races where a pit stop is compulsory. When somebody completes their pit stop, the bar behind their name turns green. For long races, holding a key down would change the lap counter to a pit counter.

Another thing I'd like to see is a change in the way gaps are measured. At the moment, if there is a split between yourself and another driver you aren't shown the time gap. I'd like to see the time between me and another driver, regardless of splits in between.

I've attached a picture to show what the first two ideas could look like.
Attached images
HUD.jpg
Nice Idea! very nice.

It's realy a problem. When you join in race. And sometimes when you join, you don't know the system. Is there a forced pitstop, or not. So you could include this, too, with making different colors the PSC (Pit Stop Counter) number. (e.g. a red 0 for a not made forced pitstop)

I've heart that in one league a driver in first possition have had a big accident caused of this pitstop massege in this kind of chat. This would be a smart idea to improve it.

Nice Nice Nice

The forced pitstop question can be answered by pressing F12, if you need to pit you'll see it written in red
#4 - filur
Quote from spookthehamster :.. look to see what lap the leader is on.

+1, although you could just tab to his car for a second or two.

Quote from spookthehamster :When somebody completes their pit stop, the bar behind their name turns green. For long races, holding a key down would change the lap counter to a pit counter.

-1, not knowing if people have stopped or not is part of the challenge.
Quote from filur :+1, although you could just tab to his car for a second or two.

That's not always possible in a busy race. IRL, things like this would be displayed on a pit board, which we don't (but should) have. GPL had one, it doesn't have to be fancy.
#6 - filur
Quote from spookthehamster :That's not always possible in a busy race.

If you join mid-race surely you'll have time to find out which lap they're on before actually joining?
You can find out what lap somebody is on by querying the server from the server list in game, but not once you've joined. Would be useful IMO. +1

Ref the attached image: what's this, DJTCC caught online? not seem him online in ages.
+1 from me too for the lap counter.

I always query the server before I join now, just to get an idea of how long is left to wait, but this would get me into the action quicker.

As for the pit stop thing, it'd be nice if there was something onscreen all the time to say whether or not I still needed to pit or not, because on particularly twisty tracks it's not always easy to find the F12 key
But I agree that you probably shouldn't be told about other people's pit strategies.

+0.5 then I guess
Quote from spookthehamster :
Another thing I'd like to see is a change in the way gaps are measured. At the moment, if there is a split between yourself and another driver you aren't shown the time gap. I'd like to see the time between me and another driver, regardless of splits in between.

There's a setting under Options, Display, "Overall Times Display" relative or absolute. Unless I misunderstand your point, you can change that here.
And here i was thinking that was the bottom right :hide:
My suggestion for an option for the running list for those who like a minimal HUD would be a display of the car in front and behind you on the road and the gap to them. Cars lapping you displayed in green, cars you're lapping in blue and those racing for position colourless like a simplified N2003 F2 screen. Also it would be nice if it could show up in shift + F along with blue/yellow flags displayed in that corner of the screen.
Quote from sil3ntwar :And here i was thinking that was the bottom right :hide:

Damn you!
Quote from ajp71 :My suggestion for an option for the running list for those who like a minimal HUD would be a display of the car in front and behind you on the road and the gap to them. Cars lapping you displayed in green, cars you're lapping in blue and those racing for position colourless like a simplified N2003 F2 screen. Also it would be nice if it could show up in shift + F along with blue/yellow flags displayed in that corner of the screen.

+1: it would be nice to have a smaller display for the gaps.
Quote :When somebody completes their pit stop, the bar behind their name turns green. For long races, holding a key down would change the lap counter to a pit counter.

This information is always available to me in endurance races over the pit radio, it stands to reason that LFS should display it too,

A typical example:
Pit, "Your chasing Buzzin Hornets kart 8"
Me, "Split split split"
Pit, "+3 +3, no stops in hand"

Quote :My first suggestion is for it to show what lap somebody is on

What I would preffer is the existing relative splits to stay onscreen rather than just appear for a short time, and for the relative splits to be extended to show lap differential too, ie:

-3 Laps Leader 0pit
-2 Laps Second 1pit
-36.5s Third 1pit
Me
+20s Fifth 2pit

etc.
+1
+1
good idea.

Concerning the HUD
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG