The online racing simulator
number of unlocks
(38 posts, started )
number of unlocks
How many unlocks per month you get and whats the total number you can have? I was sure it was 3 but I only had 2 for the past several months and now 1 cuz I had use one for windows reinstall. illepall
#2 - Jakg
you start off with 3,but you can only ever have a maximum of 2 at any one time, you get 1 a month
Whats this unlock thing? What can i unlock?
#4 - Jakg
LFS - to get all the tracks and cars and S2 multiplayer
Does this mean I can't host a lanparty with 4 computers when only I pay?
Or can I do this by paying, then registering 3 computers, and the 4th one, one month later?
no, you can only have 3 unlocks running simultaneously, no more

ONLY over a LAN that that is capable though; you can't run 3 unlocks over the internet randomly
Quote from XCNuse :no, you can only have 3 unlocks running simultaneously, no more

ONLY over a LAN that that is capable though; you can't run 3 unlocks over the internet randomly

Sorry but I still don't get it.
Does this mean that I can play over a LAN network with 3 friends (4 computers in totall) from which I unlock 3 the first month, and the 4th the 2nd month?
However I may play only with three from the four computers on the INTERNET?

So I can have as many computers as I want unlocked on a LAN network, but only 3 of them may play on the INTERNET at thesame time?

Am I right or not?
Please excuse me for my n00bness in this area but I want to get this right before I buy a licence....

Kuba.
Quote from kuba.g :Sorry but I still don't get it.
Does this mean that I can play over a LAN network with 3 friends (4 computers in totall) from which I unlock 3 the first month, and the 4th the 2nd month?
However I may play only with three from the four computers on the INTERNET?

So I can have as many computers as I want unlocked on a LAN network, but only 3 of them may play on the INTERNET at thesame time?

Am I right or not?
Please excuse me for my n00bness in this area but I want to get this right before I buy a licence....

Kuba.

You can unlock any computers you want with your unlocks (depending on how many unlocks you have) but you can only use one at a time to go online!!
Quote from LFS Main Site :

3. Unlock Rules and Regulations
3.1 You may install S1 or S2 on 2 computers for your own use or to race a friend on a Local Network.
3.2 You will initially be able to unlock LFS S2 or later versions 3 times. This allows you to unlock on two computers and keep one spare unlock.
3.3 We recognise that people may buy a new computer or reinstall their operating system from time to time. For this reason, we will automatically give you an extra spare unlock every first day of the month, up to a maximum of 2 spare unlocks available. The number of unlocks you have left can be found on your status page.
3.4 You must not give your username, WEB or GAME password to other LFS users.

In conclusion:
  • You can unlock LFS on two different computers
  • You may race with one other person using the other computer on a Local Area Network (using the standard LAN IP range)
  • You may NOT at any time play over the internet with two computers using the same unlock
Quote from AndroidXP :In conclusion:
  • You can unlock LFS on two different computers
  • You may race with one other person using the other computer on a Local Area Network (using the standard LAN IP range)
  • You may NOT at any time play over the internet with two computers using the same unlock

Man that sucks I'm not buying it unless you can bypass this somehow.... :cry: :cry:

It's such a good game but why on earth am I not allowed to race against my friends when I pay the 24 pounds??
I'm not going to pay dubble the price to be able to race with 4 computers.

One customer less for LFS because of dumb terms of usage
Quote from kuba.g :Man that sucks I'm not buying it unless you can bypass this somehow.... :cry: :cry:

It's such a good game but why on earth am I not allowed to race against my friends when I pay the 24 pounds??

Why are they dumb?

They stop people buying one licence and allowing other people to use their accounts.
can always raise enough money between your friends and then.. get each your own license?
#13 - joen
Quote from kuba.g :Man that sucks I'm not buying it unless you can bypass this somehow.... :cry: :cry:

It's such a good game

Yes it is a great simulator, surely it's worth some money then right?

Quote :
but why on earth am I not allowed to race against my friends when I pay the 24 pounds??

Because then you would have paid for it, but your friends didn't.

Quote :

Then pay for one license and race online. That's how the game is meant to be played anyway.

Quote :

Can you name some other commercially available games that allow you to buy one copy and have it used by many more people? These terms of usage really aren't that different to those of any other games I know.
Some games (and software) say in the agreement that is, technically, legall binding that you cannot even INSTALL the software on another PC (even if it's your second computer), let along use it, or register it.

LFS is extremely accomodating in this regard.

When you pay £24 you get a username, and each username can only be online from one PC at a time - to race someone ONLINE you need to pay for each user/driver/account. LAN play is configured so that you can play at home against the same username, thus bypassing that problem.

It's VERY VERY fair
Quote from kuba.g ::cry:

Racing the demo content with your friends can be fun, too

Yeah, it isn´t fair that the Devs wanna get money to live from.
They should spend all their time into LFS, without getting any Cent.
Quote :Then pay for one license and race online. That's how the game is meant to be played anyway.

So why do they add Single Player and LAN?

Quote :Can you name some other commercially available games that allow you to buy one copy and have it used by many more people? These terms of usage really aren't that different to those of any other games I know.

Normal games can't stop you from being installed on more computers for lan parties.

Quote :They stop people buying one licence and allowing other people to use their accounts.

I guess you're right, they aren't dumb, but because of this you can't race against your friends on lan, which for me is greater fun than racing on the internet...

In my opinion, this could be solved in a much more, easier way: have LAN unlock codes, which allow you to race only on the LAN network, but not on the internet. Then my problem would be solved, and accounds won't be shared = everybody will be happy

Quote :LAN play is configured so that you can play at home against the same username, thus bypassing that problem.

No, as it's only allowing you to race against one other person.

Quote :Racing the demo content with your friends can be fun, too

That's what I'm doing so far, and we all thought it's great fun, that's why I wanted to buy a licence so we can race on more tracks and in more cars.

Kuba.
correction.. you can race against 2 other people ..

and LAN is there for that reason.. or just to get together with some friends that have it..

and singleplayer.. because well.. thats self explanatory, i dont know of many selling games that are only multiplayer
#19 - joen
Quote from kuba.g :So why do they add Single Player and LAN?

So it can be played offline too or with other license holders in a LAN. But the main goal of LFS in online play, hence the name Live for Speed - online racing simulator

Quote :
Normal games can't stop you from being installed on more computers for lan parties.

I didn't ask if it's possible, I asked about games that let you to do so according to their terms of usage. You blame the terms of usage of LFS while it's really not different.

Quote :
In my opinion, this could be solved in a much more, easier way: have LAN unlock codes, which allow you to race only on the LAN network, but not on the internet. Then my problem would be solved, and accounds won't be shared = everybody will be happy

How would this prevent sharing of accounts? Do you mean to be able to buy one LAN license and use it on multiple computers? How would that change anything for the devs? It's not that they only invested development in online play. A license isn't just buying the multiplay features, you pay for the whole game. So it makes no difference if you play it online or not.
If you were planning on having a LAN party with LFS, then it's not like it would be impossible. There are only 3 devs, so you could just email them and arrange something if you were to have a LAN party.
Quote from joen :How would this prevent sharing of accounts? Do you mean to be able to buy one LAN license and use it on multiple computers? How would that change anything for the devs? It's not that they only invested development in online play. A license isn't just buying the multiplay features, you pay for the whole game. So it makes no difference if you play it online or not.

When you buy a normal licence, you have the two unlocks per month.
But apart from that you get 10 unlocks wich do not allow you to play on single player and on the internet. They only allow you to have all the cars and tracks when playing in lan mode.
Wouldn't this be eaisier?

Kuba.
You just quoted the answer to your question yourself.

Quote from joen :A license isn't just buying the multiplay features, you pay for the whole game. So it makes no difference if you play it online or not.

no.. kuba.. you get 3 unlocks .. always if

you can use thoes 3 unlocks on a LAN, but no where else .. no idea where you got the 10 from

if you stop playing, a month later you will get 2 backup unlocks incase you do something to your computer and need another

which.. we really dont have unlocks anymore, not like we did in S1, those were unlocks; this is just signing in technically :/
I think you're confusing things here XCNuse. He was talking of a "solution" of what he wants/needs, not of the current situation.
oh.. 10 unlocks is alot though

if anyone walked away with your info; you'd be screwed, and probably never see your account again

number of unlocks
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG