The history about LFS?
(56 posts, started )
I think there was a history at www.lfswiki.net but it's still not available.
Once upon a time there was a virgin and a shephard going to the little town of South City to register their tax returns, two wise men and a spectator followed them there by following a trail of rubber laid down by a brightly twinkling billboarding system in the sky.

When the virgin and the shephard got to South City but could find nowhere to sleep, but a kind hearted inn keeper led them to the pit lane and later that night the virgin popped a sprog on the underpass. They named him Scawen, in honour of the mispelled graffitti on the underpass.

When Scawen grew up he was crucified by forum goers for not releasing patches quick enough, but luckily he was reborn with S2 - and said he planned to come back to life again later.

Somewhere along the line he was joined by two of the wise men who guided Scawen and proclaimed him the son of Scavier, the divine sim racing God, but this was bollocks because we know he was the son of a shephard and a virgin.
Lol!
ehhh
What kind of mushrooms you've been eating? I want some too.
Quote from Becky Rose :Once upon a time there was a virgin and a shephard going to the little town of South City to register their tax returns, two wise men and a spectator followed them there by following a trail of rubber laid down by a brightly twinkling billboarding system in the sky.

When the virgin and the shephard got to South City but could find nowhere to sleep, but a kind hearted inn keeper led them to the pit lane and later that night the virgin popped a sprog on the underpass. They named him Scawen, in honour of the mispelled graffitti on the underpass.

When Scawen grew up he was crucified by forum goers for not releasing patches quick enough, but luckily he was reborn with S2 - and said he planned to come back to life again later.

Somewhere along the line he was joined by two of the wise men who guided Scawen and proclaimed him the son of Scavier, the divine sim racing God, but this was bollocks because we know he was the son of a shephard and a virgin.

Excellent post lol
-
(HittiS) DELETED by HittiS
Quote from Becky Rose :Once upon a time there was a virgin and a shephard going to the little town of South City to register their tax returns, two wise men and a spectator followed them there by following a trail of rubber laid down by a brightly twinkling billboarding system in the sky.

It wasn't anything like that

In 2027 there is a war raging between the machines and the humans. Things look quite bad for the humans as their weaponry is far less advanced and their head number is decreasing on a rapid pace. But humans are still fighting back. Divided into smaller defensive groups, or camps, the resistance still raises its head time after time. These camps are lead by brave and unforgiving soldiers who have lost more than word can describe.

Few of the bravest of these men are Scawen Roberts with his "as tough as they come" patriotic fellows Victor von Vlaardingen and Eric Bailey, who were set to change history.

But the things are not looking good and lately there has been rumours that the machines, mostly the ISI faction is building up a time machine to travel into the year of 1997 to disrupt the development of the uprising ISI sim killer, tha GPL - Gran prix legends. The plan includes sending an andvanced sim machine into this year to be a beta tester for the GPL, and the target being to convert the sim creators of GPL into NFS playing tossers!

However, this plan never worked out as the Scavier sent their own robot (S1eitor) who just managed to prevent the 1st ISI attack. But the war is still going on at the year of 2006 with the ISI faction trying to come again with their "ugly but fast" sim-robot, the GTR2. This time the Scavier has something better to offer, the Live for speed S2, which has the capabilites to destroy ISI and make the world sim racing crowd happy and united folks agains.

Looks like this thread is becoming the LFS Forums official "Let's get high, eat mushrooms and post stuff to the forums"-thread.
I thought, this counts for every thread.
-
(HittiS) DELETED by HittiS
#10 - axus
Quote from HittiS :... one joke-story is enough!

Um, no its not.
As far as I know it started like this:

Scawen made a little physics based driving game during his lunch breaks at Lionhead (which explains why B&W was delayed so much, and why my money kept eating him). His friend Eric Bailey (whom my monkey didn't like the taste of) helped out with the 3D stuff and non-programming (or less programming). Gradually it evolved until mid 2002 (I think) when it was released as a very early demo with grand plans of a big update (S1, S2, S3, S4) released at 3 month periods.

It attracted a cult following very quickly, and as word spread so LFS matured. The original plan of 3 month updates was eventually canned as unworkable, and the system changed to three stages rather than 4. Since then it has been the natural evolution of LFS at work until the present day. From the very first public version you can feel that LFS is something special and to this day nothing has, in my opinion, got close to it's tarmac physics. RBR however is better on loose surfaces.

They are NOT in this for the money (though of course it always helps, and supports the hosting of webspace and Scawen's home improvements), but to create the worlds best online racing game. Scawen is, I gather, a bit of a purist, so some things take a little longer to perfect than the bodging of ISI based simulators.

Victor became part of the operation long before I got into LFS back in summer 2003, but his exact history with the sim currently escapes me, but he's done his fair share of the work, as has Eric. But as Scawen is the programmer of the actual sim he tends to get more of the applause, and I don't think that Eric or Vic would begrudge that.

None of the above is presented as fact, but as my interpretation of what I have read and been told over the years. Inaccuracies may be present, and the author of this post accepts no responsibility for and mental or bodily injury caused by the contents howsoever caused. Edit: There are a few too many "buts" in that post. Sorry.
You said they're not doing this for the money (don't know those quote thingies:schwitz So do they have fulltime jobs?
ps I have no idea how much they've earned from working on LFS, so it might be a stupid question.
#13 - axus
Quote from K.David :You said they're not doing this for the money (don't know those quote thingies:schwitz So do they have fulltime jobs?
ps I have no idea how much they've earned from working on LFS, so it might be a stupid question.

They don't, AFAIK but they're not in it for money is what Tristan is saying. LFS is probably worth a lot more than it costs.
#14 - Jakg
nope, they left lionhead, they are at LFS fulltime!

EDIT - Too slow!
This just shows the opportunity for a book deal after scavier finishes lfs!
Well it depends on what sense you mean "do it for the money".

We do do it for the money in one sense, because we earn money from it and that's good. And we don't have any other way to earn a living.

But there are easier ways to make money if that was the primary objective. Our main aim is to enjoy our work. Unlike some game companies run by publishers, we don't make all decisions with the question "will it make more sales?" We just say "is this a good feature?" and that decides what we do. Of course that can lead to better sales as well so there's no harm in working that way.
#17 - joen
Quote from K.David :You said they're not doing this for the money (don't know those quote thingies:schwitz So do they have fulltime jobs?

Well, it is their fulltime job and they do make money out of it to support themselves and secure the development of LFS, but I guess what Tristan is trying to say is that creating a game they are proud of is more important to them then making big money out of it. Racesim's are in a niche market, if making a fortune would be the most important thing they would make an arcade racer that appeals to a mass market or something.
Exactly - you are all correct. Scawen will never be 'rich' from LFS, but he will be happy, and it'll give him enough to put food on the table, make the table, and buy a car to drive to the timber merchants.
Devs are testing something again...and making hype
Put it simply, I was curious if LFS income by itself was enough for a sensible standard of living without any numbers, just a yes or a no. I would think it's a pretty uncertain income.
Quote from K.David :Put it simply, I was curious if LFS income by itself was enough for a sensible standard of living without any numbers, just a yes or a no. I would think it's a pretty uncertain income.

It looks like yes.

How should we know exactly?
#22 - joen
Considering they have been working on LFS for several years now and they seem to show no sign of starvation and Scawen is even able to work on his house, I would say yes

sorry to bring it up again but this is the funniest thing iv read in a long time. Lmfao p.s. you should write a book or something
Quote from Hyperactive :*snip*
However, this plan never worked out as the Scavier sent their own robot (S1eitor) who just managed to prevent the 1st ISI attack. But the war is still going on at the year of 2006 with the ISI faction trying to come again with their "ugly but fast" sim-robot, the GTR2. This time the Scavier has something better to offer, the Live for speed S2, which has the capabilites to destroy ISI and make the world sim racing crowd happy and united folks agains.

ISI didn't make GTR, ISI made rFactor. Simbin made GTR and GTR2 :P

Quote from Captain Slow :sorry to bring it up again but this is the funniest thing iv read in a long time. Lmfao p.s. you should write a book or something

Now on Amazon, LFS racer Becky Rose presents, The LFS Bible, Written completely in yee olde English, and is also available in English Modern, Dutch, German, and Chinese...
I have to correct you Tristan, Victor has been with LFS for some time before the first demo was released. Here is an interesting read from early 2002:

Quote from Victor :Right after this, I got a mail from Alex Evans (We-all-love-him-Statix who now works at Lionhead and he said two ex-colleagues were doing a very nice racing game now and that they were searching for someone to do music and sound for it. So YEAH OF COURSE! That's cool! Made contact with the chaps, gave them all my music and fortunately they liked it! So that's my main occupation now. For all you interested, www.liveforspeed.com. In March there will be a demoversion available for all you peeps to check! But get a wheel, it's MUCH nicer that way Though, still no money... yet. I'm not on a payroll with the game since they don't have any money either.. That's why I still work at the bakery. Money will (hopefully in showers be coming only when the game is sold. There is a risk of course.. it may not sell at all and 'waste' a year on that...but well.. we'll see what happens later! It's a cool game.. I promise.. Alex has done some very nice things for it too

(whole text attached)
Attached files
Vic Lebenslauf.txt - 7.1 KB - 211 views

The history about LFS?
(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG