The online racing simulator
Disconnected too often: Any ports I should forward?
I'm going nuts.

LFS used to work beautifully on MP for me. Now I can't stay on any server, not even on those below 100 ms without a 'Lost connection from server' message and kicked out. WTF?

It could be a port issue.
Nope, forwarding port's won't really do any thing.
same exact problem, people say its because im from usa and lfs is in europe hmm?
what are your average ping times when looking at servers?
Are you using Wireless internet? Sometimes in my house the connection strength goes down to like really low, and I suffer many lag outs, if you are on wireless, can you try wire connecting and see if that makes it better?
Quote from XCNuse :what are your average ping times when looking at servers?

90 - 130 ping
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Are you using Wireless internet? Sometimes in my house the connection strength goes down to like really low, and I suffer many lag outs, if you are on wireless, can you try wire connecting and see if that makes it better?

im gonna try that 2morrow
Well, I just did some quickie tests and realized I have an ungodly packet loss. (over 40%)

I'll be calling my ISP tomorrow.

Thanks anyway!
what program did you test for packet loss?
#10 - Jakg
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :what program did you test for packet loss?

command prompt, pinging iirc
what do you type in for win xp

start -> run -> "command" -> window pops up... ... ... ...

plz be nice, look at my signature
dude.. your making it worse with that massive signature if anything...
#13 - Jakg
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :what do you type in for win xp

start -> run -> "command" -> window pops up... ... ... ...

Start>Run>cmd.exe>ping (damn i cant remember this bit!)
Quote :plz be nice, look at my signature

its the ONLY thing i can look at, i was gonna PM you about making it a tad smaller, but now i dont have to!
you dont actually have to type the exe, just cmd

you have to type in
blahblahblah> ping www.google.com
^dont type in the blah blah blah.. type in ping and the website
or.. whatever you want to ping

or just type ping to get a list of.. stuff
this is what happened when I did: command -> ping www.google.com

it said something in webding and it said illegal move, am i in trouble :P
#16 - Jakg
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :this is what happened when I did: command -> ping www.google.com

it said something in webding and it said illegal move, am i in trouble :P

just did exactly the same thing as you, and got...
Attached images
Grabby1.jpg
it said docume~1\owner> insted of c\documents and settings\yourname
#18 - Jakg
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :it said docume~1\owner> insted of c\documents and settings\yourname

wierd, i just ran it, what is the name of the user account you are on and is your pc from someone like dell, if so is the os from them?
docume~1 is DOS shortening to a folder, for some reason his XP is doing the DOS shortening, and it appears so is mine. Mine is a OEM XP Pro version installed on my own built PC. The nice thing about Unix OS's, is you can specify a packet size, and how many to send, so you can do a test by sending like 400 packets at a LFSish size, and check for packetloss that way.
im almost sure my pc is a Dell Dimension B110 single core yada yada... what do you need to know?
type in the cmd prompt: ping -n 100 www.google.com

this willl ping google 100 times, and give you the results, try that, screenshot the bottom part ("ping statistics") and upload it so we can see it.

EDIT: if you just type "ping" into the cmd prompt it gives you a list of values you can enter like the "-n 100" stuff to change the packet size and number of times.
Woah thanks, I didn't know that Windows could do more specific ping stuff. I still much more enjoy Linux for terminal stuff because windows theres no man pages or even a ping --help.

Also, maybe ping -t might be a good idea, leave it on all night and come back in the morning, Ctrl+C it and see if any packets were lost.
still the same problem, tried the screenshot... didnt work
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Woah thanks, I didn't know that Windows could do more specific ping stuff. I still much more enjoy Linux for terminal stuff because windows theres no man pages or even a ping --help.

Thats because the "Windows" help argument is /? or /help.
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :it said docume~1\owner> insted of c\documents and settings\yourname

The reason it is saying this is because you are not reading the posts PROPERLY. Type CMD in run and NOT COMMAND.

Are you an administrator on your PC? (If its even 2000/XP) Ignore above if you are on Win9x

Have you ran antispyware and antivirus to make sure some program is not raping your internet connection?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG