The online racing simulator
AMD CPU pricing reduced up to 56 percent soon!!!
Hi,
I think the table below doesnt need more comments.

Wow, what a price cut
Looks like AMD will be going for value for money for now...
#3 - joen
Perfect timing
Was already planning to do a major upgrade in the next coming months
Memory is set to rise though, another mysterious warehouse fire!
#5 - J.B.
Wow! But they don't really have a choice do they? I hope they can still make a profit at these prices. The fight between AMD and Intel results in good products and prices for consumers so we don't want one of them to be driven into bankruptcy. Shame for AMD that companies like Dell helped Intel keep such a large market share by selling crappy P4s only that have been inferior to AMD for years. Now that the tables are turned again this will hurt AMD all the more.
Timing is right!

I'm out of the PC loop for several years, I need to upgrade. Whats a good AMD rig under 1k look like for LFS.

Currently running a amd athlon1200 running at 1400
512 RAM
Ausustek A7A266
Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4200

Presume i'll need:

New mainboard
New Processor
New graphics card
#7 - joen
Probably new memory too. Not that your old memory won't work but depending on what you have now some new faster memory to get the most out of the new system would be good. Because a new motherboard will support higher mem speeds than your current one.
Super, I've been holding off upgrading for a few weeks now.
On Newegg the 4600X2 seems to be the Least popular 939 X2. I think that will change after the almost 300 dollar price break. (the sheet seems to imply that 939 x2's with 512k L2 will be getting the break as well).

Either way, it will a huge step up from my old P4... I don't think I'm going to miss the challenges of single digit fps racing...
thanx for the heads up guys. i will be upgrading soon and i will need a new cpu
It might be a close fight between the 4600 and E6300 at the ~$200 mark (taking into consideration that an Intel board and FB-DIMM's are going to be more expensive than what you would use in an AMD system), but anything faster and Intel takes a very clear lead. For example, at the $300 mark, the E6600 is significantly faster than the 5000. As much as I like AMD, I think Intel really has a far superior product now.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795

Anand says much of the same of what I said above:

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/default.aspx#282
Quote from Forbin :It might be a close fight between the 4600 and E6300 at the ~$200 mark (taking into consideration that an Intel board and FB-DIMM's are going to be more expensive than what you would use in an AMD system)

You dont need FB-DIMM`s.Intel use them just for server processors right now.So some good regular DDR2 memory would be fine.In these days in Vista around I would buy already 2x1024 Memory for a new system but I know it always depend on the budget you have.
1024 is not enought for Vista when you want gaming and some modern games need 2048 to be able to play at highest details smoothly without HD seeking and seeking.
Quote from hornch :Timing is right!
Presume i'll need:

New mainboard
New Processor
New graphics card

+New Memory
+New PSU
But then the question then is, if you built a early gaming 939 system, say A64 3200+ or so, do you:

Go out and buy all new ram, new (expensive) mobo, and Core 2 Duo or...

Get a Cheap $230 X2 4600 and enjoy most all of the benifit of conroe/dual core/ until the next real breakthrough emerges (quad-core, hex-core?, DX-10, flash L3, ddr4, Vista SP-1..)

I'm prob going to get a cheap X2 amd and enjoy the end of the XP dx-9 era until the world becomes fully multi-threaded, at which point (my belief) an even larger pc revo will be be here.

or maybe i'm just a nut..
#15 - Vain
@Devil:
The new Intels run at half the power the old CPUs and the AMDs do, so you might not need a new PSU.
(Of course this depends on the additional power usage of the new GFX board.)

Vain
Quote from DEVIL 007 :+New Memory
+New PSU

+ More RAM
#17 - joen
Quote from srdsprinter :+ More RAM

He said +memory...which is RAM...
Quote from joen :He said +memory...which is RAM...

:banghead: oh yea... well it could mean a new HD, which I dunno if he needs. He might not even need "NEW" ram, just "More" ram. Another 512MB would be suitable for almost every game out there.
Quote from joen :He said +memory...which is RAM...

ok..ok...Random Access Memory ....I just didnt notice he mentioned it already:banghead:
Sweet shit that's low. Really cutting into AMD's profit margin (which shot up when they new they owned the market with power, now Intel is kicking back AMD are going back to normal). I might buy myself a cheap dually until I get the cash for a full upgrade. Which won't be for a long ass time anyway.

By the way, this won't send AMD backrupt, it costs around 10cents (I don't have they on my keyboard) to make a proc, most of the cost goes into building the labs and testing. But it's not even close to how much we pay for them when broken down.
Quote from srdsprinter ::banghead: oh yea... well it could mean a new HD, which I dunno if he needs. He might not even need "NEW" ram, just "More" ram. Another 512MB would be suitable for almost every game out there.

Well the DDR200/266 memory would be holding A64 processor back really badly.
#22 - joen
Quote from srdsprinter ::banghead: oh yea... well it could mean a new HD, which I dunno if he needs. He might not even need "NEW" ram, just "More" ram. Another 512MB would be suitable for almost every game out there.

I would call a new HD more storage It's not really memory.

I think he needs new memory. His old motherboard has a much lower busspeed than the ones in stores right now, so it's likely he has old memory (probably PC2100 or something) . Getting more memory won't help him much because his extra new memory will be much faster than his old memory, and it will make the new memory run at the speed of his old memory. Hmm, that sentence has the word memory in it a lot

Quote from DEVIL 007 :ok..ok...Random Access Memory ....I just didnt notice he mentioned it already

He didn't, you did first No need to bang your head
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :I might buy myself a cheap dually until I get the cash for a full upgrade. Which won't be for a long ass time anyway.

Score one for the AMD upgrade path.

AMD 1
Intel 0
Quote from joen :I would call a new HD more storage It's not really memory.

Its all binary to me...

As you said, its likely he's running PC2100, but he might be running PC3200 at slower speed. When I upgraded it was cheaper to get 2X512MB 3200 than 2100... HENCE, I said he "Might" not need new ram.
Quote from Vain :@Devil:
The new Intels run at half the power the old CPUs and the AMDs do, so you might not need a new PSU.
(Of course this depends on the additional power usage of the new GFX board.)

Vain

Well...Hornch would probably really need the new PSU.His system seems to have like 250-300W powersupply.
I know that current A64 are very efficient and Conroes even more but I bet his PSU wouldnt run new system without problems.Like random crashes,GPU not perfomaing like it should.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG