The online racing simulator
HP Reverb G2 questions
(13 posts, started )
HP Reverb G2 questions
Hi all,

I switched to Reverb G2 headset from Oculus Rift CV1 and whilst the clarity jump is absolutely amazing, I don't completely understand what's going on with resolutions and settings, i.e. why is LFS showing render target 5196x2538 at 225% resolution scale if per eye native headset's resolution is 2160x2160? (at 100% resolution if I'm not mistaken)

Also, please advise which apps should be open when LFS is active? Currently, I have:
1. Mixed Reality Portal app which is always on top and I can't close it. I paused preview;
2. SteamVR app (v1.24.6);
3. LFS itself - its window is shown as blackscreen if I select monitors - "none".

With Oculus Rift, I used Oculus Tray Tool to hide Oculus Home leaving only LFS window opened (it mirrored the sim).

And final question, how can I adjust the settings to get the best visuals?

Thank you very much in advance!
In VR, the render target per eye is always bigger than the headset's resolution per eye. This is because of the distortion. The render target is compressed more and more as you go further out from the centre. As an example, see this attached early VR image from 2013.

Back then, the application did the distortion. These days, the VR headset software does the distortion.

But the render target size you stated is not what I would expect if you set 225% resolution. 225% should multiply the X and Y dimensions by 1.5. That should usually be 1.5 times the size at 100% resolution. What RT size do you get if you set 100% resolution?

Also, where have you set "resolution scale" ? In LFS the option is called "Resolution adjustment" so I'm not sure if you are using the one in LFS or another one in external software.

For your questions about VR software, I don't know but maybe someone else can help.

With "Monitor view - none" you get a black screen. I'm not sure what you expected! Smile That option is to save GPU power by not rendering to your windows desktop. If you want to see a representation of the view on your monitor, you can select single or double. Single is probably the best for most uses.
Attached images
rift_test_2.jpg
Scawen, thank you so much for your quick response and detailed explanation!

After reading your post, I played a bit with settings and below are the screenshots of render resolution I get when I set native/100% resolution in WMR windows settings and SteamVR:
- WMR settings: 4320x2160 with Best visual quality, 90Hz;
- SteamVR: Video -> Custom resolution -> Render resolution -> Custom - Resolution Per Eye: 3164x3092 (100%);
- LFS Resolution Adjustment 225%: 9492x4638.

LFS indeed multiplies SteamVR resolution of 3164x3092 by 1.5 which gives 9492x4638 (3164*2*1.5=9492; 3092*1.5=4638).

Do you think it is more efficient leaving WMR preview or setting LFS monitor view to "single"?
Attached images
lfs_resolution_adj_render_target_reverb.png
steamvr_reverb.png
wnr_settings_control_panel.png
Thanks for the info. I don't know how the WMR preview works but as the LFS one only presents a texture to a window, I believe that is quite efficient, especially if the window size is small.

I wonder if you are getting the 90 Hz frame rate at all times. If so then efficiency is no longer a problem and you can go with whatever you prefer.

You can't get rid of that apparent stutter when you look sideways while driving. That is solved with the new 1000 Hz / multithreaded version of LFS.
If you want to stress test some kind of worst case scenario, you can go singleplayer and put 30AI and yourself, use mods are they are usually less optimized. If you have no stutter solid 90fps on first lap then you are good to go with whatever settings... Multiplayer should be less taxing on CPU anyway.
Then you can play with your graphics settings.

As for Graphics just check the menu it is pretty quick to go around everything.
Dynamic reflection 8 is good but you can go higher...
FSAA 4X or 8X
AA on mirrors
Texture Filter 16X...
Quote from Scawen :Thanks for the info. I don't know how the WMR preview works but as the LFS one only presents a texture to a window, I believe that is quite efficient, especially if the window size is small.

I wonder if you are getting the 90 Hz frame rate at all times. If so then efficiency is no longer a problem and you can go with whatever you prefer.

You can't get rid of that apparent stutter when you look sideways while driving. That is solved with the new 1000 Hz / multithreaded version of LFS.

I will keep the LFS window small. My PC isn’t strong enough for 9K resolution, I’m just using 5K for now with 4x AA and some mirrors’ details off/low. FOV on g2 seems to be smaller than oculus rift’s FOV and stutter is much less noticeable Smile
Patiently waiting for the new 1000 Hz update!
Quote from loopingz :If you want to stress test some kind of worst case scenario, you can go singleplayer and put 30AI and yourself, use mods are they are usually less optimized. If you have no stutter solid 90fps on first lap then you are good to go with whatever settings... Multiplayer should be less taxing on CPU anyway.
Then you can play with your graphics settings.

As for Graphics just check the menu it is pretty quick to go around everything.
Dynamic reflection 8 is good but you can go higher...
FSAA 4X or 8X
AA on mirrors
Texture Filter 16X...

Hi loopingz, thank you so much for advice! Will try to keep the settings you mentioned on high Smile Trying to snatch something on BF deals lol (mainly new CPU+mobo).
Well LFS is so we'll optimized including VR that it is not the best excuse to change CPU or graphic card.
Just bought an HP reverb G2 myself, and ... what to say ... it is just insane ! The headset looks indeed very great, but in LFS : what an experience !!! Scawen : it is just so wonderful and immersive !
I was expecting it to be great, but that is clearly overpassing my expectations by far ! And may the 1000Hz physics even improve the thing ? Sounds pure madness Big grin
I still have to admit that braking downhill is making me sick quickly (let's say elevation change in general), but anyway doing a lap or two is already so great Petals !
South City 2.0 and its friends are welcome even more than ever now Heart
Thanks for the feedback!

For motion sickness you may like to try the "View lock" options.
I have tested the 3 options, but each time there are some elevation changes (aston cadet mini 'eau rouge', 2nd split of South City sprint 2, etc...), it is ... difficult Big grin ... but that's part of the charm aswell !
The eau rouge is kind of scary I almost feel the butterflies inside my stomach!
I am curious: can you reverse without being dizzy? That's the only thing that twist my mind it get me weird in no time. Other than that I hope.yoi get used to it, such a blast.
I found a setting for the FOV : it was too 'close' for me in automatic. Increasing it manually to 101° is improving a lot the experience ! As always, there are lots of settings to get used to, but as it is customizable, everything is doable and that's great Thumbs up ! Thank you programmer Wink

HP Reverb G2 questions
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG