The online racing simulator
Tyre Wear
(14 posts, started )
Tyre Wear
Is there any way to check tyre wear either using a popup or in the pits? I thought the F9 popup indicated tyre wear by the thickness of the line representing the tyre segment but I've just run a 20 lap practice and can't see any difference in the thickness of the lines.

Attached is an image showing the tyre state at the beginning of the run on the left with the tyre state at the end of the 20 lap practice superimposed on the right. There is no difference in the thickness of the segment lines even when I do a pixel by pixel comparison.
Attached images
lfs_tyre_wear.jpg
They do change thickness. Just make a long burnout and watch it go thinner. It's far easier to see on slicks, though, as those road normals/supers do take some beating.
The road tires as Android said can last very very long. But what combo you have?
try to lock brakes with slick tyres, then take a look at your tyres, you'll see a zone with severe wear
Quote from DeXteRrBDN :try to lock brakes with slick tyres, then take a look at your tyres, you'll see a zone with severe wear

As long as you don't mistake 'wear' with 'heat'
You have to do very extreme locking to see the wear, a short lockup on corner entry doesn't wear the tyre at all, or only a very tiny amount.
Quote :I've just run a 20 lap practice and can't see any difference in the thickness of the lines

I could on your screenshots, I reckon those tyres would have lasted about 100 laps until they where totally shot, although you'd probably have had a puncture before then.

On your screeny they where just a few pixels thinner, but it was noticeable.
Quote from BuddhaBing :There is no difference in the thickness of the segment lines even when I do a pixel by pixel comparison.

Quite simply , you need your eyes testing
#8 - Vain
A digital wear-output would be rather useless because the contact patch of the tyre deforms during wear and thus the speed of wear changes continuously. That means there is no way to figure out the maximum lifetime of a tyre without trying it out. Just go and drive until they burst (or you reached the desired amount of laps).

Vain
Yeah even slicks last quite some time dependent on the cars, i raced the FOX around Kyoto National last weekend for race practice and i managed 50 laps on the R1 slicks.

Even with a few lockups and drifts the tyres still lasted quite a while.

But yes the road tyres can take a severe beating before they start to show signs of wear.
Im no einstein, but let me put it another way , imagine you bought brand new small road car, and got on autobahn/motorway/highway and drove 1000km , tyres would still be ok, a little bit of wear here and there.

All depends how you drive.

Edit reading your first post , what id like to see in pits in a no change tyre option , i wouldnt like to have a % shwon for tyre wear + the fact tyre wear is un-even so you have 50% tread left but maybe on innertread 10% (depending on camber) so its ireelevant to have % plus takes away the unkown,like vain mentioned , imagine scenario .

People racin on server , some joins

dude "how much fuel"
other dude "5%"
dude "sweet"
other dude "rly"
dude "how much wear per lap on tyres"
another dude "0.18% center , 1.2% inner"
random dude "F12 !!!!!!!!!"

*oop rather large edit
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :
Edit reading your first post , what id like to see in pits in a no change tyre option , i wouldnt like to have a % shwon for tyre wear + the fact tyre wear is un-even so you have 50% tread left but maybe on innertread 10% (depending on camber) so its ireelevant to have % plus takes away the unkown,like vain mentioned , imagine scenario .

People racin on server , some joins

dude "how much fuel"
other dude "5%"
dude "sweet"
other dude "rly"
dude "how much wear per lap on tyres"
another dude "0.18% center , 1.2% inner"
random dude "F12 !!!!!!!!!"

*oop rather large edit

Impossible to show :Kick_Can_

Why?
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :
All depends how you drive.

You answered to it yourself already
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :reading your first post , what id like to see in pits in a no change tyre option

Managing tire changes would be a lot easier if we could just specify each particular tire. Perhaps using the left and right arrows to cycle through (No tires, all tires, rear only, LR, left only, LF, front only, RF, right only, RR) or, even better, assign four keys - one for each tire. Then just have those keys toggle tire change. For instance, the number pad 7, 9, 1, and 3 would be perfect. Press 7 once and the left front tire will get changed at the next stop. Press it again to deselect it from being changed. This would allow people to select exactly which tires they want to change for each pit stop.
cueball this is somthing ive been hoping since s2 alpha demo , individual tyre selction type/change etc, also in garage ie fr-r2 fl-r3 etc.
thinking a little more maybe have the % system , used for idividual pit orders, ie
if FR > 50% Wear change Type R2
(also option to set no change)
FL> 70% Wear change Type R3

etc would be perfect. (for now)

but as it stands it does the job ok and in game representation of wear is lovely (F9)
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#14 - Ziil

Tyre Wear
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG