The online racing simulator
New to LFS/S2: Is there a known connection/resource leak in the network layer?
I'm seeing svchost.exe (NETWORK SERVICE) mem commit charge grow alarmingly after each (internet) multiplayer session with S2/U. The svchost process continues to show these high mem usage numbers after normal lfs.exe exit.

Some relevant details:

- fresh boot, steady state total mem usage: ~300M.
- after a single multiplayer session w/ normal exit: ~630M (svchost ~321M)
- after several mulitplayer sessions w/ normal exits: ~1.5G! (svchost >1G)
- reboot fixes the problem.
- problem manifests only with lfs multiplayer sessions (i.e. no other app results in this behaviour).

I'm not too familiar with the win32 services, but this appears to be a resource leak in svchost.exe (NETWORK SERVICE). Is this a known issue, or am I missing something basic?

AMD DualCore Opteron.2G DDR2.Radeon X1900XT.WinXP Pro SP2.LFS S2/U(vanilla).

cheers.
#2 - Chaos
very high possibility that you have a virus...
Quote :New to LFS/S2: Is there a known connection/resource leak in the network layer?

Short answer: no.

It's your OS malfunctioning, sorry to inform.
Quote from Chaos :very high possibility that you have a virus...

No, I'm afraid its not a virus. The machine is squeaky clean and devoid of any detectable virus/mal/ad-ware. Also, the observed memory behaviour seen for svchost.exe does not reproduce with any other multiplayer game, including rFactor, Falcon4AF, BF2, etc.

Scawen, is there anything else I can look at and report back when I see this behaviour? (netstat -a doesn't show anything strange). Also, while the ~300M bump upon first use after a fresh reboot is easily reproducable, the >1G is something that I'm not able to reliably reproduce yet. I'll continue to study the behaviour and report back if I find anything else.

cheers.
#5 - filur
Several days uptime on winxp sp2, several lfs sessions, combined memory usage for everything related to svchost is about 30mb with peak usage at about 32mb.
I've seen this behaviour with flakey NIC drivers and other third party network services. You would expect it to happen to all network processes, but I guess it was just a combination of the way the application interfaced and used the NDIS/Winsock APIs.

Not 100% this is the case, but it maybe worth trying an updated driver if one exists.
svchost just runs services. Try running a "tasklist /svc", from a command prompt and you'll see what I mean; it could be any particular service under that particular svchost - try stopping them (carefully) until you can work out which one it is; I very much doubt its LFS causing this.
svchost doesn't necissarily have anything to do with networking, it just runs other services. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I do know that much

*Edit*Beaten by TAA, by two days.....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG