The online racing simulator
Adrian Newey has an accident
(19 posts, started )
Does anyone have a picture of this?

speedfreak227
Not half as big an accident as the car he's designed this year.
I hope that GT40 was a replica!

I'm all for racing vintage cars (in fact I encourage it), but any way you slice it, when one gets totalled it nearly brings a tear to your eye...
Quote from Becky Rose :Not half as big an accident as the car he's designed this year.

You mean the McLaren or the Red Bull?
Quote :I hope that GT40 was a replica!

You aren't allowed to race replicas in official historic racing events.
#7 - ajp71
Quote from MAGGOT :I hope that GT40 was a replica!

Nope he owns and races a genuine GT40
Quote from Hoellsen :You aren't allowed to race replicas in official historic racing events.

That depends on the sanctioning body of the event. I've been to an event in Quebec that had several replicas of Lola T70's (I think they were T70s, I'll have to look at my pics again to confirm). There were a couple real T70s, and I believe all of the rest of the cars were real.. Although, some of the cars I'd hardly consider historic. A 360 Modena GT race car for instance.

Too bad that the real car bit the dust. Any word on the state of it? Any chance it can be salvaged and restored?
#9 - ajp71
Quote from MAGGOT :That depends on the sanctioning body of the event. I've been to an event in Quebec that had several replicas of Lola T70's

Some historic 'reconstructions' are permitted, they actually tend to be very faithful as to get given FIA historic papers allowing them to race as historic cars they have to be accurately built from old jigs and blueprints and don't have freedom for development.

Quote :
Too bad that the real car bit the dust. Any word on the state of it? Any chance it can be salvaged and restored?

A GT40 will never be wrecked beyond repair, a lot of valuable historic cars aren't very original, they just have some reminance of an original chassis that makes them a 'real' car. Most historic cars are effectively re built as modern cars with modern materials that's why they are so fast and even previously uncompetitive cars can become front running (ERAs, Lotus 33s etc.).
According to my sister, who was at the event, the Newey GT40 well may be beyond the point of a reasonable repair. That is unless it is a car with a loaded history of course.

Word is he went too fast into a corner and couldn't make it. Before this one, he had two more smaller accidents which is very unusual for him since he is a quality driver.
Quote from Hoellsen :According to my sister, who was at the event, the Newey GT40 well may be beyond the point of a reasonable repair. That is unless it is a car with a loaded history of course.

No it won't be a GT40 can never go beyond the point of reasonable repair because the cost to rebuild one from scratch is worth the value of a car that is eligible for Goodwood and Le Mans Classic amongst others.
I'm fairly certain that car will be fine. If it was a stock hatch it might be a different matter
Bit of T-Cut and it'll be good as new...
Adrian, if you are reading this, I'll rebuild it for you.
Quote from ajp71 :I'm fairly certain that car will be fine. If it was a stock hatch it might be a different matter

Yes, after seeing this pic, I do as well. I've seen worse in a historic racing team's garage and they said it would be no problem. In fact, I've seen a Porsche 910 which only consisted out of the spaceframe at one point.
I know somebody who races a Lola in the same series as that GT40, and I can't imagine they'll be too upset to see it crashed. There have apparently been rumblings that he's been using his F1 people to finance and work on the car. A GT40 with a small carb engine should not be able to overtake a Lola with a bigger, injected engine on the straights.

Still, it's always a shame to see a beautiful car like that crashed. He'll probably get it rebuilt, it'll just take a lot of time and a lot of (Red Bull's) money.

Quote :A GT40 will never be wrecked beyond repair, a lot of valuable historic cars aren't very original, they just have some reminance of an original chassis that makes them a 'real' car. Most historic cars are effectively re built as modern cars with modern materials that's why they are so fast and even previously uncompetitive cars can become front running (ERAs, Lotus 33s etc.).

If you want to run it in that series, things have to be done in the same ways they would have been when the car was new. That means you can't have modern things like alloy blocks, complex composites, etc.
Quote from spookthehamster :
If you want to run it in that series, things have to be done in the same ways they would have been when the car was new. That means you can't have modern things like alloy blocks, complex composites, etc.

Modern metals (even if they are the same type as in period) are usually of a much higher quality, same goes with a lot of other materials used and things like a rollcage can be used to singnificantly strengthen the car and everything is more precisely machined now. Also remember that a lot of racing cars (particuarly historics) are bent as hell, in the end of the day how can you tell in 5 minutes of scrutineering what size engine a car has? All these things add up which is why apparantley one of the historic Ford Anglias that raced in period with a mildly tuned A series (circa 45 bhp) now produces 150 bhp
That's a valid point, and it's pretty much the same in all racing. If it's possible to exploit something, even a safety reg, it'll get exploited. Typically by 65% or more of the field within a day of some tinkering mechanic getting the idea...

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG