The online racing simulator
The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
Quote from Albieg :As for Microsoft being the cause of some problems, I don't really know and don't really think so. While troubleshooting I fired up my Task Manager replacement, that is Process Explorer written by Mark Russinovich, by Sysinternals (now owned by Microsoft), a legitimate piece of software used to investigate PC issues. It turns out SecuROM won't let me start the game if it detects Process Explorer running... and it even asks for a reboot! This is pure bull. They won't let me investigate possible troubles with a legitimate Microsoft software commonly and widely used for professional troubleshooting. This is insulting.

This is a well known problem with PE and SecureROM, it's been happening for years... I say well known, I mean if you use PE regularly.
Quote from pb32000 :This is a well known problem with PE and SecureROM, it's been happening for years... I say well known, I mean if you use PE regularly.

I use PE very regularly. I didn't encounter other troublesome SecuROM games before GTA IV, and since it's not running as it should I'd like to troubleshoot it with some professional tools. It may be a known problem but not to me, and this tells you one thing: my computer is running fine enough with other games. GTA IV isn't. If the game was fine, I wouldn't complain about such an issue. But it isn't fine.
I'm not saying you're wrong at all, I can well imagine it's not running correctly judging by other posts here. I have had that problem you described a few times before though, it's not PE's fault however.
Quote from pb32000 : I have had that problem you described a few times before though, it's not PE's fault however.

And as an admirer and regular user of Mark Russinovich's software in business environments I'm not faulting PE, which is one of the most stable and useful pieces of software I've ever used: otherwise, I wouldn't call it a professional tool. The lack of professionalism is somewhere else. I'm just appalled at discovering how far software companies can go to protect their intellectual property. I feel dispossessed, at the moment.
Quote from mr_x :I put everything on medium and have had zero problems from day 1 (looks better than 360/PS3 and runs at 35-45fps)... The main problem is people putting the settings far too high for their PCs, or not being patient enough to wait for Rockstar to patch it. Oh, and people on single core systems trying to run it, as well as everybody with an ATI card.... Most nvidia users (like myself) are wondering what the hell everybody's problem is!

Oh, and my PC isn't top of the range: C2D E8200, 4GB DDRII 800, GF 9600GT 512MB, Vista 64bit

Exactly, I agree with you there.

I have a 8800GT it'll work fine.
Okay who agrees with me on this fact.

GTA 4 is the best Gta game ever made so in short the most fun game ever?
Bought GTA IV over steam this week and I'm happy about the game itself, not so pleased with the technical side of it.

Started out with the install throwing multiple erros while installing .net 3.0. Fixed that by downloading .net 3.0 myself, then installing the patch rockstar mentions..but the game still refused to launch (got the intro screen and then a nice black screen)
Turned out i needed to a .NET 3.0 patch from windows update (no NOT the one rockstar talks about, and yes i had SP3 long before GTA needed it)

Then having to endure the horrendous registring procedure almost made me demand a refund (social club being down constantly, live refusing to accept my yahoo email, having to make a X-box live account in the first place..for a PC! game)

Now the only annoying bug I have is the game locking up after a while.
ctrl-alt-del is the only way out...but ending the "GTA IV" process simply disables my monitor signal and then after lot of HDD-crunching shuts down the whole pc.
Totally unacceptable and I suspect it's either due to stupid copy protection or a piece of console code still being in there.
Can't alt-tab either without getting a black screen on returning to the game.

Performance wise i can't complain at all. ([email protected]; 4gb RAM; 8800GTS 640mb)
running at 1600x1200, medium textures (can't select lower or higher), higest rendering qual
61 viewdistance
100 detaildistance
100 cardensity (gives a more lively and metropolitan feel imo)
and 16 shadow density
Don't know the exact FPS but it plays fine, with only the rare slowdown if it's raining hard while I have tons of cops or other badguys on my tail
Quote from Noccy :Bought GTA IV over steam this week and I'm happy about the game itself, not so pleased with the technical side of it.

Started out with the install throwing multiple erros while installing .net 3.0. Fixed that by downloading .net 3.0 myself, then installing the patch rockstar mentions..but the game still refused to launch (got the intro screen and then a nice black screen)
Turned out i needed to a .NET 3.0 patch from windows update (no NOT the one rockstar talks about, and yes i had SP3 long before GTA needed it)

Then having to endure the horrendous registring procedure almost made me demand a refund (social club being down constantly, live refusing to accept my yahoo email, having to make a X-box live account in the first place..for a PC! game)

Now the only annoying bug I have is the game locking up after a while.
ctrl-alt-del is the only way out...but ending the "GTA IV" process simply disables my monitor signal and then after lot of HDD-crunching shuts down the whole pc.
Totally unacceptable and I suspect it's either due to stupid copy protection or a piece of console code still being in there.
Can't alt-tab either without getting a black screen on returning to the game.

Performance wise i can't complain at all. ([email protected]; 4gb RAM; 8800GTS 640mb)
running at 1600x1200, medium textures (can't select lower or higher), higest rendering qual
61 viewdistance
100 detaildistance
100 cardensity (gives a more lively and metropolitan feel imo)
and 16 shadow density
Don't know the exact FPS but it plays fine, with only the rare slowdown if it's raining hard while I have tons of cops or other badguys on my tail

I have the 360 version the ral big problem that has is FPS when the screen is filled with alot of people like when U run over them
I just tested this when visiting my friend and for what I can tell this seemed like too awesome game! I'm gonna get this, hopefully it will run without problems.
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Okay who agrees with me on this fact.

GTA 4 is the best Gta game ever made so in short the most fun game ever?

You couldn't be more wrong. Vice City was the best 3D GTA game ever, and the original GTA in 2.5D was probably the best overall.
I found the solution to the problem some of us were having with textures not appearing. I stumbled upon This man's website. It basically tells you to add -availablevidmem 2.0 to your GTA 4 shortcut's target. It works great! I just tried, and it's awesome.
Quote from hrtburnout :I found the solution to the problem some of us were having with textures not appearing. I stumbled upon This man's website. It basically tells you to add -availablevidmem 2.0 to your GTA 4 shortcut's target. It works great! I just tried, and it's awesome.

if it was english some people could read it.
Quote from mutt107 :if it was english some people could read it.

I just summed it up for you. Also, you should know that not every website is in your vernacular.
So it tricks the game to think there are 2 GB VRAM? Won't that cause problems when it attempts to write more into the RAM than it's physically there?
Quote from hrtburnout :i Just Summed It Up For You. Also, You Should Know That Not Every Website Is In your Vernacular.

Quote from bbman :So it tricks the game to think there are 2 GB VRAM? Won't that cause problems when it attempts to write more into the RAM than it's physically there?

No, because GTA will turn to your normal ram (not the ones on your gfx card) instead. Just don't use more than gfx card ram + normal ram available.
Quote from bbman :So it tricks the game to think there are 2 GB VRAM? Won't that cause problems when it attempts to write more into the RAM than it's physically there?

From my understanding, the command pushes the textures into your system RAM as the game dumps everything into vRAM, which is constrictive on performance. As long as you keep a value which is equal to your total (vRAM + Free sRAM) then you shouldn't have an issue.
Hello guys.

I also bought the great and buggy GTA4 for PC.
I had the famous missing textures problem at first, then when it worked i had the famous missing textures after 20 mins of gameplay again. And then i had the infamous blue screen nvlddmkm.sys stop error blew up my gfx card whatever lol with 180.84 forceware drivers..

Cleaned out the dust in my PC and seems to work ok now.

In XP it actually runs more stable then in Vista.

Error codes can be seen here
http://www.rockstargames.com/s ... V_Error_Codes_ALL_EN.html

I have a whole thread created about the missing textures thing.
Leave the SuperFetch Service enabled in Vista (disabling it may cause problems).
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=379756

btw for all you drifting fans, look at this movie. GTA4 Drifting mod.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8-tZKGhiB4&e
Quote from thisnameistaken :It's because of ****heads like you that those of us who pay for stuff have to put up with bullshit like SecuROM.

no it isnt
copy protection achieves **** all and its because of stupid companies that you have to put up with it... its a sad day and age now that ive started downloading cracked copies of all my legally purchased software just because its much much more convenient to use
Same here. I buy the real stuff and get cracks / serials so I dont have to put a stupid CD in the drive everytime I wanna use something. It's like controlled piracy.
I bought GTA4 but..

GTA4 cracks wont work unless there would be a proper one but as far as i know they all have the shaky cam boobytrap in them and automatic car driving. (Game recognizes the crack and activates those boobytraps on purpose making the game unplayable). I find this funny actually

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6S8QAxA-L4

The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG