The online racing simulator
The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
Looks a lot like they had to hurry it for christmas. Cancelled my order, I'll just wait until it has a patch and buy it cheaper when it actually works... And I just went and sold my tv some time ago as I didn't watch it at all. No use to get a console when you don't have a tv... can you hook up the x360 into a normal lcd display (VGA/DVI)?
it should have hdmi which feeds into any dvi port just fine
Can play it with Medium texture settings , but then it looks like on a console.

Yes you can can hook up the Xbox via HDMI->Dvi , but then you have no sound! You need a cable kit for about 40€. Or Modify the adapter cable which comes with the xbox.
-
((SaM)) DELETED by (SaM)
Yeah, I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to my LCD monitor through HDMI.
Now of course my monitor isn't going to produce any sound, so for sound, I inserted the AV cable next to the HDMI cable by just taking off the right plastic cover of the AV connector. They fit fine next to eachother. If your screen doesn't have HDMI/DVI, just buy an aftermarket Xbox VGA cable with stereo Cinch plugs. Alot cheaper and does the job just as good.

About GTA IV, the developers down at Rockstar North must be shitting their pants right now. Such a failure on a release this big is not going to make the big boss very happy. It's devastating for them I'm sure. I haven't the foggiest why they never spotted this during testing...

It's not like they had hardly any time before the release.
I've seen some people theorize that this is a driver related in that the existing drivers aren't sure what to do exaclty with the new game engine. This half makes sense to me and a new set of drivers, when available, might solve most issues.

I do remember, though, that when GTA3 hit PCs it was a debacle as bad as this one, it was unplayable for most.
Seems that not waiting the PC release and buying Xbox wasn't such a bad idea after all. Too bad they have had to rush the release for Christmas, greedy bastards.
Is this thing released in the UK yet? Might nip out and buy it today if so.
Quote from Blackout :Seems that not waiting the PC release and buying Xbox wasn't such a bad idea after all. Too bad they have had to rush the release for Christmas, greedy bastards.

+1 , I am happy I play games like this on the xbox.

I have come full circle, being an old gamer, I used consoles till the early to mid 90's, and then became a PC gamer, because it was more grown up, got very tired with the continual upgrade cycle with each new game that came out, so got an xbox360 over a year ago, and apart from LFS and a handfull of driving sims, haven't looked back.

I just love buying a game, and knowing it WILL work, it WILL look like it does on all the reviews, and knowing that I DON'T have to shell out ££££'s on a new graphics card to get it to work/look decent.

TBH, if LFS's system requirements changed enough for me to have to upgrade my aged (I think it's bordering on 5-6 years old now) PC, I would probably drop it
People are still playing GTA4? Man, that's old
that's not a cool comment.
Quote from obsolum :People are still playing GTA4? Man, that's old

Smart ass Yes, we all know Vice City was the 4th..but what you are going to do with it, that's how they are named.
Quote from Blackout :Smart ass Yes, we all know Vice City was the 4th..but what you are going to do with it, that's how they are named.

He was pointing out that its over a year old due to it being on consoles...

as for me
im waiting for a working crack, cant be stuffed inserting my CD all the time i want to play.

>_>
<_<
Quote from JJ72 :that's not a cool comment.

Word, totaly uncool.

I want this game bad. But the problem is either ill buy this game and play it with the lowest possible setting, because my Graphics card suck.
Or ill buy a new Graphics card but then id have to wait untill the 20th to buy it..
Quote from EmilO :I want this game bad. But the problem is either ill buy this game and play it with the lowest possible setting, because my Graphics card suck.
Or ill buy a new Graphics card but then id have to wait untill the 20th to buy it..

You could get an xbox360 and GTA for the price of a new graphics card
Quote from danowat :You could get an xbox360 and GTA for the price of a new graphics card

Yeah, acctually i really need a new comp. But for the money to buy a new one i can get Xbox360 Elite and some games!
Quote from EmilO :Yeah, acctually i really need a new comp. But for the money to buy a new one i can get Xbox360 Elite and some games!

and then spend forever getting RMA's when it RROD's

get a PS3 instead, games system, awesome media center + a blu ray player for under 300 GPB? bargain.
I personally struggle with the concept of consoles. It's quite a lot of money for something that can only do games, whereas I spend a bit more on a PC that can do my work, design anything, edit pictures, movies, do my email, write letters etc AND play games. Sure, every 4 or 5 years I have to upgrade it, in much the same way that every 4 or 5 years I'd have to buy a new console, and sure it costs me more, but a PC works out, for me, massively cheaper in the £/hr stakes.

And I don't like the stupid names consoles have either, but that's only a minor and slightly petty point

Edit, due to post below: I have never EVER had a PC game fail to run in the last 16 years of PC gaming. I've never understood what people do to their PCs to make them so unreliable (although I am having BSOD issues with a faulty RAM stick at the moment at home, but I can just about live with it for now ).
I prefer consoles for gaming. I used to buy games for PC because they would be moddable, but you'd never be 100% sure the game will run. Even if you meet all the requirements, there's still a possibility of a bad driver or god knows what that can screw everything up.

I like the put in the CD and play aspect of consoles. I don't care upgrading my PC every few years, and I'm not that much of a nerd to always want the best of the best.

I still play GTA 4 on PS3, just because of the ragdolls and crashes (although they're perfect).
Quote from tristancliffe :
Edit, due to post below: I have never EVER had a PC game fail to run in the last 16 years of PC gaming. I've never understood what people do to their PCs to make them so unreliable (although I am having BSOD issues with a faulty RAM stick at the moment at home, but I can just about live with it for now ).

likewise, i flip through some game dev forums and the amount of people "doing it wrong" is shocking. besides if something isnt working right I get a sense of achievement making it work right, it also means when i squeeze an extra 15fps out of a game by tinking i enjoy playing it even more.
Quote from JJ72 :that's not a cool comment.

Quote from EmilO :Word, totaly uncool.

Really? I thought it was pretty funny I guess some PC gamers are a bit sensitive when it comes to top games coming out on console more than half a year before they're released as (buggy) PC versions
I'm a PC fanboy and I found it quite funny
BTW I have now been installing GTA4 for approximately one hour, along with Gay for Windows LIVE, and apparently I'm now the bass player for Buena Vista Social Club.
Am installing it for 5mins now and really hope this is going to run smoothly.
After a lot of people having performance problems im not too sure about it anymore.
Installed and running well on my system...only glitch is that it wont connect to the Cockstar Social Club..says I am off line
Looks like I am going to have to browse the forums to see what ports need unblocking/forwarding.

Cant run it at full graphics even with my rig (only got 320mb video ram ) but still looks OK and runs smooth so far.

Oh...and only took about 20 mins to install from start to finish, and that included registering with Rockstar and Windoze Live.
Quote from pipa :
After a lot of people having performance problems im not too sure about it anymore.

you'll find said people are the ones who dont realise there 5 year old dell cant do max settings.

The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG